Coffee Options...Does anyone charge for Coffee? Is providing coffee worth the Hassle?

Trapper0
Level 2
Brigham City, UT

Coffee Options...Does anyone charge for Coffee? Is providing coffee worth the Hassle?

First off, we are not coffee drinkers, so never really thought about it when we started hosting.  We have been hosting for over a year now and have had about 30+ guests.  So far only one has complained that we did not have a coffee maker.  I wanted to provide this as an option as I'm sure we get some coffee drinkers and there are no coffee shops near us.  I purchased a Keurig and some of the pods and I assumed I could charge for each pod, so the people who want coffee could just pay for it.  After looking around on the airbnb help and community, I don't think anyone charges for Coffee (or does anyone?).  It looks like either coffee is provided and free, or it's not provided.  Also, I'm not sure if it's even allowed with Airbnb because they don't want you dealing in cash and it appears there's no way to pay for it through the website.  My concern is that this could get very expensive and time consuming and I don't want to raise the rate for everyone for those who want to coffee.  I also worry about the fact that I'm a coffee illeterate, that I won't provide the right cream, sugars, etc. and this might just be something for others to complain about.  I'm considering the following options.

Provide the Keurig to guests and charge them for the cost of the K-Cup Pods (if this is even allowed).  Also would people complain that the coffee wasn't free?

Provide the Keurig to guests but inform them in the listing that they must provide their own K-Cup Pods or grounds.

Keep things the same - Return the Keurig and just make it clear to guest that we have no coffee or coffee maker.  I assume if people know this in advance they can purchase their own instant coffee if they want it in the morning.   Again, after a year of hosting, we have had only one complaint.  I just worry if we don't do something, we may get more complaints in the future.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

27 Replies 27

I would be (and was) so unhappy at an Airbnb without coffee or with bad coffee.  The one I stayed at provided stale cheap ground coffee, fake non dairy creamer and sugar.  There was no way to make a drinkable cup of coffee.  Instant no way.

In our Airbnb we have a little 2 cup Mr. Coffee drip coffe maker, a Melitta filter holder and filters, ground Starbucks dark roast and decaf, variety of tea, real milk, soy or almond, sugar, honey and artificial sweetener.  It is no trouble and not expensive.

We use the shelf stable milk and soy from the Dollar store.  A dollar a quart and it is real milk.  Often the guests don't even open it but if they do we use it up in our house.

Trapper0
Level 2
Brigham City, UT

Thanks for the tip on the Melitta Coffee Maker.  It seems small and simple.  For the melita and a package of 40 filters, it was only about $20.  I also decided to purchase a mug set for the house ($30), Sugar dispenser ($10), Disposable to-go cups ($16), Mini-Moo half and half cups ($8), Non-Dairy creamer cups ($10), and splenda packets ($3).  So I'm pushing $100 to set up, and I havn't even got the Coffee yet.  We'll see how it goes.  

My wife, does not like the smell of coffee and so hopefully she won't complain about coffee smell after the guests leave if they just throw the grounds and filter into the trash or leave it out.  ANy tips here.  Probably not because most most people like the smell of coffee.

We'll try it out for a while.  Like I said before, I hope I'm not just opening the door to more complaints because I don't have exactly what people want.  

Any tips on coffee brands?  Folgers?  Maxwell House?  Something basic and nerutral I suppose.  

@Trapper0

Unless you aim to be a 5* boutique hotel type of establishment with prices to match, providing the basics will do. Coffee is so individual that trying to please them all is nearly impossible and most will bring their own anyway.  I have had leftover German coffee, Dutch coffee, even K-cups for a Keurig even though I do not have one and they do not exist in Norway !

Do not provide anything that you feel will go to waste, except maybe the ground coffee. Heavy coffee drinkers will drink anything in an emergency, then go off and buy their own favourite brand.  The main thing is that you provide an option to actually make some half decent coffee.  

Ask your guests to take out the garbage as part of the house rules.  Most will obey 🙂

@Trapper0

Coffee preferences are soooooo~ different you will never be able to please everybody! It's like trying to make EVERYONE'S favorite meal. 

Personally, I think you can skip the to-go cups 🙂 Most people who like and drink coffee will not bother to get drip coffee using Folgers/Maxwell House coffee grinds "to-go" (not worth the hassle).  They might have a cup to 'wake up' before heading out but will probably stop at the first Starbucks or decent looking coffee place they pass~ 

@Trapper0 - it seems that Buzzbru is very popular in your area. I'd pick up a small bag of coffee from them and let your guests know that it's a local company. I try to put as much "local flavor" as possible into my space. Guests seem to enjoy it. And I would definitely put some hot chocolate mix in your space. Though that could get expensive in your neck of the woods. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Trapper0 uh... we are off site hosts and we have provided filter coffee maker at the begining, but it was not used very often.

Then one guest left the plastic pot lid on the coffee maker hot plate and it melted. Then another guest left empty pot on the hot plate and it almost crack (we arrived on check out just on time to turn it off) so we decided not to offer coffe maker any more. Guests are just to careless 😞

Now we just offer a kettle and 3 variations of instant coffee . There are also 2 coffee shops near our apartments .

Annette76
Level 10
Cherry Log, GA

Glad that you made the decision to offer a coffee setup. Personally, if I can't walk somewhere to get a cup then I'd be flummoxed! It's worth the cost in good will to have it on hand. 

I'd skip the folgers type brands. Just remember coffee does go stale so buy in small quantities. Also, the shelf stable milk from the dollar store or Amazon is a good option. 

Personally for me, setting up a coffee and tea station is fun.  

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Trapper0  This discussion thread about to coffee or not to coffee is a great example of how the host community is so diverse.  I can see that your listing is very popular and more than meets most guest expectations.  That you took a guest's feedback and explored options about coffee lets me know that you are a wonderful host.

Carol-Lee1
Level 9
Montevallo, AL

Personally I would be upset if there were no coffee or no way to make coffee.  I provide a one cup Keurg coffee maker and pods of several different kinds of coffee, hot chocolate, tea and cider.  I provide non refriderator half & half, sugar and substitute.  Most of my guests have taken advantage of the coffee maker.  It's all tax deductible so if you keep track of what you spend, you can take it off your taxes.  So far no one has abused it or used up all the coffee pods.  One guest bought non dairy milk but I can't provide that because so few use Almond milk and I don't use it either.  I always ask if there is anything special they would like before they arrive so I feel I'm covered.  Sorry for the double post on the topic.  I didn't think the first one went through....woops!

Barry-and-Lera0
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

We have a Keurig and a regular coffee pot brewer because everyone is different. We leave local ground coffee and local K-cups for guests. We do not charge for these items as its typical even a budget hotels to have coffee for guests. 

If the cost is really a concern than bump your nightly rate up a couple bucks. Problem solved.

Trude0
Level 10
Stockholm County, Sweden

Definitely keep the machine, or buy a different kind (filter), but do offer good coffee. ! If I were a guest, I would not book a place with no machine, and would be disappointed if the coffee was not good. My place is far from the nearest coffee shop, and I have a Nespresso machine, and offer pods, tea bags, regular small milk packs, sugar and sweetener. Nothing fancy, if guests have special wishes for a particular type of mikj/creamer/sugar, they can buy it themselves. Milk and sugar portion packs bought in big cartons, cost per guest close to nothing. Pods slightly more expensive, but I think it’s worth it - I’ve checked most brands and stay away from some that are not great. What you could do to keep costs down, is to just offer a small supply (1-2 days’ volume) on arrival, and hope that longer staying guests buy their own after that. (But be prepared that they may come and ask for more.)

Environmental concern: Agree with what someone else wrote, pods are not that friendly. If it wasn’t for the fact that I happened to have a pods machine that was not in use, I would probably have looked into a drip/filter alternative instead. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I have to say I'm really shocked by the Keurig craze. The pods are environmentally unsound- non-biodegradable and add to the waste stream. They contain plastic and aluminum, both health hazards. I would never drink out of one, nor offer such things as a host.

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

Coffee pods are fashion. I don't like it- too much plastic and chemistry and less coffee.