Cohosting

L--Jay0
Level 3
Leysin, Switzerland

Cohosting

I have just had a very bad experience as a co-host. In Switzerland. The Greek owner of the Swiss apartment I co-hosted, has not paid three commissions and fees for cleaning and laundry for the past three guests totalling over 1250 CHFs.  Her comment to me, as co-host, I can ask nothing of her, she can demand me to do anything she wants. Airbnb does not step in and her unethical and irresponsible behaviour will be allowed to continue. My good reputation will continue to support her unit as Airbnb will not take down the previous great reviews that include my name.

I think the co-host situation should not be allowed to continue unless Airbnb gets back involved with handling the commissions based upon the Host and co-host understanding. Otherwise, the situation should not be continued and Airbnb should not connect people as host and co-host. The whole thing has to do with the settings for bookings. She is accusing me of costing her business because the 3 month window took away business from her listening. She has equal access to the listing as I did. I cannot be sure that I changed the time reference for bookings, but she was able to also control the listing... who else has had challenges. Airbnb puts the framework in place for connecting, but has no other responsibility. Does the cohost system work? 

5 Replies 5
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@L--Jay0  How unfortunate that you have been working for such a nasty person. The relationship between a co-host and the host is a private business arrrangement, though. If a host doesn't follow through on their end of the deal and refuses to pay you, all you can do is quit working for them and perhaps take them to court in your local jurisdiction, just as you would in any other job. I agree that it's a bummer that all your hard work is reflected in the reviews that will stay on her profile,  but I guess there's not much you can do about that.

Hi, Sarah  Thank you for your reply. Yes, I have learned my lesson. Co-hosting is toxic. If I ever do it again, but I probably won't, but never say never, I would require an up front deposit. The one who controls the money is the one with the power. 

@L--Jay0   I'm sorry you've found yourself in what sounds like a toxic business relationship.  I think @Sarah977  is right that Airbnb generally regards co-hosting as a private arrangement. I can only refer you to the Co-Hosting Terms of Service:  https://www.airbnb.com/terms/co-hosts

Pay special attention to the wording under "Disputes":

Airbnb is not obligated to mediate disputes between Hosts and Co-Hosts. However, Airbnb reserves the right to conduct our own investigation and take appropriate action.

Am I right in assuming that you were connected to this host through the Co-Host Marketplace during the brief period when that was in operation? If so, I can understand your feeling that Airbnb holds some liability for the outcome - perhaps similar to the way eBay or Amazon are obliged to intervene in a payment dispute between a private seller and buyer.  Since they shut down the Marketplace over a year ago, that's a strong signal that they have no intention of mediating between hosts and co-hosts any longer. I'd still recommend reporting this host's behavior, as Airbnb does still have the ability to suspend her ability to use the co-hosting feature. You'd probably still have to initiate a lawsuit to get paid, though. 

L--Jay0
Level 3
Leysin, Switzerland

Hi, Andrew  My apologies for the delay in responding to your comments. I have been struggling with all this Covid 19 means to us who rely so heavily on these rentals for our livelihoods.   I have tried to get an investigation and have reported it. I assume that in the midst of the pandemic, it has taken a back seat to other more widely pressing issues.  It is chocked up as a lesson learned. Co-hosting via Airbnb is toxic and not to become party to...

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Just mentioning @Anonymous here so he can see your reply @L--Jay0 . 

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines