Coffee, tea, breakfast - divide and separate

Cathy8
Level 8
Sydney, Australia

Coffee, tea, breakfast - divide and separate

Hi everyone,

I write to say firstly how much I love the expanded amenities offerings you can check for your listing. In Washington, DC where I host it's getting very competetive and amenities matter. That said, I wonder what everyone thinks about the new field "breakfast" (originally I believe listed as "coffee, tea, breakfast")? 

Here in DC if you offer breakfast you can be classified as a Bed & Breakfast and that changes everything from permits and licenses to health and safety and fire inspections.  For example, if you are classified as a Bed & Breakfast then every surface in your kitchen has to be non-porous, every window air conditioner unit with it's own dedicated circuit on your power board, and every power cable secured to avoid tripping.

So not many of us serve breakfast but we do offer our guests unlimited complimentary coffee and tea which my guests always comment that they appreciate. I know a lot of you probably do the same. So my question is, what do people think about an additional field below the "breakfast" field saying "tea and coffee"?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Cathy

20 Replies 20
Barbara-And-Randy0
Level 3
Lanesborough, MA

I would like to see this amenity separate. I provide plenty of drinks and a light snack but not breakfast. I think it is confusing to guests when it is all listed together!

Kati18
Level 7
Vancouver, Canada

I previously had the category ticked on my listing because I provide a light continental breakfast (cereal, yogurt, fruit etc.) along with coffee and tea.  However, my fear is that with how it displays now my guests would expect a fully served breakfast - which I don't even eat in the morning cause I'm usually running out the door to work!  I'm not sure if this will hinder my listing but I'd rather them not have the expectation and then wow them with the extras that I do have.  Always better to under promise and over deliver.

Even if the description gets narrowed down to specifics, guests don't always read the full listing.  As we've hear time and time again on these boards.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why not explain what your breakfast consists of in your listing. And reinforce with a photo of your table set for two or however many is normal at your place with the items.

I absolutly agree. The more you offer the more guests expect. I also do not eat breakfast I too am running out to work early. Therefore, Coffee, cereal English muffin and fruit is offered. At weekends if I'm around cooking eggs I will offer. So far no one has turned it down. Lol!

Ali40
Level 10
Crozet, VA

I looked at it, and on my Amenities I can choose "coffee maker" so I checked that, and I provide coffee, and tea and I mention that in the listing. I do keep breakfast type foods (cereal, oatmeal) but I don't check "breakfast" so nobody will think I'm whipping up a hot breakfast for guests. 

@Ali40 I provide assorted cans of "enshure" to my senior guests.

I actually lived on it for 6 months.

people come to the area and are on a bucket list tour.

only the english guests really suffer.

Getting more and more like VRBO and HomeAway every day...

These things will become searchable eventually, and great for savvy travelers.

Most guests won't read a darn thing, so it won't matter what you tick. We do not offer laundry or coffee/breakfast, and mention it in the listing, but guests always ask for these things. It's be great if they would use the filters once this all gets rolled out.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I agree. Breakfast is just not an option for me, but I do provide a variety of teas, coffee, sugar, hot chocolate and a couple of breakfast cereals.

However, it's also nice sometimes to see that some guests are really pleasantly surprised when I show them this as they weren't expecting any of it, so maybe in some ways it works in my favour not to have it listed. Would be good to have the option though!

Erica100
Level 1
St. Catharines, Canada

I agree. I provide coffee and tea but no food. Always unsure how to answer this check box 

@Erica100 well Twinkies are classified as food and also last for 50 years.

just throw in a box or two.

@Bruce43, you gave me a good laugh!! Twinkies as the new Airbnb SuperFood! 

Welcome0
Level 10
Hicksville, NY

@Cathy0 I know I have gone over the top several times with food, snacks and breakfast. Since many of my guests are foreignors arriving late in the day, I know how difficult it is in a strange city. My current guests have 4 adorable young children.  They become like family very quickly. Gotta stop it or I'm gonna be in the red! 

@Welcome0 yeah, sometimes that happens.....

I suppose it's a sign of empathy.

I try not to exchange emails with those special guests.

Best to let guests just fade away.

On cleaning day between guests, I clean out the fridge. I usually leave anything that has never been opened with a current date. I leave the mustard, Ketchup or Barbecue sauce.

You are right! I shouldn't get emotionally attached and treat guests like my family.  The guests can always go to a local restaurant or deli for take out.

I have a prepared catalogue of brochures of many of these local merchants. This catalogue also has a separate  section of travel maps, train schedules,  NYC events, Broadway shows.

For my greeting at arrival, I'll offer only basic needs for arrival and breakfast.

Tea, coffee, filtered water, pitcher of lemon water, orange juice, milk, stick of butter, croissants or muffins for breakfast, cereal, some fresh fruit. I have staples in the kitchen cabinet. Oils, sugar, salt, flour, etc. (most guests leave behind some fresh unopened packages of chips, cookies, etc) These leftovers is beginning to clutter the cabinets. Gotta clean it out! 

But  @Bruce43, that's what sets us apart from the Hotel industry. The personal touch!