Community Spotlight: April 2018

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Community Spotlight: April 2018

Chairs at Backyard.jpg

Hello everyone,

It is that nice part of the month, when we get to know a little more about a fellow community member. Last month, we had a lovely Community Spotlight by @Lawrene.

This month, we are hearing from a host who I think many of us have a soft spot for here in the CC. Introducing....

Robin.png

Mount Barker, Australia

How long have you been hosting for and why did you first start?

I had my first guest (Luke) exactly 3 years ago today, 12th March 2015! Oh dear, it was like waiting in the delivery room for your first born to arrive, pacing around waiting for that knock on the door and opening it to my new hosting career. I had on two occasions used Airbnb previously as a guest and I have always been one of those annoying people who likes to be a part of anything. I love company. My hosts on both occasions wanted to find out a bit about me and I found I enjoyed the dialogue that hosting opened up and I wanted to have and be a part of that.

Tell us a little about your listing

We bought this property in June 2009 and it was derelict! It hadn't been lived in, or opened up, for a decade. Everything was still here just as though Joyce had walked out yesterday...her hairbrush on the bathroom hand basin, her towel behind the door, her clothes, letters and personal effects scattered everywhere. Although Joyce had departed, nature had moved in though! Termites had eaten out the roof structure! Possums and birds were either resident, or had left abundant traces of their residence right throughout the property. I spent 4 months getting the main home liveable for Ade and I then turned my attention to what was a 60M2 (645 ft2) double garage and storeroom on the rear of the house block. I wanted somewhere for my daughters to stay when they came to visit and for friends. It was pretty basic to start with, a second hand double bed, a few old cupboards that I removed from the main house. I did put in a new ceiling though and gradually worked my way down this space filling the cracks, painting and finishing by polishing the old concrete floor. I never know when to stop though and once I had made up my mind that Airbnb was for me I chased down a great bed, put in an air filtration system, a fridge and bench, did a bit of mosaic work, air conditioning, a library of sorts, stuff that I would want to live when I was away. It is still really just a room, sleeps two very comfortably, with another good quality sofa bed that will sleep a further 1-2. I don't think I will ever finish it though, every week something happens to it, something gets upgraded, probably to keep ahead of the tax man!

How long have you been part of the Community Center and why did you join?

When I created a listing I stumbled on the Community Centre and spent some months just reading. I was such a 'greenhorn' at the whole hosting business. It took me six months to get that congratulatory email telling me I had successful hosted 5 Airbnb guests.....whacko! Those months of reading were great for me and I am sure saved me making many hosting mistakes. Contributors like Dave & Deb, Clare, Deborah, Helga, Gerry & Rashid gave me such confidence, I could never repay these guys enough for their help, and around Sept 2016 I got brave enough to make my first post.

What is your favourite thing about the Community Center and if you could make it better what one thing would you improve?

I do struggle with the odd challenge at home and the CC enables me to leave my issues behind and try and be constructive in other areas. I feel I know a lot of people on the CC, I have learned something of their character, and whenever I have something I am not sure of I know I can get good constructive support here. Contributors come and go, but the support always remains. One thing I would do to improve the CC!.....Fix the direct message 'reply' button!! That 'Oops, can't send your message just now' is a source of continual frustration.

If you could live somewhere else in the world where would it be?

Moorea! Closest to the main island of Tahiti. Moorea is paradise on earth, not just for it's spectacular beauty but the way the Tahitians live. Local custom says, no building can be higher than the tallest coconut palm so, when they construct a building they start at the top of the hill and build down.

Are you fond of music? What would be your ideal genre to hear on the radio?

I love music, I pay my piano for around an hour a day, have all my life. Favourite genre would be Jazz/Latin American music....Antonio Jobin, Joe Gilberto, ('Girl from Ipenema', all that stuff). My favourite artist is jazz pianist Keith Jarrett. Some people don't just play music, they are music, he is a true genius, and I play his 'Danny Boy' absolutely faithfully, note perfect, and wish that arrangement had been my own!

Do you have any hobbies? If you were to try one new thing what would it be?

My hobbies (apart from the piano) are doing my mosaics and drinking good wine! There is always an hour in my day for a bottle of red! At the age of 73 I have to understand that taking up new hobbies means I have a finite time in which to perfect them. Just standing in front of the toilet bowl for more than 30 seconds now means I have used up a sizeable chunk of what is left of my life! I do want to get back water skiing again. Had a boat for many years and it was one of my favourite sports. My balance is still good enough and to get out on the river again would be heaven!

If you were hosting a Community Center dinner party, what would be on your menu? 🙂

Depends on the time of year. I do love my cooking as I have to do it all now and have come to understand the consequences of what you do in the kitchen. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks but, I am learning! For entree I would serve Quail in Aspic: This comes cold as a rectangular block on the plate with a large sprig of mint. Meat is stripped off the carcass of the bird, mixed with Thyme, red grapes and finely cut roasted chestnuts and set in weak strength Cognac aspic! Main would be Salmon Wellington: A side of Atlantic Salmon topped with cream cheese, chopped leak, Dill and rolled in Fillo pastry sprinkled with poppy seed and served with a mushroom roasted in foil with plenty of butter, and asparagus spears! Desert would be a Creme Brulee. I have finally got it to the point where I don't burn the milk and I get a reasonable crust!

Tell us one fact about you!

I hate gardening! Ade loved it but can no longer take part so, when she is here she sits on the verandah with a bottle of bubbles and 'barks' instruction at me to the point where the only gardening I want to do is dig a hole, climb in and pull the earth back over me!

Thank you Robin for taking the time to share a little more about yourself. There are so many interesting part of your life and personally I am so pleased you feel the Community Center is a little haven for you to share what you are going through and talk with others. Thank you for everything you do for our community here.

Please do feel free to response to Robin with any questions about the above or share any nice comments, I am sure he would love to hear from you. 

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

43 Replies 43

Bravo! I'm excited to learn about the Community Spotlight!

@Robin4, oh my... what you have done!  CRAZY amazing!

Best,

Kim
Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

Robin your place looks Superb! It is so nice to read your spotlight and understand how much of your time,dedication and passion that you have put in order to make your property what it is today.I know that you are now facing a very challenging period in your life and i have a lot of respect for you because many would already abandon hosting by now.Something that you did not do.Hats off to you Sir!!!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aww @Robin4, when I first read your replies, I thought it was great that you are such a fan of Jazz and Keith Jarratt. I have listened to a lot of his music and he certainly has a regognisable sound.

I also a fan of Bill Evans, Oscar Peterson. Have you listened to Esbjörn Svensson?

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Lizzie

Yeah Bill Evans maybe, not so much Osca Peterson, liked Errol Garner much more  and no, I have not listened to Esbjörn Svensson, but now you mention it, I will.

Over the next few days, at the risk of boring everyone sh*tless I will post a video of my interpretation of Keith Jarrett's Danny Boy...being originally of Irish extraction how could I not feel a real empathy for that song and for this masters rendition!

Cheers......Rob

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Robin4, we can have a little jazz session here in the Community, it sounds amazing! I would love to hear you play. 🙂 

I don't think you would want to hear my piano playing here in the CC, I am a little rusty.

I do wonder what you will think of Esbjörn Svensson, I would try a few different songs before making up your mind!

--------------------

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Robin4

It was lovely reading this article and especially about how you learnt so much from other hosts on the CC. I have to say that you are one of the hosts I have learnt the most from since I first starting using the forums. Your advice has been invaluable to me, especially in stopping me from writing a ranty, personal response to a less than favourable review...

Your dinner party recipes also sound fantastic. If I'm ever in your neck of the woods, I hope I get to sample them 🙂 I would in return help you out with the garden. I'm not the most greenfingered person (a bit hit and miss on what I manage to keep alive) but I do enjoy a potter around in the sunshine, so don't dig that hole for yourself just yet!

Hi @Robin4

It was lovely reading your article & getting to learn a bit about you, Ade & your wonderful listing.

We feel that we've learnt a lot from folks like you, it also took us time to pluck up the courage to start contributing to the CC in the early days.

If only we could come round for that scrumptious meal at your place, loved the music selection,too- provided you wanted to invite us, that is- what an event that would be.   Aaaahh!

@Βασίλης-and-Ann0

Vassili, you and Ann would be amongst my first invites. What I love about you guys, you are gentle folk, you have a lovely down to earth nature about you. You would not be leaders in the dinner conversation but every now and then you would come out with an absolute gem that would split the party up!....Yes, you are definitely on my list.

@Huma0 is also a must on my list! Any evening needs style, that person that will turn up impeccably dressed and add a touch of class that the rest of us can spend the night off-setting.

Nine months ago I did not know @Fred from a bar of soap, but I just love achievers....pity Fred wasn't one of them!!! Fred has such diplomacy skills that he would have the capacity to keep all the ego's around this table in check. I have always loved to talk about myself, and Fred has come out of the same mould as I have....he is a definite starter! 

I am not sure about @David! Dinner parties need big personalities and anything that requires more than 10 words is a major statement on David's part. But in all the time I have seen David's contributions he has never said a solitary thing that I could criticise.....apart from leaving his dogs out in a snowstorm! I think any dinner party needs a straight shooter....and preferably one that does not belong to the NRA, so, I think David would get a gurnesey!

Not for a second would I consider staging a dinner party without @Sandra! As an Aussie I need all the local support that I can get dealing with all you foriegners....and if all else failed, Sandra and I could stage a bed linen ironing demonstration that would leave you all gasping in admiration!

I don't have a muso to turn to amongst the ranks of the forum but, music appreciation would have to be high on the list of pre-requisites and for that reason there would be a chair around the table for @Lizzie.

The invite though, would be conditional on her not once mentioning the CC or Airbnb. Dinner parties are for good times, not dragging up the same ol sh*t!

I have thought long and hard about having @Ria and @Helen at this table, but they, being Kiwi's, there is something of a conflict in dialects here. Girls, you must understand that in the English language a 'di*k' is something that belongs on a man....a 'deck' is something that you go outside and sit on and enjoy that lovely NZ air! If I gave you an invite you would both have to promise me you would brush up on your English skills or I could see the dinner party getting out of hand!

I never thought I would say this but every dinner party probably needs a 'horse-whisperer'! The stories tend to get bigger and bigger as the night goes on until they reach Aquine proportions, and it will no doubt need @Rebecca to keep these runaway stories in check. I just hope she would not expect a boat mooring here in the Adelaide Hills, that may be a touch difficult to arrange!

No dinner party is complete without an Asian influence, and preferably one that has bridged that linguistic gap between East and West seemlessly. So @Jessica & Henry would round out my first dinner invitation list. We may all even learn how to say that few necessay phrases when  Kim Jong Un has taken over the inner recesses of Donald Trumps brain!

I think 12 is a nice number to round out a dinner party. Nobody has to shout another down, and yet a table of 12 is still intimate, inviting! 

For my part, I would promise some nice food and some outstanding wine....and revel in the company of you all!

Vassili, you are in there mate!

Cheers.....Rob

So honored to be on your guest list @Robin4!!!!!! Also to contribute Henry and I would definitely volunteer to help you clean up 🙂 

Your posts are always so insightful + humorous...... I look forward to them very much each time I log onto the CC and as a couple we greatly admire you and Ade.

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Robin4@Lizzie How wonderful to feature Robin! And Robin what a delight to read your feature as many of us have been and continue to be your apprentices and or students here on the CC. It is a place of many facets and for those searching for advice, support and some good positive reinforcement and I'm one that's really grateful for that from folks like you Robin. 

Cool to read about your interest/ passion/life  esp. Jazz - it is in my blood as well Robin somehow. I toured many years as a professional Jazz/Tap dancer with all Jazz musicians and the old hoffers from long ago - they are unfortunately not many left but that world of jazz and dance and hoofing are alive, well and thriving with the new generations and technology abounding.  

Sure would love to come join you and your sweet wife for dinner and oh that cheesecake looks mighty fine!

I wish you all the finest and I thank you for your attitude and kind nature that inspires!

Blessings & Happy Hosting, Clara 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Clara116    Oh hell, another muso interest, I should have included you in my dinner party list Clara!!

Clara, I am in the process of working out how to post a couple of piano jazz tracks that I do here on the forum. I have recorded 6 tunes that I now have as video files but I am struggling how best to put links to them on the CC! Do I do it via U Tube, Vimeo links? I really don't want anything as public as U Tube because it can lead to a lot of attention, wanted or not! 

I would be lost without my music, it gives me that escape that I need, to get me away from the trials that have to be faced. I do like sharing it though. When I first perfected Keith Jarretts version of Danny Boy, I was so proud of it. You can play a piece a hundred times though Clara, but as soon as you decide to record it, the fingers go to jelly and the mistakes happen. I had more than 40 attempts before I got it to sound ok! I went down to Ade and I said proudly..."I have done it, do you want to hear what I have been working on"? ....and she said, "Not now I am watching something, maybe tomorrow"! I just slinked off deflated, I just wanted to share what I had done with someone! 😞

Hey Clara, we are all learning all the time, every hosting teaches me something! I love Airbnb and the lovely  people it has brought to my door but most of the credit must go to the wonderful people here Clara. There is an answer to every hosting question here in the CC. If something I may have said has helped you, Clara that makes me feel really good....that's what we humans are here for, to help!

Cheers.....Rob

@Robin4 Wonderful to hear from you. OK what I'd do is put those tracks on Youtube but make it private and you can allow certain people to view them. I have a jazz drummer friend in Germany and he has many sessions on youtube and some he makes private and that's special for those with access. I don't think it will be really difficult to do as I think when you upload before publishing it will set it up for public or private. when I get some time I'll check it out and let you know what I discover Robin. 

Funny, I am also a volunteer for Meals on Wheels but not doing it at the moment as other service/helping of friends/family have come first. I have learned with time and age that my actual purpose is to serve - to help.....when we can focus on others and serve God life becomes much sweeter not matter how traumatic, hard and difficult. More from me later Robin - hope your day with Ade and Betts is filled with joy. happy hosting, Clara

@Robin4 I haven't had time to figure out the Youtube thing yet Robin. But, I do wanna hear all your music as I am sure it is filled with heart and soul. I know how that is when your mate just doesn't quite get how it drives your soul, pushes you forward and warms your heart in the deepest place. for those without that - well, Robin, how can they know it? When I hear some cool music and break out into some cool riffs and my David says what's that noise - ouch - well I know it's magic and not noise. So I get it! Wanna hear your music, indeed.

just thinking about that and wanted to pass it on good man.

Best & Blessings, Clara

if you search learnairbnb - or the internet -  From PTSD to Airbnb - you might find something I wrote and see why I started hosting.??? curious what you say?

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

Another lovely entry @Lizzie

ABB would do well to point hosts in the direction of “make your place more like this guy’s” rather than all the “make your place less money” garbage & @Robin4 would be an ideal candidate for emulating