Community, I need major help with this one ASAP!

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

Community, I need major help with this one ASAP!

Two guests checked in while I wasn't home. They weren't here when I came home but I came home to this:

-Two of my hall closet doors were wide open (coat closet and a closet in a hallway clearly marked "PRIVATE, No Guest Access."

-My camera caught them "looking" in a room clearly marked "PRIVATE, No Guest Access."

-They left a candle burning

-All lights and fans were on

-There are dog pee pads in my living room and by my door

-They placed food all over my kitchen counter

Do I kick them out and call ABB? Do I advise them on proper behavior? Communication with the young gentlemen has been very polite. I could chalk it up to ignorance/cluelessness, but the opening of the private doors really bothers me.

Help! Think I will get anywhere with ABB if I try to remove them??

42 Replies 42
Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

@Suzanne302 It is your property and you make the decision. Indeed, they have broken your house rules. In this case, you can cancel their stay without penalty. Two ways to cancel. One is to contact Airbnb and ask Airbnb to cancel while Airbnb can relocate them. But drawback is that guest can still leave review for you. Definitely it will not be a good review. And this way, you may have to refund the days they have not stayed.

The other option is to talk with the guests about your rules in person. And hope that they respect. In this case, you may still get a negative review depending on the guests. But personally I prefer that second option unless that your guests have very bad response after you talk to them directly.

Thanks @Mike1034 . When they get back, I'm going to speak with them. Then recap our convo via the ABB app. Depending on how they react when I explain how this whole homeshare with rules works, I may just ask them to leave. They are only booked for two nights. I think they are young, and excited, and clueless.

I've already contacted ABB to explain the situation and ask what my options are. The violation of private areas is what makes me most uncomfortable because those are clearly marked as no guest access.

I think I just need to calm down a bit first as I was very unnerved coming in to these discoveries and this is the first time I've had such brazen guests.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Suzanne302  I think your take on them is probably correct- young, clueless, and excited. And the polite communications pre-arrival are hopefully a sign that they mean no harm. Talking to them is a good idea and asking them how they'd feel if a stranger went to their house and snooped around in areas which were clearly off-limits. Lay out the rules- no candles, turn out lights and fans, no pee pads-take the dog for walks often enough that it doesn't pee in the house and not allowed to leave the dog in the house when they go out. Be respectful of the kitchen, it is shared with the host and you're not their mommy. 

And definitely document in message.

Let us know how it goes. 

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

Thanks @Sarah977 . After catching the girl peaking into the room (twice!) it also caught her exclaiming, "I love it! I love this place!"

The invasion of privacy rattled me for a bit, and I'm glad they aren't back yet as it gives me time to cool off! I'm going to start with..."I'm so glad you are feeling comfortable in my home!" Hopefully keep it light and upbeat, but firm.

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Sarah977 @Mike1034 

And here's the follow up! So they came home and I had my speech all ready...But before I could say anything they let me know they didn't realize this was a homeshare! SMH, right??!! They thought they were getting a whole house for $50/night and a $15 cleaning fee??

Long story shortit's their anniversary and they were super nice so they are staying tonight and finding a hotel tomorrow. I'm working with ABB to get them a refund for tomorrow night.

The ABB rep I spoke with let me know that this guest had one previous stay (no reviews) yet they claim this was their first ABB stay, so I still wouldn't trust them in my home, but I'm happy to refund tomorrow night!

@Suzanne302 why are you giving them a refund??

@Inna22 

Partially because I believe they were genuinely confused. They are young and dumb. And partially because they can still leave a review. And as much as I hate "giving in" for a good review, I'm just trying to make the best of it. And also I know this shouldn't be a reason, but I don't depend on this income, it's extra money for me, so I suppose that makes me a little more flexible than some hosts. I totally would understand a host refusing to refund. But a refund of one night that probably wouldn't have been booked anyway is not a big deal to me.

I'm still pissed about the violation of privacy, and I WILL mention it in the review. I actually let them know I knew they had gone into private areas, so I won't be blindsiding them.

Whether or not he will review me? I don't know. And will it be positive? I don't know. But I feel I've been reasonable and accommodating under the circumstances.

@Suzanne302   You have gone above and beyond for them. You could’ve called Airbnb and kicked them out of the house in the middle of the night if you wanted to. I hope they realize your kindness 

@Inna22 

judging by their idiotic behavior- I doubt

@Suzanne302 I think you’re incredibly generous and kind in your thinking. I don’t believe for a second that they didn’t know what they’re doing. Their behaviour shows utter lack of respect and now they’re trying to bs you. I’ve met people like that before. They think they’re very clever and just don’t care. 

If you don’t have to rely on the income I wouldn’t refund them. You probably won’t get a great review anyway. 

Btw I must admit I could never do that kind of home sharing (we have a separate entry for guests without access to our space) where people could access our lives. I think all of you who do that are incredibly brave and open.

@Christopher-and-Elisa0  Thanks. These guests are really in the minority. I've hosted about 60 stays in my home over the past year and most guests are extremely respectful of the space.

I guess it was just a matter of time before I got one like this! It's a learning experience for sure. No matter how much you read up here in the CC or hear the experiences of other hosts, you don't really know how you'll react or feel until it happens to you. All other behavior aside, it's the violation of privacy that really bothers me with this one. I'm wishing I had just had them relocated last night.

I just have to wait it out until 11am, check-out time and I will be wiser next time!

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Suzanne302   Interesting turn of events, right?  Lately I have taken to confirming with new guests that they are staying in a shared home.  With new guests, I find they get confused by the web site and need to be reminded of the types of accommodations.

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Linda108  Yes! I have heard this has happened to other hosts, but this is my first! It certainly explains the behavior. They thought they had the whole house so they didn't see anything wrong with exploring the closets and spreading out everywhere! Still doesn't excuse the intrustion into the marked private areas, but makes it a little less creepy.

Mark1412
Level 5
Michigan, United States

They looked in the areas marked "private" likely because they where marked "private".

Put up a sign that says "do not touch, and people will touch".. put up a sign that says "wet paint" and people will touch it to see if the paint is wet..

The sign sparks curiosity and a number of people will peak behind the door just to see what you don't want them to see.. It will happen once and a while, probably more than you realize but without the sign it would be worse.