#Coffee Machine

Deb0
Level 9
Mendocino, CA

#Coffee Machine

Getting ready to purchase a new #coffee maker for my Airbnb listing. Wondering which kind will be best? I'd like something reliable, easy to operate and easy to clean. Prefer no plastic on the parts touching hot water/liquid. Any suggestions? We are replacing a basic Mr Coffee unit that works fine but is getting unsightly (the white plastic has coffee stains that won't come out...). 

We've had a French Press in the past that was great but breaks easily. We have also had a Keurig which was easy but expensive and has wasteful packaging. Would consider the French press again but not the Keurig.

What's your favorite coffee maker for your listing? Should I get a grinder also and go for whole beans? I'm not a coffee drinker, help!

10 Replies 10
Monica4
Level 10
Ormstown, Canada

I like the stainless steel Cuisinart, but have had two fail under warranty. I did receive free replacements. I will never get a white coffee machine again because they stain and then look dirty.

Thanks Monica, I'll research that one. Yes, the white plastic was a very bad idea for coffee! Do you use whole beans with a grinder or ground coffee? I've been buying fresh ground but did recently have a guest ask about a grinder. I wonder if this might be a good thing to add to the listing for coffee connoisseurs?

I'm also curious about coffee maker recommendations...trying to revive this question. I have seen iffy Amazon reviews for most coffee makers. 

Barb6
Level 10
Stevensville, MI

As a guest I disliked the french press.. too much messing around. I just want coffee.

We have a fairly simple MR. Coffee with a time. Works great. No issues.

Thanks. Can you share a link? I read reviews for 2-3 different machines, including Mr Coffee and while there were many positive reviews, there were also some negative reviews. That generally makes me scratch my head, but not going to worry too much about it. LOL.

I used to provide expensive coffee makers I now just provide a very basic maker but choose a thermal carafe model with a timer for those that like to have coffee ready when they wake up. I like this one Mr. Coffee Optimal Brew 10-Cup Thermal Coffeemaker System, PSTX91 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0037ZG3DS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_rf7gybHAF6AWZ

if if you chose the $15 glass model but two or at least an extra caraf as models tend to change quickly and eventually it will get broken. 

Andrew - see community help guides for many great FAQ

Black & Decker DCM600B 5-Cup Coffeemaker, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001NXC5YC/ref=cm_sw_r_oth_api_5i7gyb1EABS9Q

Andrew - see community help guides for many great FAQ

Has anyone ever considered getting either Keurig K50 or K55? These two seem to be quite popular and functional coffee brewers. Would love to hear your recommendations if they're worth the purchase! 

Melinda56
Level 1
Grand Junction, CO

I have the same question and observations, so following this thread!  I don't have a kitchen, just a basement suite with a bathroom, so although I considered the stainless French press, ruled it out because I don't want a big mess. and it would be a hassle that guests might not be up for.  I agree with the pods being wasteful, unhealthy, and the systems unreliable.  There is a system I am considering (actually have it in the cart) called the Podhead Ebox which received excellent reviews on Consumer Reports.  It is new and uses paper pods.  This type of system appears to be the cleanest and the single cup option probably the most efficient, as most guests will probably not want to make a whole pot.  I have spent hours searching and am still looking. I'm pretty shocked by the low reviews, even among the very expensive machines.  I take coffee seriously and want to provide the best cup without risking property damage.  

Susie5
Level 10
Boston, MA

Hi @Deb0, would it make sense to just replace the carafe? from Goodwill or similar?

Re the Keurig, I have had good luck with that, buying the pods at Costco for about $0.33 each (Kirkland Bold).  I also pick up pods when they go on sale at various places so that I have a variety.

There are also pods which are less wasteful with less plastic, I believe the brand was San Francisco Bay (through Amazon, about $0.36 each) but I didn't find the flavor measured up to the Kirkland Bold. 

One other option - the best very coffee I ever made (but it takes a bit of fussing and I am SOOOO lazy) is the Aero press - it uses a plastic contraption and a small round paper filter.  It makes the absolute best coffee, one cup at a time (I suppose you could make it do two) and it produces a nice little "hockey puck" of coffee and filter which are ideal for composting.  You also need a kettle for that one, of course.  
Good luck - keep us posted on what you choose!  Susie