Community Commitment Charter - ***DO NOT PRESS DECLINE!***

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Community Commitment Charter - ***DO NOT PRESS DECLINE!***

There's currently a sitewide glitch in the system that is preventing users from signing in when they try to sign up to the Community Commitment Charter. A workaround that has worked for some is by going directly to

https://www.airbnb.com/hosting

***DO NOT PRESS DECLINE***

This has led to many hosts having their accounts cancelled. and all their upcoming bookings cancelled also. 

@Lizzie @Stephanie @Quincy 

Can you try to get some sort of official statement from Airbnb on this issue, on what they are doing to rectify it, and on when we can expect the situation to be resolved please? 

Also, as this is Airbnb's own Community Centre - and this known "glitch" (amongst many others) has been causing untold panic and hardship amongst the host community -  why has no acknowledgement or solution been posted here from the company already? 

Airbnb has a moral and ethical responsibility to its community to keep them informed of issues/bugs/"glitches" that negatively affect their income, their livelihoods and their ability to operate. As such, the company has a duty to warn and update us of any malfunctions that are occurring at any given time. There should be a dedicated section of the Community Centre where they do so, and where hosts can easily go to find out about these issues, rather than being left completely in the dark. 

33 Replies 33
Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Just bumping this so it doesn't get buried, unseen, in the Unanswered section. 

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Lizzie @Stephanie4 @Quincy 

Actually, while you're contacting "The Team", perhaps you could also get an official statement from the company regarding the long-term, ongoing delayed/missing/"lost" payments debacle, and also on the widespread reports that Airbnb is phasing out the co-hosting facility for small co-hosts, and routing the business instead towards the Teams feature (only suitable for large commercial and "professional" operators)?

Three birds, one stone. 

Thank you. 

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Susan17 - thank for all this information, we had a big conversation on this issue this morning and are waiting official comms. 

Thanks again

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

@Stephanie 

You're welcome Steph, but Airbnb already has  all this information. It's answers we need.

You communicated the co-host issue to the team last week (although they'd already been well aware of it because hosts have been reporting it to them since late Oct/early Nov) - yet still no official response. How on earth can it take all this time for them to cobble a few sentences together? 

Perhaps they'd prefer us to just take the whole lot to the media. 

Jennifer1421
Level 10
Peterborough, Canada

@Susan17 

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is the Community Commitment Charter? I can't seem to remember doing or agreeing to this (which, with my memory isn't really surprising).

I haven't actually seen the whole thing as yet, @Jennifer1421 , but from a snippet of a screenshot I have seen, it looks to me as if its the same Community Commitment Charter they had us sign up to back in 2016, when the introduced the Non-Discrimination Policy, to stop us all from being the prejudiced, racist bigots that they clearly assumed us all to be. 

I haven't had time this morning to look into it further - just wanted to quickly post this thread to try and stop people from pressing that d*mn "decline* button and having all their accounts and their upcoming bookings cancelled - but I'll check it out this afternoon and try to get some more details on it. 

@Jennifer1421 

Below was the information we received at the time (2016) from Airbnb regarding the Community Commitment pledge. ..

What is the Community Commitment?

Earlier this year, we launched a comprehensive effort to fight bias and discrimination in the Airbnb community. As a result of this effort, we’re asking everyone to agree to the following Community Commitment (beginning November 1, 2016) in order to continue using Airbnb:

I agree to treat everyone in the Airbnb community—regardless of their race, religion, national origin, ethnicity, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, or age—with respect, and without judgment or bias

How do I accept the commitment?

On or after November 1, we’ll show you the commitment when you log in to or open the Airbnb website, mobile or tablet app and we’ll automatically ask you to accept.

What if I decline the commitment?

If you decline the commitment, you won’t be able to host or book using Airbnb, and you have the option to cancel your account. Once your account is canceled, future booked trips will be canceled. You will still be able to browse Airbnb but you won’t be able to book any reservations or host any guests.

What happens to my payments if I decline the commitment? 

If you cancel your account as a guest, any future reservations you have will be refunded according to the hosts’ cancellation policy. You can expect to see your refund within 7 business days. If you cancel your account as a host, you’ll be paid for completed trips through your usual payout method within 14 business days. For both hosts and guests, Airbnb gift cards, coupons, or referral credits will not be usable. Also, if you owe Airbnb money, we’ll contact you to arrange payment of the balance.

Thanks, @Susan17.

You're welcome, @Jennifer1421. It is the same Community Commitment pledge as 2016, btw, although I have no idea why it's resurfacing now. Some new PR-related thingy, no doubt. 

Maybe part of the push to verify all listings? Who knows...

In any case, as seems usual, it's a snafu. You are dead right that ABB owes a duty of care to its hosts and therefore has an obligation to keep us informed of the many, MANY issues that inevitably arise with automated systems which affect host operations. I agree that a dedicated forum, created, monitored and run/answered by Airbnb techs for such issues,  is the easiest and quickest way to satisfy the platform's obligations vis-a-vis creating reliable and verifiably accurate information.

There is a certain amount of "evil genius" in creating this community centre, and having hosts report and troubleshoot platform issues for free, though, rather than actually paying employees for it.

@Jennifer1421   Here's a screenshot of what mine looked like.   If you clicked "agree and continue" nothing would happen--other than that little message in red at the bottom left.   😛 Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 4.19.20 PM.jpeg

Interesting, @Ann489. Did this pop-up just appear over the last day or so?

Judging from What @George1256 has posted below, it's affecting all members, not just hosts. What a mess!

@Jennifer1421    It just popped up yesterday sometime in the afternoon where we live(mountain time).  It seemed to affect everyone who tried to use the Airbnb site--guests and hosts alike.  You couldn't even simply "browse" for properties.   

It's just a pop up asking you to agree to be a decent human being, not to discriminate etc.

I got it yesterday, clicked accept, and it just hung.

Signed in today with no pop up.

I can see the sense in not clicking "decline" so I just shut the page assuming there was a glitch.

Looks like it's fixed or removed today.