Should I provide a Coffee machine?

Should I provide a Coffee machine?

We don't drink coffee or tea so I'm a bit in the dark when it comes to the coffee and tea world. For those of you that supply coffee and tea is it popular? We're thinking about buying a coffee machine. Do we buy an espresso machine or a coffee capsule machine?

Thanks,

Sonja

33 Replies 33
Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Sonja85 Coffee and tea are two very popular drinks so I would advice to at least provide a drip coffee maker it isn't too expensive as compare to capsule coffee machines and you can buy powdered coffee at a relatively inexpensive cheap. Good luck!!! 

@Sonja85 * inexpensive price

@Oomesh-Kumarsingh0 

In principal I agree with your premise, but when you have four guest consume 250g of Lavazza coffee in two days it might be worth rationing the pods to a limit of one per day per person, proportion control.

Its my considered opinion those guests  decanted the coffee into another container and took home.

Hi Sonja

I supply tea, coffee and sugar automatically. I also run chalets in Bansko, Bulgaria. Itdoesnt cost a lot to give this option and I personally find it makes the guests visit, that bit more comfortable. 

If oyu dont mention it in your material then they cnat expect it, but it will gt you brownie points just by having it there for them. We also try to get a print of milk in the fridge for peoples arrival as most guests really appreciate a dirn kwhen they get somewhere. It just helps them unwind and settle in that easier. 

I also offer non caffine tea bags........ herbal tea as you say not everyone drinks tea and coffee 🙂

Its al ittle gesture but it goes a long way. 

Thanks

liz

Christian65
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

I'm a coffee drinker so at my place I have a Nespresso machine with capsules, a regular coffee maker and instant coffee and also some tea for guests to use.

I my self love to have the option of making coffee in the morning and those machines are cheap so I'd go ahead and buy one and have some tea also but it's not that guests require it but its so nice to have and it's really a small expense to the comfort it brings.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Sonja85

Think of the nationality of the majority of your guests and provide the most common/popular option.  Some way of making coffee is usually a standard equipment in a holiday rental.  

Personally I have a Nespresso as it is a non-messy option and the machine itself is small and take up little space.  I also have a simple & inexpensive pour-over filter holder and matching jug just in case of different tastes.  A french press would do as well.  

Imo some of the cheap drip machines make awful coffee 🙂

Annette76
Level 10
Cherry Log, GA

At a minimum I'd have a nice electric kettle and a french press. At my place I have an electric kettle, a French press and a Keurig. A few tea bags and 4 k cups for the coffee maker for that first morning and they are set. I also leave a small creamer in the fridge and an assortment of sugar packets. Here in the states you can buy the sugar and sugar substitute packets in reasonable amounts and they will last on the shelf for quite a while. Keep in mind that coffee and tea will go stale, so don't buy a huge box thinking you can use those for a year. I don't leave ground coffee for the press as it's hard to keep it fresh, but real coffee lovers will bring their own if they see there is a press in the listing. 

@Sonja85

Considering you do not drink coffee/tea, I would suggest a for coffee either a Keurig or Nespresso and also some Instant. For tea, a couple tea bags each of black tea (Liptons), green tea, and caffeine-free herbal tea (peppermint or chamomile). Also an electric kettle is cheap and easy to use. You don't have to please everyone^^ Having just the basics is usually enough~~ 

I personally haven't seen/tried a drip maker that makes coffee the way I like, and keeping filters and relatively fresh ground coffee might be a bother as well. I think for your situation, some sort of capsule machine makes more sense. 

I disagree with Sonja.  Capsule coffee machines like Keurig produce a lot of waste, are expensive per cup, and may be difficult to find good coffee near your location.  There are some health concerns about the plastics and aluminum in the pods.  Ground coffee can be kept fresh by storing in the freezer, so either a drip pot or a French press seems like a better option.

@Karen1266  I agree. I can't believe so many people are either completely clueless about the environmental impact and health risks of these, or simply don't care because it's convenient.

As far as storing- many people keep coffee in the freezer, but it's not the best option. The natural oils in coffee dry out in the freezer, making it less tasty. The fridge is a better option. 

@Sarah977, @Karen1266, I too can't believe that so many hosts push for Keurig. Though I have read that some cups can now be put on the compost. But hey, this means the GUEST must separate the compost and actually have a place to place them, seems unlikely to succeed.

An Italian classic ''riser'' for those who can use one, a plunger for those who can't is plenty for me. I drink the Italian riser myself. But the K-cup thingy drives me insane. Individual packaging for anything when not necessary is just not good. I know many guests are environmentally aware (they are not silly, right?) and many, many find my compost bins, separate their recycling etc without me saying anything. 5*.

All Keurig pods will be compostable in Canada by the end of this year. Not the lids, though.

@Karen0

Ground coffee should NEVER EVER be stored in the freezer unless you vacuum seal it and you need to store the ground coffee for longer than 6 months.  

And unless you provide freshly ground coffee, a french press will make bad coffee taste worse. I'd rather drink instant anyday than french press coffee using stale grounds 🙂 

If convenience and shelf life is key, I'd suggest something like Starbuck VIA? I've found it to be way better than bad drip coffee. As a coffee drinker, I hate it when people don't store ground coffee properly or provide old, stale ground coffee. Such a waste~~~ 

Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

@Sonja85 

I'd get a Keurig and buy a box of the "Donut shop" capsules... This link: Keurig & Capsules show several. Good deals are the K55 or the K15. It would be around $79 + $34 (for 48 coffee capsules) 

Most hotels have Keurig (or similar machines)

I get the same as @Jann3 and my guests seem pleased.