Collecting taxes in NH

Sean141
Level 1
Dartmouth, MA

Collecting taxes in NH

New Hampshire passed a law requiring hosts to remit a 9% Meals and Rentals Tax on all Airbnb transactions, which is in effect in 2017.

Airbnb has enabled hosts in other states to add the required tax to the transaction (like a cleaning fee) but still has not enabled this capability for NH hosts.  Why not?  When is it coming?

Thanks!

Sean

8 Replies 8
Scott222
Level 3
Conway, NH

I wasn't aware that AIRBNB host in other states can add this tax.  I have read posts and it looks like AIRBNB collects some  taxes (vancouver and FL a 6.5% tax- although I am not familiar with the tax in those jurisdicitons).  I have submitted feedback to get clarification on NH tax and asked to allow hosts to add this fee (or collect it for them).  

You mention a new law for 2017 to remit 9% tax, however, I can assure you that if the NH Dept of Rev finds your listing, they will also require you pay all prior year rental tax, which if you didn't pay, comes with a 10% failure to pay and 5% failure to file penatly.  To file, a renter is supposed to use form DP-14 or file elecronicly by the 15th of each month.   In order to file, your supposed to aplly for a license, 30 days prior to renting (form CD-3).

I rent on other sites and they allow the 9% fee, so it would be helpful if AIRBNB would add this.  I think the state Dept or Rev is starting to search sites like airbnb and sending notices to hosts of the tax and license requirement. 

Michael1187
Level 2
Massachusetts, United States

Today I received an email that Airbnb will be automatically collecting taxes for bookings after November 1, 2017

One question that I have which isn’t addressed is that we as NH hosts must include our New Hampshire tax ID in our ad. How then can we comply with this requirement?

A long time ago I listed my NH Tax numbers next to my cleaning fees. I hope the tax guys have to spend an hour trying to find it!

Ron121
Level 1
Campton, NH

I saw something about airbnb in NH will start deducting the 9% tax starting Nov 1, 2017, but I can't find this announcement anywhere.

I found the announcement in my messages, but I cannot see or determine if Airbnb is actually paying any tax on my behalf.  I have two messages in the airbnb tax dept to prove they are paying the nh tax, with no return calls.

Did you find out anything about this? We just started hosting in New Hampshire and saw that airbnb is automatically charging the 9% tax but we had no idea. 

Hi! I also just started doing an Airbnb in NH and can not find this anywhere on the site or “payout” area. Any updates? Do we need to file the form and collect it ourselves?

I just found out today that Airbnb is collecting 9% tax from my guests and every month I have been paying my taxes with the state! It looks like I have been paying 18 % for every booking I get!