Collect Sales Tax before arrival?

Collect Sales Tax before arrival?

My listing is an entire home. We Live a half hour away and are usually not there at the check-in, using a lockbox, etc. I have been collecting sales tax using square cash. I have them pay a day or so in advance. Is this OK to do? I always tell them that the sales tax would be fully refundable should a cancellation occur.
18 Replies 18
Paul4
Level 10
Kiawah Island, SC

Sounds like a great idea to me. I think if Airbnb is not collecting the tax in your area themselves they don't really care what you do.

Thank you, Paul. There just seem to be some gray areas open to interpretation, and I like to follow the rules whenever possible.

Air also states to advise guest prior to booking. Do you feel that listing it in the "Extra Details" is adequate? ??Should I put that somewhere else?? It, of course, presumes guest has read everything.

I put it in my house rules - I think this is the safest spot because they have to acknowledge they've read the house rules (even if they haven't) when they reserve. I've noticed the "Other Things to Note" (is that what you meant by extra details?) section doesn't display on the mobile app.

I also let the guest know the tax amount & payment options early on in messaging and again in the message sent the week of their stay. Most are happy to not have it included in the Airbnb total because they won't be charged the 6-16% Airbnb fee on the tax amt.

I've moved it to House Rules. That feels more better. I will definitely mention taxes early in the convo - which is actually why I set it up for SqCash - to get that convo going. Thanks for the input!

I agree with Allison. Let the guest know about this early in the communication. By the way, I like your idea so much I just copied it! Interesting that "other things to note" does not show up on the mobile. My house rules are getting a little long as it is...

Glad to know I helped someone! 🙂 It sure is easy!! I give them the option to do by debit (free) or they can opt to pay that charge using another form. 🙂 Free is usually the option. 👍

Hi David. How do you charge your guests by debit? Presumably not through AirBnB but by some other means? Can you explain so that we can all use this method? And what are the non-free options you offer? Many thanks for your wisdom and insight,

Sarah

PS - Other Items to Note shows up on my mobile (iPhone).

I was looking to book a place in Berlin and I only noticed a reference to tax when I was reading the reviews before booking where the guest said she was disappointed to be told about paying cash for the tax on arrival.  The host pointed out that it was mentioned on the listing.  I quickly re-read listing and it was at the very bottom of a long list of descriptions so I had missed it the first time.  Best to put it upfront in House Rules I think like you've said you'll now do.

Thanks, Lisa. Always learning...

@Paul4  it depends which mobile phone type you have.  I am one of a minority of people who have a Windows phone - Airbnb keep inviting me to use the 'App' but there is none for Windows!  haha.  Lots of things are truncated and I am always nervous when viewing queries on my phone.  Luckily I can still rush home and check on my computer but I will have to think about changing my phone when this contract runs out.

Lisa, sorry for the late reply. I think you should be able to have alerts sent to an email address. No?

@Lisa0, you can visit Airbnb via a browser on your phone, not just using an app. I end up using both my app and a regular browser window, depending on what I need to get accomplished, because neither app nor browser has all the features the other one does.

Well how is this for a thank you??? I told the folks I was not going to charge them because of all discussed here and that I was going to revise my House Rules, etc., so no surprises for anyone in the future. Not 5 minutes after I sent that note, I received his sales tax money!! He thanked me for my honesty and integrity to boot! I sure love it when I get to work with such neat people who understand and appreciate! 💗