Community Commitment Charter - ***DO NOT PRESS DECLINE!***

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Community Commitment Charter - ***DO NOT PRESS DECLINE!***

There's currently a sitewide glitch in the system that is preventing users from signing in when they try to sign up to the Community Commitment Charter. A workaround that has worked for some is by going directly to

https://www.airbnb.com/hosting

***DO NOT PRESS DECLINE***

This has led to many hosts having their accounts cancelled. and all their upcoming bookings cancelled also. 

@Lizzie @Stephanie @Quincy 

Can you try to get some sort of official statement from Airbnb on this issue, on what they are doing to rectify it, and on when we can expect the situation to be resolved please? 

Also, as this is Airbnb's own Community Centre - and this known "glitch" (amongst many others) has been causing untold panic and hardship amongst the host community -  why has no acknowledgement or solution been posted here from the company already? 

Airbnb has a moral and ethical responsibility to its community to keep them informed of issues/bugs/"glitches" that negatively affect their income, their livelihoods and their ability to operate. As such, the company has a duty to warn and update us of any malfunctions that are occurring at any given time. There should be a dedicated section of the Community Centre where they do so, and where hosts can easily go to find out about these issues, rather than being left completely in the dark. 

33 Replies 33

@Kevin1322 

Unfortunately, when clicking "accept" didn't work for them, many many hosts (and guests) did click "decline" in an attempt to get rid of the pop-up box, which resulted in their accounts being cancelled, along with all their upcoming bookings. 

While the glitch does appear to have been rectified today (at least, for the moment), and most accounts have been reinstated, many hosts have still lost their bookings as their guests had already made other arrangements, and several hosts who I spoke with today were told by their CX agents that it won't be possible to reinstate any of their bookings. In many over-saturated markets, bookings are few and far between, particularly at this time of year, so it's not as simple as the malfunction being rectified - this event has had serious repercussions for a lot of hosts. 

Yes, I can well understand and sympathise with people losing bookings due to the glitch, specially at this time of year.

I didn't realise it applied to guests as well. 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Kevin1322 Ditto ^^ - Exactly the same with me, late evening.

George1256
Level 1
Sault Ste. Marie, CA

Here was my attempt at an answer

George

4:09 PM

My account has been cancelled without my permission. When I went to check on my booking I was shown a community policy and the rest was grayed out,. I either had to agree or decliine< I pushed agree and it hung for over 10 minutes. I pushed decline to leave and retry. Now I have been informed my account has been closed and my booking cancelled. Please help immediately My stay starts tomorrow at 1 pm

󹀁

Please wait while we are routing your case.

4:09 PM

󹀁

Thanks for your message - Airbnb Support is connecting you to a chat agent. Your chat session will begin in 1 - 2 minutes.

4:10 PM

Airbnb Support

4:12 PM

Hi George, my name is Cheryl O and I'm with Airbnb support. I'd be happy to help you today. Give me a moment while I look into your case.

George

4:12 PM

Thanks!

Airbnb Support

4:19 PM

Thank you very much for your time and patience. I know this is a difficult experience for you. We take things like this very seriously, and I want to help in any way I can.

We've run a system checked here on our end, and it seems we're currently having a system upgrade.

The pop up message that you have received was part of the upgrade, and once the decline button was clicked, system cancels the account.

George

4:20 PM

I clicked agree first and it hung forever

Airbnb Support

4:21 PM

We are currently working on to resolve this soon, and we will re-enable all the lost booking and users who have declined during the incident period.

George

4:22 PM

When will this be. I have a booking at 1p.m tomorrow

Airbnb Support

4:24 PM

We are working on to fix this as soon as possible. We are aware that there are upcoming reservations that were affected with this.

May I also ask the email address that you have on your account that was cancelled?

George

4:25 PM

g.houston@shaw.ca

My booking is in Ensenada and I am currently staying at a hotel . However I can;t afford another night and need my place to stay

I received several emails from you and clicked review my account

in every instance

Airbnb Support

4:30 PM

I completely understand where you're coming from with this. But were you able to receive an email that has the option to reinstate your account?

George

4:31 PM

yes

Airbnb Support

4:32 PM

Have you tried to click on the link on the email?

George

4:32 PM

Yes. I have sent two messages to reinstate my account

Airbnb Support

4:36 PM

Thank you for letting me know. Since you have sent the message, this will be forwarded to the team that will help recover the account and re-enable your reservation.

George

4:37 PM

Can you tell me how long this will take?

Airbnb Support

4:41 PM

Fixing this is our priority because we know that this had a big effect on the reservations as well with other users. We are hoping to have this fixed as soon as possible. I may not have the exact time frame.

George

4:42 PM

Can you give me a ballpark figure? Will I be able to go to my house tomorrow?

Airbnb Support

4:44 PM

We do not want to set false expectations, but hopefully resolve this within the day as this is our top priority.

George

4:46 PM

Well Ok. But now our whole vacation is in jeopardy and I hope you will do something to compensate us for this horrible situation

Airbnb Support

4:49 PM

Again, we really apologize for the inconvenience. But thank you so much for your understanding and patience working with me. I really appreciate it. We are considering that as well, given that we had this issue.

George

4:50 PM

I have directions to our place and the codes to get in. My question is has our host been sent an automated message that our stay has been cancelled?

Airbnb Support

4:53 PM

I recommend you to contact the host as well and make the host aware about the situation. The host can also reach out to us to verify with us.

George

4:54 PM

I have no information about the host other than his name is Erick. But I will try and contact him

Airbnb Support

4:55 PM

Thank you very much.

I'm closing this message thread now —feel free to reach back out to us to check on the status of the report that was forwarded to our technical team.

Wow, @George1256, what a huge headache for you, and all other guests affected by this. Really hope it gets sorted prior to your stay!

Hope all works out for you @George1256

@Jennifer1421 

At least George got a response. Still no update for hosts here in the CC from "The Team", of course. They've clearly got better things to be doing with their time. 

I have the same problem with my account deleted and with my reservations in progress cancelled. Ive just received some money as a refund!

But, in additon, an email via airbnb.

Dear Mihai,

Due to an Airbnb error, your Airbnb account was unintentionally deactivated. We are working to resolve this issue and will reinstate your account, as well as any impacted reservations, as quickly as possible.

Thank you for your patience. We apologize for any confusion or inconvenience this may have caused. We’ll be back in touch as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

The Airbnb Team

Now, the account seems to ve laid, but with al history deleted.

I dont know how could I do...

@Mihai78 

Are you sure your account was reinstated? It doesn't appear to be active from this side. 

Yes, im working for it for 48 hours, with emails and others (im journalist). Finally, someone from USA call center called me and assisted me to Regain the account. Anyhow, i lost reservations in progress and i can not Find It A-T the same prices. About the money lost, airbnb official Said that i will get the refunds in my BANK account in 5-15 days

@Mihai79 

Ah, that explains it! Glad to hear it 🙂

I'm not sure I understand about your reservations in progress though. So are you saying that you had guests already in residence when your account was cancelled, that you hadn't been paid for? And then you received some of the payouts for those guests as a refund, and Airbnb are saying they'll pay the remainder of what you're owed for those payouts to your bank account within 5 to 15 days. 

And your upcoming/future bookings? Have they been reinstated? 

So, Im am guest myself.

When Airbnb cancelled my account, Ive made 3 reservations made, but half paid.

When the accound was cancelled, the reservation - cancelled, and the next day Ive already received some refunds as well as the politic of the hosts.

Now, Airbnb said to me thay they will cover 100% of my money lost.

But, anyhow, I cannot have the same price.

An operator said to me to try to speak with the host, to explain the situation and convincing him to make and send a special offer to me!

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Susan17 @Mihai79 @Kevin1322 @Mihai78 @Ann489 et all,

As you have noted, there was a technical bug that impacted a small number of hosts and guests on January 13. The bug has been resolved, but we know that some hosts might have lost access to their accounts or had cancelled bookings as a result.

Our customer support team has been working with impacted hosts and guests to make it right and is standing by to help those that are still having issues.We apologise for the inconvenience and, as always, thank you for jumping in to help and support others in the community.

Many thanks for your patience in this matter,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Stephanie 

Hi ya Steph, no reflection on you guys but, why does it take someone an entire continent away who is not even an Airbnb employee to break the news and try and right the ship on such a serious issue that deals with users accounts?

The second a glitch like this pops up Airbnb should instantly alert all it's users to advise them and instruct them to take no action until officially advised. 

The company's silence in this is breathtaking, expecting outsourcing to take care of their mopping up work! This is Oct 2018 all over again where Airbnb stonewalled all it's Australian hosts for a month!

I love this company but, by God I hate it, they are just absolutely clueless to the destruction they cause to so many innocent people.

Steph if there is one thing you can get across to these people you seem to have some contact with, can you please push for a daily bulletin board for known current glitches, I don't care if it comes to the CC or to our emails.....we can't keep on flying in the dark like this with no autopilot!

Cheers......Rob

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Robin4 ,

Actually, the issue was noticed before any CC comment was made but it made sense for me to share this result here as it is an active conversation. There are many channels users engage with Airbnb on.

In cases like this, we actually identify the issue from the data, for example, if we see a spike of accounts not being able to complete an action on a specific device. Information from the CC helps to give user steps to reproduce and tangible factors to help clarify. Getting the word out to you users is important to us but if the critical information of: what's the fix and when's it fixed is not available (often is because one fix can cause something else to break), it can see wish-washy to say "fixed soon", but I believe it's better to communicate we are working on it then to seem like there's nothing happening.

On the daily bulletin, it's definitely a great idea and something we are discussing next week on the 2020 CC content roadmap so you're bang on the money.

As always, I appreciate your honesty and it's valuable feedback. We just have to kick plugging away to improve things for everyone.

Thanks again,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Agree, @Robin4 - a dedicated space for daily glitches, run by actual employees who can give verifiably accurate advice on workarounds in a TIMELY manner would be a huge boon. I like your idea of a daily bulletin - I worked tech support for a global manufacturer of hardware and software for a time (many years ago), and they published a "hot sheet" each day, giving us a heads up on what was screwing up that day.

As a note: my new glitch today, is that my ratings and acceptance rate have disappeared from my metrics, resulting in the usual "if you want to keep your Superhost status..." flag. Reported, obvs, but as yet unfixed.

Sooooo many issues lately...