Cohost/Property Management fees

Tamara170
Level 2
Cottonwood, AZ

Cohost/Property Management fees

What are reasonable rates for co-hosts and property managers??? I’m a Superhost with a well established 3-year old listing. Two scenarios:

1)I want to travel and have someone else local be available to oversee that cleaning was done adequately, self check in keypad codes programmed, take out garbage, light yard maintenance and be available in case of the unforeseen. I’ll maintain my listing and online communication with guests. How do I calculate fair compensation for this?

2)I am establishing an Airbnb for a friend who is too busy to do it herself. I will stage the space, advise on necessary furnishings, photograph it, build the listing AND manage the Airbnb. I offered a 50/50 split for the first three months the listing is live, during this time I will also teach my friend how to use the platform herself. After three months, I give her her new Airbnb side hustle business, turnkey. Does this 50/50 90-day split seem reasonable?

12 Replies 12
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Tamara170 STR property management companies in the US seem to charge 20-45%. What is fair depends a lot on specific responsibilities and local market. My local co-host gets 30% of rent + 100% of cleaning fees. She manages cleaning and maintenance, including maintenance of hot tubs, and hauls trash and recycling. She is responsible for all local guest support, including emergencies; I maintain the websites and calendars. We both communicate with guests. In any such arrangement I'd recommend having a written agreement specifying exactly who is responsible for what.

Thanks Lisa723. This is very helpful info!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Tamara170  Unlike a lot of hosts who are new off-site hosts who start out from square one with a co-host or property manager, it sounds like you've been running your Airbnb yourself up to now. So you'd have a pretty good idea of how long all those tasks you'd want a co-host to handle take. I'm sure it would take them a little longer until they get familiar with the place and how you want things done, but you should be able to have some idea if what you propose as a percentage works out to them making a reasonable wage if you worked it out hourly.

There's been co-hosts post here who were really getting taken advantage of by the host/owners, doing all the work of running the place and only ending up making about $10/hr. or less, while being expected to be on call 24/7. As we all know, you get much better work and attitude from people who are being paid adequately, so start out at a decent rate, not too low and if they prove to be stellar at the job, leave yourself some wiggle room to up their pay for a job well-done if you feel it's warranted.

Tamara170
Level 2
Cottonwood, AZ

Thanks @Sarah977  I appreciate and agree with your comments.

Dietrich8
Level 2
Foster City, CA

My onsite host gets 15% for:

- site visit after checkout, collect forms, leave gift bag for next party

- coordinate cleaners (text message)
- 24/7 availability for emergencies

- share guest interaction during stay
- be onsite for service calls (Eg. recently had new washer/dryer delivered)
- stock supplies
Averages an hour per booking. 

I handle everything else: initial interaction, booking, setting lock codes, paying cleaners, taxes, repairs, service, filing forms with city, etc.  We’ll do 20% when they take over all guest interactions.

Valerie780
Level 3
Dingmans Ferry, PA

I'm a host who is looking to hire a management company for a short term while I'm recovering. My question is are host passing these "management fees" cost along to guests? Or just taking the hit financially. Or rising their nightly rates to compensate for the cost? My prices are not that high to start so the 35% they are charging me is going to really eat at my income. Any input would be appreciated.

Afrid3
Level 1
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Hi Valerie, 

I hope this message finds you well. I came across your listing on Airbnb and was impressed by your property. I noticed that you're managing the property on your own, and I wanted to reach out to see if you've considered working with a co-host.

I have previous experience working with Airbnb, giving me a solid understanding of how the platform operates. I believe my knowledge and expertise could complement your hosting efforts, ensuring a seamless experience for both you and your guests.

If you're open to discussing the possibility of collaboration or if you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to chat further. Looking forward to the opportunity to potentially work together. I reside in Dubai. reachable at **
**[Phone number hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

Ellen81
Level 2
Raleigh, NC

For those who use a co-host, did you create your own management form or use a standard form for your agreement? 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

The co-host should provide you with a contract with details of specific services offered , payment terms, service costs eyc @Ellen81 

We both have small studio rentals and are new at co-hosting.  I realize larger established companies have standard contract forms but think it is equally as important for us to have an agreement in writing. Any advise on locating a standard agreement would be appreciated. Thanks!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Ellen81 

I am a co-host and drafted an agreement which I got legal advice on my a local solicitor to make sure it was legally compliant.

I include a list of services and costs. 

I am struggling with a similar scenario.  I have a cleaning company and am a professional interior designer who has been working with an out of towm owner to get his 6,300 sq ft home ready to be a STVR.  We have had to handle literally EVERYTHING up to this point and he has made it clear that we will be doing EVERYTHING once it goes live (went live yesterday).  

I am having trouble figuring out how to price this service.  He doesn't want his contact information listed for guests nor be involved in the cleaning, maintenance, paying vendors, etc.  He will literally just be the owner and I will be acting as the host, single point of contact, scheduling services needed, maintenance, inventory, restocking, on-site needs for guests, everything.  

How should I charge for that?  What should my fees be?  He has a company he is paying 10% of his revenue to take photos and list the property, but the rest of everything is on me.  I just can't determine the actual scope, how to charge (what should be included and what is extra and the amounts), and how to write an agreement for what may largely be unknown.  

Can anyone help?  I'd like to find out what the actual expectations are for a co-host that is actually the host, and complete property management (except advertising and listing) and be able to define what I will/won't be responsible for and how the fees should be charged and what amount.  

This is happening RIGHT NOW so I would be very grateful for any help!