Community Spotlight: April 2018

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Community Spotlight: April 2018

Chairs at Backyard.jpg

Hello everyone,

It is that nice part of the month, when we get to know a little more about a fellow community member. Last month, we had a lovely Community Spotlight by @Lawrene.

This month, we are hearing from a host who I think many of us have a soft spot for here in the CC. Introducing....

Robin.png

Mount Barker, Australia

How long have you been hosting for and why did you first start?

I had my first guest (Luke) exactly 3 years ago today, 12th March 2015! Oh dear, it was like waiting in the delivery room for your first born to arrive, pacing around waiting for that knock on the door and opening it to my new hosting career. I had on two occasions used Airbnb previously as a guest and I have always been one of those annoying people who likes to be a part of anything. I love company. My hosts on both occasions wanted to find out a bit about me and I found I enjoyed the dialogue that hosting opened up and I wanted to have and be a part of that.

Tell us a little about your listing

We bought this property in June 2009 and it was derelict! It hadn't been lived in, or opened up, for a decade. Everything was still here just as though Joyce had walked out yesterday...her hairbrush on the bathroom hand basin, her towel behind the door, her clothes, letters and personal effects scattered everywhere. Although Joyce had departed, nature had moved in though! Termites had eaten out the roof structure! Possums and birds were either resident, or had left abundant traces of their residence right throughout the property. I spent 4 months getting the main home liveable for Ade and I then turned my attention to what was a 60M2 (645 ft2) double garage and storeroom on the rear of the house block. I wanted somewhere for my daughters to stay when they came to visit and for friends. It was pretty basic to start with, a second hand double bed, a few old cupboards that I removed from the main house. I did put in a new ceiling though and gradually worked my way down this space filling the cracks, painting and finishing by polishing the old concrete floor. I never know when to stop though and once I had made up my mind that Airbnb was for me I chased down a great bed, put in an air filtration system, a fridge and bench, did a bit of mosaic work, air conditioning, a library of sorts, stuff that I would want to live when I was away. It is still really just a room, sleeps two very comfortably, with another good quality sofa bed that will sleep a further 1-2. I don't think I will ever finish it though, every week something happens to it, something gets upgraded, probably to keep ahead of the tax man!

How long have you been part of the Community Center and why did you join?

When I created a listing I stumbled on the Community Centre and spent some months just reading. I was such a 'greenhorn' at the whole hosting business. It took me six months to get that congratulatory email telling me I had successful hosted 5 Airbnb guests.....whacko! Those months of reading were great for me and I am sure saved me making many hosting mistakes. Contributors like Dave & Deb, Clare, Deborah, Helga, Gerry & Rashid gave me such confidence, I could never repay these guys enough for their help, and around Sept 2016 I got brave enough to make my first post.

What is your favourite thing about the Community Center and if you could make it better what one thing would you improve?

I do struggle with the odd challenge at home and the CC enables me to leave my issues behind and try and be constructive in other areas. I feel I know a lot of people on the CC, I have learned something of their character, and whenever I have something I am not sure of I know I can get good constructive support here. Contributors come and go, but the support always remains. One thing I would do to improve the CC!.....Fix the direct message 'reply' button!! That 'Oops, can't send your message just now' is a source of continual frustration.

If you could live somewhere else in the world where would it be?

Moorea! Closest to the main island of Tahiti. Moorea is paradise on earth, not just for it's spectacular beauty but the way the Tahitians live. Local custom says, no building can be higher than the tallest coconut palm so, when they construct a building they start at the top of the hill and build down.

Are you fond of music? What would be your ideal genre to hear on the radio?

I love music, I pay my piano for around an hour a day, have all my life. Favourite genre would be Jazz/Latin American music....Antonio Jobin, Joe Gilberto, ('Girl from Ipenema', all that stuff). My favourite artist is jazz pianist Keith Jarrett. Some people don't just play music, they are music, he is a true genius, and I play his 'Danny Boy' absolutely faithfully, note perfect, and wish that arrangement had been my own!

Do you have any hobbies? If you were to try one new thing what would it be?

My hobbies (apart from the piano) are doing my mosaics and drinking good wine! There is always an hour in my day for a bottle of red! At the age of 73 I have to understand that taking up new hobbies means I have a finite time in which to perfect them. Just standing in front of the toilet bowl for more than 30 seconds now means I have used up a sizeable chunk of what is left of my life! I do want to get back water skiing again. Had a boat for many years and it was one of my favourite sports. My balance is still good enough and to get out on the river again would be heaven!

If you were hosting a Community Center dinner party, what would be on your menu? 🙂

Depends on the time of year. I do love my cooking as I have to do it all now and have come to understand the consequences of what you do in the kitchen. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks but, I am learning! For entree I would serve Quail in Aspic: This comes cold as a rectangular block on the plate with a large sprig of mint. Meat is stripped off the carcass of the bird, mixed with Thyme, red grapes and finely cut roasted chestnuts and set in weak strength Cognac aspic! Main would be Salmon Wellington: A side of Atlantic Salmon topped with cream cheese, chopped leak, Dill and rolled in Fillo pastry sprinkled with poppy seed and served with a mushroom roasted in foil with plenty of butter, and asparagus spears! Desert would be a Creme Brulee. I have finally got it to the point where I don't burn the milk and I get a reasonable crust!

Tell us one fact about you!

I hate gardening! Ade loved it but can no longer take part so, when she is here she sits on the verandah with a bottle of bubbles and 'barks' instruction at me to the point where the only gardening I want to do is dig a hole, climb in and pull the earth back over me!

Thank you Robin for taking the time to share a little more about yourself. There are so many interesting part of your life and personally I am so pleased you feel the Community Center is a little haven for you to share what you are going through and talk with others. Thank you for everything you do for our community here.

Please do feel free to response to Robin with any questions about the above or share any nice comments, I am sure he would love to hear from you. 

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

43 Replies 43
Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Robin4 I thoroughly enjoyed having the opportunity to learn even more about you, your wife, and your Airbnb. I know I have benefitted from your wisdom and experience many times here on the CC. Thank you for allowing us to see further into your world! 

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Another great spolight, now featuring @Robin264

To my surprise you have mentioned Antonio Jobim and Joao Gilberto! 

I wish you all the best, Sir. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@J-Renato0......oh those guys were my heros! Tom wrote the music for all those big Brazilian songs, most often in calabiration with Vinicius, and Joao (who had the weirdest singing voice) did all the guitar backing work.

It was popularly held for many years that the lyrics to the song 'Girl from Ipanema' were written for and about Astrid Gilberto, Joao's wife. But this was not true, the lyrics were written for Helô Pinheiro, a young teenage girl who each day used to walk past the 'Veloso' bar where these guys hung out.

It was unfortunate that Joao and Astrid's marriage only lasted for 6 years, for almost all the marriage Astrid was having an on/off affair with Stan Getz who played a big part in making latin music popular around the world and who she ended up marrying after she and Joao parted ways.

@J-Renato0, I still love to play all those original favourites, Wave, Corcovado, Desafinado. The only 'ring in' there I still really like to play is that Bacharach/Hall David song, 'The Look of Love'!

To go slightly off this topic I have a poster which I am quite proud of! 

On a concert tour here some years ago with Carole Bayer Sager, Burt Bacharach was to perform at the outdoor soundshell at a luxury resort high in the Snowy Mountains called 'Lake Crackenback'!

This posted featured a very washed out face image of Burt Bacharach and scrolled across the front of the image were three very prominent words......'Barcharach at Crackenback'!

It's one of those promotional posters that only come along once in a lifetime!

Yeah, my heart is in Brazilian music.

Cheers.....Rob

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Oh My God, you know more about those guys than me, @Robin0.
Reading your coment, I googled to know the whereabouts of Ipanema girl... came to know that now she is an entreupreneur and continue in great shape! Certainly you already know about her more then I 🙂    http://www.garotadeipanema.com.br/

PS: I saw the pics you posted today. The renovation of your house it was fantastic. Really well done!

Maria2027
Level 2
Barranquilla, Colombia

@J-Renato0I love Brazilian and Portuguese music too!  Have you checked Almir Sater, Zeca Pagodinho (Sonho Meu)?  Portuguese, Mariza (Chuva) , Antonio Zambujo, Yamandú Costa (Eu Ja´Nao Sei) with Roberta Sá. Fantastic!  Greetings from Colombia!

Ooops!  @J-Renato0I just noticed that you are Brazilian! All my love!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aww @Gaby, I think you might like this conversation regarding Brazilian music! 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Gail32
Level 2
Langley, Canada

Good Morning:

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your comments about hosting for AirBnB.

I joined in 2015.....................love meeting new people from around the world.

You've made me realize that our homes mean so much more to us and the people we greet.

I seldom come to the community but I think I will log in a few more times.

It's nice to meet people like you both........................

All the best ............Cheers...........Gail (Langley BC)

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Gail32 @Clara116 @Kimberly54 @J-Renato0

@Gail32 you talk about a house being a home!

I met the guy who built this house in 1952. He was incredibly frail as you would expect a 92 year old to be, but his eyes shone as he walked from room to room as though he was seeing a grandson for the first time! This house was his baby and the infant had grown up. Gail, I wanted to honour Rons work, not tear it down.

This was a part of the kitchen before I removed any of the tiles or the electric range!

The original kitchen before I stripped off the old tiles and removed the stove.The original kitchen before I stripped off the old tiles and removed the stove.

This was after I removed everything I didn't want!This was after I removed everything I didn't want!

And this is what became of it!And this is what became of it!

You know people have no imagination! That alcove is filled with all the old tree timber that was left on the block! I cut it, sanded it and polished it. I could have dumped it or burned it but I wanted to make a statement piece out of it and people say to me....'when are you going to fill up that hole and finish it'......boing!

Gail, this house is a home, it has a nice comfortable feeling to it, and Airbnb are in part responsible for that! I wanted a nice environment for guests to come into, not some glitzy gold piece of sh*t like Trump Tower!

Both Ron and I are happy with what we have done here, and a few guests seem to agree!

Cheers.....Rob

Hi Robin: Your home is beautiful.....................and so many memories in the making.

Cheers.....Gail

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Robin4 Awesome - so very cool to follow before and during/after photos - your work looks wonderful. Your sense of style is also to be commended. Great that you shared here for others to see what you can do when you put heart and soul and some grit together. Thanks for sharing. Keep us posted.

Hope times are peaceful and filled with music! happy hosting & music, Clara

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Clara116 @Kimberly54 @Lizzie

Clara, playing Piano for me is difficult, I can't read music, never have been able too.....I look at the page and it is like Hebrew, Thai....it means nothing to me. I know the sound I want to achieve and I mess with cords and notes until I get it. But lets face it that is the way all music starts out!

I hate the sound of pianists who play by ear though, because they try to play everything in three or four pre-determined cords, and although it is the tune, it sounds all wrong. I like it to sound correct....as though, if the composer heard me play it he would say 'Yeah, that's not bad, that's ok!'

What this means is I have to set my arrangement into my brain and it will take me some weeks to get a song to sound the way I want it.

The other thing is, the brain is like a computer hard drive! I can't retain anymore than about 20 songs in my brain at any particular time. If I take another song on I have to drop one off the other end....I just can't remember where I need to go at any point!

I bring this up because it will take me about 5-8 takes to get a song absolutely correct without fluffing too many notes around and I cannot expect someone to stand here and keep the camera rolling for all these stuff-up takes. I am trying to buy a 'selfie-stick' at the moment so I can set my phone up to record myself and post a track or two. I don't know what has happened to selfie sticks but there is not one to be purchased in Mt Barker at the moment....as soon as I can buy, borrow or steal one I will post a track or two as promised. I thought this was going to be quick and easy but it is taking a bit of time.....I will do it because I love showing off!!!

Cheers.....Rob

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Robin4 go ahead show off! We will be awaiting that posting. 😎

Maria2027
Level 2
Barranquilla, Colombia

I loved  your stories! I'm new at Airbnb and I'm enjoying it very much. No hosts yet!  I love Brazilian music too!  And cooking!  All the best to you, you are fun!  (from Colombia)