Community Spotlight: M199

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

Community Spotlight: M199

Sybe_1-1660746378426.png

Hey everyone,

It's time for another Community Spotlight, and this time we're shining a light on Manina (@M199)! She was one of the first to make me feel very welcomed when I joined the CC, so I feel honoured to share today's Community Spotlight with all of you. Enjoy!

Sybe_0-1660746320741.png

@M199 

Manina's gorgeous listing (left) and an autumn view of the area (right).Manina's gorgeous listing (left) and an autumn view of the area (right).

When did you start hosting and why?

My husband and I have owned our cottage since 2003 and used it for personal use only. We retired in 2018, to our cottage for a few months, until we completed the renovations on our main residence.  With our main residence complete and the pandemic in September 2020, I was watching all the people trying to get away from cities and out into the country, but in a secluded way.  We decided that it was time to take on a new challenge to keep ourselves occupied.  We decided to do this to meet new people and keep myself at least challenged.  It has definitely worked well and the number of interesting guests we have met has been a great experience.

What role has the CC played in your Host journey so far?

I learned how to become a Superhost from the comments and threads on the CC.  Other Host and Guest comments are enlightening and by staying active on the CC, Hosts hopefully will take what they read, that is informative, and apply it to their own listings and experiences.

How would you recommend other Hosts to use the CC?

Since we started hosting, we have come to know a few local hosts.  One, a neighbour with whom we have become friends.  Also, in 2021, one of my guests had bought a cottage, after talking to them about Airbnb and the hosting side, they decided to pursue hosting their new cottage and have since become Superhosts.

Aside from that, I would recommend that when someone signs up as a new host, Airbnb should promote the CC, or provide new host information to the CC Administrators so that a Welcome message and explanation are sent to the new host.  It took me well over 4 months to find the CC.   

I learned a long time ago to learn from other people's experiences, so that I don't make the same mistakes. This ideal has done well for me.

What is your most and least favourite thing about being a Host?

My least favourite thing is getting less than 5 stars from a guest because he/she did not read the listing and set themselves unreasonable expectations.  We Meet & Greet all guests, and give them ample opportunity to get comfortable, ask questions and are available to help them within 30 minutes.

My second least favourite thing about being a host is having to deal with mounds of laundry and the cleaning every few days.  The worst is cleaning the bathroom, for some reason, guests just can't seem to find the ability to clean the sink before they leave.  It is 99% of the time filthy with soap and toothpaste scum. Yuck!

My favourite thing about hosting is meeting such interesting people from all over the globe.  In the last 2 years, we have met people from the U.S, France (2 sets this year), United Kingdom, Germany, Columbia, Puerto Rico. Also guests from Ukraine, Poland, Asia and Russia, mostly immigrants who are excited to learn about Canada.

We now count a number of our returning guests not as guests, but as friends.

What is your favourite thing about your listing and why?

The magical peace and serenity of the cottage and the surrounding natural world.

If you could have a famous person (past or present) stay at your listing, who would you want and why?

Barack Obama, I think that he has had a very interesting life. I would like the opportunity to sit around an open campfire with him and see where the conversation would go.  However, that will never come to pass, with only 2 bedrooms; I don't think that I could manage the security force.

What hobbies do you currently do, and what hobbies would you want to try sometime?

Our ongoing hobby has been to buy run down cottages, completely gutting them to the studs ourselves and rebuilding them.  Our current (renovated) home was gutted, melting into the ground and barely findable on the lot, surrounded by brush and trees when we purchased it.  While working fulltime, we would come up on weekends and work to complete the renovations.  We also in 2019, just before COVID, purchased a complete wreck of a third cottage. It was and still is an incredible mess, a work in progress.  We are hoping to completely finish renovations within the next two years.  After that, maybe it will become a second Airbnb.  But time will tell.

Other hobbies, I would really like to find the time to taking up photography again, I have all the equipment, just not enough time.

Current renovation project at time of purchase.Current renovation project at time of purchase.

Current renovation project in progress.Current renovation project in progress.

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live and why?

I am living the dream with my husband, in the perfect sized home, and nestled on a treed one acre lot, overlooking a river. I feed the local wildlife, birds (43 species counted so far), Red squirrels, Black squirrels, Grey squirrels, and the occasional Flying squirrel.  Aside from that we have Rabbits, Racoons, Coyotes, Chipmunks, Herons, Bald Eagles, and Osprey. I don't need much more than that.

What would you do if you were to win the lottery

My husband and I survive well enough that we are not too concerned, so in that sense, we would engage in philanthropy and volunteer work to help those less fortunate.

What’s the strangest dish you’ve ever had, that you’d definitely recommend to others?

Our local radio station raved about a restaurant in a nearby town that is known for its exotic dinner fare.  So, for a special occasion in early 2022, we decided to, finally after 3 years, head out.  My meal was Bacon-wrapped Kangaroo Medallions, served with a salad and roasted root vegetables.  I have never tasted anything so tender and delicious. Hands down the most interesting meal I have ever had.  Also on the menu was Wild Boar and Crocodile Chops, along with more regular food.

If you could choose a piece of art from any museum worldwide and own it, what would it be and why?

I wouldn't because art is in a Museum for a reason, it would be selfish to deny the public the opportunity to admire the art.

Anything else you’d like to share?

For most of my life, I have tended to be independent and a loner. By becoming a Host; the experience has really enabled me to find my voice.  As well, being a Host and dealing with some real characters has taught me a lot of patience and understanding.

I hope you all had as much fun reading the answers as I did! Please don't hesitate to say Hi and ask any questions you have. 

Thank you so much again Manina for taking the time to answer these in some cases quite silly questions. 😃

Sybe

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

16 Replies 16
Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@M199 What a fantastic read, thank you for opening up and telling us more about yourself and your hosting journey! Your comment on the challenges of hosting a full security service team got a good laugh out of me 😄

Your favourite thing about your listing and your closeness to wildlife and nature reminds me a lot of conversations I've had with @Kitty-and-Creek0 - it really makes me want to come stay with you if I get a chance to visit someday!

Are you then on your third cottage renovation currently? What would be your top tip for anyone looking to get stuck into such a project? 

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Emilie 

Thanks Emilie.

Have 2 top tips....

1 - Never believe it when your husband says the whole reno can be done in two😒

2  - Make sure you have the skills to do the work yourself, otherwise contractors, if they can be found, are extremely expensive.

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@M199 YouTube has an incredibly extensive database of videos showing you how to do a huge range of things. My bike has a hub gear and I had never worked with that before, luckily I found some videos on YouTube explaining how it works when I had to change a flat tire.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Ted307
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

@M199 

DIY renovations can take a lot longer than planned! It took us a year before our place was fit to have guests, and we were lucky to be able to hire a great handy man who did a fantastic tile job on our shower. Ted is a retired electrician, so that expensive part we could do ourselves. What a great job you've done!

Ted & Chris
M199
Level 10

@Ted307 

Thank you😊

Heading into year 3, but except for well and septic, we do it all (between guests). Still gutted to the studs inside.  But did do vinyl siding, soffits, steel roof, new windows and skylights.  No wonder it takes soo long.  But definently worth the effort.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@M199 

Great to learn a bit more about you. Well done with your renovation projects! I know what a labour of love it can be.

I really love your idea of sending out a message to new hosts to introduce them to the CC. I found it fairly early on (like you, a few months in), but it would have been so useful to know about it earlier as it's such a valuable resource.

I am really not sure I would still be hosting now if it wasn't for the help, advice and camaraderie I find here on the CC.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

@M199 , Ted's Range Road Diner, right? We were there one night pre-Covid after a few days working with a Bruce Trail maintenance crew. So fun!

Good to get to know you better! I'd love to stay sometime. It's so beautiful up your way. 

M199
Level 10

@Huma0 

Yes, a labor of love, but sometimes it's just so crazy what we try that we may be nuts to tackle such a big project.  Glad you find the CCas useful as I do.

M199
Level 10

@Lawrene0 

Yes, absolutely correct.  You're welcome here anytime.😊   We regluarly drive to Essex, and right past the street sign pointing to Florence. LOL, never fail to miss the sign.  It's a marker on a 5 hour drive.

@M199 , you are certainly welcome to break up your drive some day with a side trip to Florence. We can chat about wildlife, laundry and endless renovations over a cup of tea.  🙂

M199
Level 10

@Lawrene0 

Would love to do so!

Coffee, tea or a glass of...  

M199_1-1660873568539.png

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@M199 Nice to read about your world of hosting, reno and future dreams. Yes, good suggestion, every new host on Airbnb should know there's this amazing community called the CC - when I was struggling 4 mos in as a host with a big question I found the Community Center and it changed my world of hosting from that day forward.

Sounds like you have a life enjoyed, ever building and growing.

Happy Trails Manina!

Blessings, Clara

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

"Make sure you have the skills to do the work yourself, otherwise contractors, if they can be found, are extremely expensive."

That one caught my eye @M199 .  The most fun is to learn how to do new things. Great read lady and you are indeed a great story.

M199
Level 10

@Fred13 and everyone else....

Thank you for all your support and kind words.

Just to be clear,  I don't do plumbing, welding or electricity.  That's my husbands forte.  LOL

Still he wants me to learn those skills. No way, not happening!