Collecting Occupancy Tax

Glenn9
Level 1
California, United States

Collecting Occupancy Tax

Local occupancy tax: has anyone figured out a good, clean way to collect local occupancy taxes since airbnb is not doing this for us?

13 Replies 13

Doesn't air B and B charge tax? Does that go to our local occupancy tax? 

Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

@Glenn9, my city charges a nightly fee per person (€2,90). I've hated having to nickel-and-dime my guests on arrival, so yesterday I determined what percentage of my nightly fee that amount represents, and increased my price accordingly. 

(Interestingly, within 10 minutes of the fee increase, I had a booking for a couple of days in August. So clearly the extra euros aren't an issue. 😉 )

Barbara120
Level 1
Seattle, WA

How do they  make these changes and better yet why?   In La Quinta we are required to collect and pay taxes they recommend separately. 

Sasja0
Level 1
Elizabethtown, NY

My local County government has recently imposed a 3% occupancy tax.  Using a Special Offer as instructed is extra work for the host and guest for EVERY booking!  Incorporating the amount into our rental fee isn't correct accounting as Airbnb will then keep a portion of the tax amount as their service fee, and it will also look like my gross income from rentals is higher than it is.  Airbnb needs to add this capability to standard pricing and then not collect their service fee on that portion.  I don't want Airbnb to collect and remit this to the governement since I am required to file and pay it.

If I am not correct, please explain.  Airbnb should be aware that more and more localities are and will be imposing these taxes.

AirBnB charged my future guest an "Occupancy Tax". Is this what you are referring to?

Tara

Nancy100
Level 1
Denver, CO

I've been trying, in Vain, to figure out how to have my 10% Transient Occupancy Tax added to guest fees and collected.  I've paid this to Placer County, CA quarterly for the 7 years we've been renting our cabin through VRBO.  On the Airbnb host site, it makes it sound like Airbnb automatically adds the tax to the guest's fees and pays it forward for the counties which require it.  Placer County, where this cabin is, does require a 10% "TOT" tax.  I now have two confirmed rentals, but I can't any see evidence that the tax has been added.
Hoping to find the appropriate staff who can assist me to confirm, or get this properly set up.  At this point, if it wasn't done, I'll be paying the 10% tax out of my proceeds for these first two renters.

I'm still having issues with collecting local taxes in Hawaii. Airbnb says to send a request through the Resolution Center. I've been doing this with mixed success. Since Abb doesn't notify you when the request has been paid, I have to keep asking my guests if they received the request. Sometimes they say, no, never got it, and sometimes they say, yes, I got it and tried to pay it but couldn't due to some error with the website. And, you can't even find the Resolution Center to moniter the requests without searching all over the place! Very frustrating! Abb is making it very difficult to collect the tax without annoying the guests. Not Good! I hope Hawaii will pass a law soon to force Abb to collect like some states have done!

Sandy128
Level 1
Georgetown, TX

I'm new to hosting and can not figure out how I am supposed to collect the occupancy tax.  Can someone tell me how it is done?  Thanks, Sandy

It seems that ABB just simply won't add the extra cost line we need to be able to collect this tax.  It would be very simple.  While they are at it, it sure would help to have the option to add other misc. lines for things like extra linens, pet cleaning fee, etc.  VRBO has this and it works just fine.  Please wake up AirBnB!!!

Adrienne59
Level 2
Chico, CA

Since my city, Chico, California, has decided to implement the Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) and has not yet opened an account with Airbnb to collect it directly from guests, we are attempted to get our city to do this and cannot find any information on the process.  If I ran the City Finance office and I wanted to open this account, what would I do?  Who would I contact and how?  I'm called the help line about this many 8 times so far and left numerous messages, and no one has an answer.  Pretty weird, yes?  Indeed Airbnb show add the TOT charge for us if we request it and then just put the money in our account so we can pay it.  What's up with that!?

Amy-and-Brian0
Level 10
Orlando, FL

First, you should check with your state and county taxing authorities if they have a 'direct taxing relationship' with AirBnB. 

For instance, we rent in Kissimmee, Florida. AirBnB does collect occupancy taxes on our behalf but only for the state. They collect nothing for the county, but we still have to pay them.

In our case, the county rate is sizeable: 6%. The state is 7.5%, but is paid directly to them on our behalf. 

We have to file monthly for both - and do.

Pay attention to the news as well on this because Air is making more and more direct relationships with counties and states all the time.

No one wants to pay taxes they don't have to.

Hello, was wondering if you charge the guest this county tax (6%) before they book? If so how did you add this fee , what option? I’m having a difficult time trying to figure it out? I really appreciate any help if possible? Thanks.

Loryn1
Level 1
Oakland, CA

When is Airbnb gong to add a line items for TOT tax? Billing the renters after Airbnb processes the transaction is ridiculous. Such an easy thing to add to the site. Anybody have any info on this? Thanks.