Cohosting

Robyn64
Level 1
Middle Park, Australia

Cohosting

Can anyone share their experiences of Cohosting with me? I was thinking of doing it, but was interested in any tips or suggestions. I am based in Melbourne, Australia. Thanks.

9 Replies 9
Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Robyn64 I have recently read many negative feedbacks from people who were involved in co hosting so i would advice you to think twice before starting. Good luck!!!

Jenny76
Level 2
Stockholm, SE

I did not know that others had issues with cohosting, but good to know.

Recently I ventured out and did cohost with a woman locally who I didn't know previously. I had to leave because our standards of being a host are so vastly different.

My suggestion would be to make it clear before you start out what you expect. I would do it again, but would be way more cautious of who I did it for.

@Jenny76 Co hosting isn't bad but it requires that both the host and co host are on the same line. It is very hard to find people who thinks by the same ways and work by the same effective way. Good luck 🙂

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Robyn64   Hello Robyn,  in the first instance I would direct you to this link. It will give you a lot of information about co-hosting. It will also lead you to find a co-host if you do not have a specific person in mind.

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/1244/how-do-i-add-a-co-host-to-my-listing

If you need further information I would be pleased to advise you!

Cheers.....Rob

Hi Robyn, finding a good cohost is a challenge, we live in Melbourne as well. Our experience was the goal of the cohost was not in alignment with our goals. She demanded we spend $5000 on improvements in the next 2 days, you can imagine the result. List why you need a cohost and develop a plan to slowly hand over the tasks on your plan. Ensure they have the time to deliver quality, we thought a local super host would solve our need for local staff. Peter 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Peter1337

I think Robyn pulled the plug on her hosting Peter.....she is showing 12 straight host cancellations for the end of 2017. I have never seen so many host cancellations on one site before. She has had no Airbnb hosting committments since then!

Your words, whilst being sound are I fear falling on deaf ears!

Cheers......Rob

Thanks Robin. What does your level 10 mean? Is it the superhost volume of 5 star reviews?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Peter1337

No Peter, it means some of us need to get a life and find something better to do with our time!

I have reached a level 10 purely because of my output here on the Community Centre. It doesn't mean that I actually know anything, It just means that I am prolific, you will notice I have over 4,700 posts. Everyone starts out here at a level one but as they make a few contributions to different threads their level will climb until, after about 70 posts they will have achieved a level 10.

Peter I have a lot going on in my life, I have a disabled wife who can't walk any more, I was until a few weeks ago the kitchen coordinator for a voluntary meals organisation and I have an Airbnb listing which is now fully booked month after month. I have a seriously full life and I don't need to be until 1.30 in the morning proffering contributions here night after night!

But, when I started out hosting l got a lot of great advice here,many experienced hosts took me under their wing and got me on the path to being a competent host.

I am here and I am a level 10 because, I want to pay it forward!

Cheers......Rob

Chuck81
Level 1
Simsbury, CT

Offering the co-host's perspective to this thread - full disclosure, my spouse is the primary host, we do it because I'm the more enthusiastic correspondent.  And we share the real world activities and tasks of welcoming guests into our home, with reviews that reflect that partnership.

So, we don't have the misalignment or commercial tensions raised in this thread.  But there is something I wonder if others have experienced or care about:  Co-hosts' ratings and progress and reviews are not linked to the properties they support.  We're basically invisible within the AirBnB performance metrics, which makes no sense (to me at least).  I've offered feedback to AirBnB and gotten the usual cheery "Thanks for your valuable input" that amounts to the end of the conversation.

Has anyone had a different experience?  Does anyone else care?  Seems that if they can figure out how to link every aspect of the transaction that generates (mutual) revenue, it shouldn't be too hard to extend that to reviews and ratings too.