Community Spotlight: May 2018

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Community Spotlight: May 2018

chess garden.jpeg

Hello everyone,

This time of the month, is one of my favourites here in the Community Center as we get to have a Q&A with one of our community members and learn a little more about them. This month, we are hearing from a person who contributes a lot here in the CC and is known for starting great discussion points: 

Rebecca.png

Florence, OR

How long have you been hosting for and why did you first start?

This invitation to be featured in the Community Spotlight is timely, as it coincides nearly to the day with the one year anniversary of my receiving my first Airbnb guest. I'll never forget first posting my listing in April, 2017, and hearing the little 'ding' on my phone just a few hours later saying that I had an Instant Booking. Suddenly it hit me that I had absolutely NO Idea what I was doing! To be honest, I had no intention of becoming an Airbnb host - It was the furthest thing from my mind. I had never even been an Airbnb guest! The reasons that I first started to host could easily fill a small book, but in short, after moving to the South-Central Oregon Coast from California, one of my horses (Blue) foundered; he is the equine love of my life, but he happens to have a very serious metabolic disorder and his health is very tenuous and he requires special care at all times. I was living in temporary housing 45 minutes from the stable where he is boarded, and I decided to buy a home in Florence so that I could care for Blue and my other horse (Winchester) more easily. I soon fell in love with a 1/3rd-acre property on Heceta Beach. Because the recently renovated home on it used to be two houses, I decided to list the 2nd home on Airbnb in hopes of making a bit of money to help cover some of Blue's medical costs, as well as some of the mortgage payment, property taxes, etc.

Tell us a little about your listing

I realize the word 'enchanting' is somewhat overused in listing descriptions, but this Cottage property I am fortunate enough to be able to own and also share with others truly is just that. It is an 'H' shaped home built on a 1/3rd-acre' after-dune' 300 feet from a spectacular stretch of Heceta Beach in Florence, Oregon. The house is not ocean-front; it is set back a bit, and also sits up above street level, which makes it very quiet and private. It's a cedar-shingle Cottage-style home surrounded by dense foliage, flowering plants, berry bushes, and shore pines, which protects it from the heavier winds that rip through the Oregon Coast. We live in the South side of the house and the guests rent the North side. The guest space is over 1500 square feet and includes a 3rd-floor ocean view loft that allows for storm and whale watching, and our side is about 800 square feet, but the additional space provided by two decks (one covered) makes it feel nice and roomy. Guests have complete and total privacy (they have their own entrances, etc), but we are there for them as needed. We therefore consider ourselves to be traditional Airbnb hosts, in that we live on the property being rented, and we are sharing our personal home. We are one of only a few traditional-style Airbnb hosts left in our beach vacation rental area; most of the Airbnb listings in my neighborhood are now managed by local and regional property management firms and there is no actual host on site; however, fortunately for us, it seems that many Airbnb travelers - longtime users especially - enjoy having a caring, responsible host on the premises; this has likely contributed to our Cottage being 100% occupied since opening (except for days I have chosen to take off), mostly by Airbnb guests.

How long have you been part of the Community Center and why did you join?

I joined the Airbnb community in February 2017, I believe. I had started house-hunting in Florence and was considering this idea of doing an Airbnb to help with expenses. I decided to do some research online about the pros and cons of hosting and came across the Airbnb Community Center forums. I had many concerns about hosting, and wrote my own post asking for feedback from experienced hosts about the realities of hosting; specifically, was it as risky as some of the posts on the CC suggested. I received so many kind, supportive, and informative replies from very experienced hosts that encouraged me to go for it. I will always be grateful to the community for this, because our Airbnb has thus far been successful beyond my wildest dreams, which in turn allowed me to do what I needed to do to save my horse Blue this past 1 1/2 years (his founder was severe, as he foundered on all four feet, and he had other complications beyond that related to his worsening metabolism). Happily, as of two months ago, it appears that Blue may make a full recovery and I may even one day be able to ride him again!

What is your favourite thing about the CC and if you could make it better what one thing would you improve?

My favorite thing about the community is that I can go there night or day to receive information, suggestions, guidance, and support from highly experienced hosts. This was the main reason I was able to build a successful Airbnb very quickly. I made Super Host 30 days after opening, and this added to my confidence. Having a community to turn to in times of need is a wonderful thing, and I consider Airbnb Customer Support to be part of the Airbnb community, so I acknowledge them also for my success as well (I did have a few issues come up early on that required me to contact Customer Support, with good results). If I could improve one thing about the CC I would create and institute a formal Grievance process. I myself have set up and managed such processes when working as a Social Services Director in hospital settings and it is very effective. If a host or guest feels that they have not been treated 'fairly' by Airbnb corporate, they could not only share about this here in the community (as they do now); they could also fill out a Grievance form that would go to a Grievance department at Airbnb Corporate and the matter could be reviewed and looked into further, and an appropriate resolution could be made (e.g., a Grievance form might be filed when a 5 star Super Host receives a 1 star review that is obviously malicious and retaliatory in nature, damaging their overall rating and possibly their Super Host status, yet they are unable to get this review removed by Customer Support or Case Management).

Are you more of a book or film kind of person? (Perhaps both)

Growing up I was a book person - I always had my nose in a book. After Graduate school I could barely bring myself to open up a phone book, that's how burned out I was on processing written information. The past 15 years I have been on a Documentary kick, so that's my preferred film genre today.

Are you an animal person? Do you have any?

Obviously, I am an animal person, given it was my horse that inspired me to open an Airbnb. I would say that my day-to-day life is built around caring for my Airbnb guests; my animals; and my coaching and therapy clients (in person and nationally via Skype). And, I also coach and counsel (human) clients with the assistance of my horses, so I have been able to integrate these fundamental aspects of my life. I have two large dogs and two horses, and I also care for the wildlife that lives on my property (bunnies, birds, squirrels, chipmunks, etc). My Airbnb guests sometimes ask to meet my dogs and/or horses, and often tell me later that meeting the horses was the highlight of their entire vacation!

If you were given $1000 to spend on your listing what would you do and why?

I'd either do one big project and install hardwood floors in the downstairs Master Suite (there is carpet in there right now, but the kitchenette and bathroom are hardwood); or, I would do several smaller projects such as put in garden beds on the guest side (they have exclusive use of the North half of the property); plant more edibles for the guests to be able to easily access; add more patio furniture, a picnic table; a hammock, etc - All things I hope to do one day to further increase our guests' enjoyment of the property as time and money allow.

What one thing could you not live without?

I would not want to live without my animals. If I go even one day without seeing my horses I just don't feel right. Their deep, profound calmness and centeredness and the stillness and peace they radiate restores and replenishes me, even after the most difficult day. My dogs are also a source of constant amusement, joy, and delight. I do not have human children so my animals mean the world to me.

What do you love to do when you are not hosting?

I am a musician (classically trained singer) and poet and have started a 'Music / Poetry' night at my house. We meet once a month, read our own works or the works of others, compose songs, jam, etc.. We always open up with a bit of Karaoke just to get the night started off right (the Disco Light feature is the BOMB!) And, of course, spending time with my horses, riding on the beach, and playing with my dogs. I also enjoy hanging out with my Airbnb guests around one of the fire-pits, sharing food, wine, and stories.

Tell us one or more things that makes you laugh/smile/happy.

Honestly, these days I smile just seeing my horse Blue standing in a manner that indicates he is not experiencing any pain in his feet. The fact that he can walk smoothly, soundly, and easily (with special shoes and pads) is cause for great joy and happiness. I guess I am a person who feels happy when other beings I care about are happy. This includes my Airbnb guests. Which is why I go the extra mile to ensure their vacation stay is all they hoped it would be.

A huge thank you to you Rebecca for taking the time to share a little more about yourself. It brought me a lot of joy to read your responses here. 

I hope you find this an interesting read, please ask any questions or share any nice comments you have, I am sure Rebecca would love to hear from you.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

54 Replies 54

Newest member of the family!Newest member of the family!

@Rebecca181 oh, how adorable!

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Love your story @Rebecca181 - and indeed, all your thoughtful and insightful postings. (What a shame your hosting story didn't get the Spotlight it deserves - I just stumbled across it by accident) Huge respect to you for fighting the good fight, always. And very best wishes to you and Blu!

@Susan17 Thank you, Susan, much appreciated. In regard to my 'Spotlight Feature' not being spotlighted or featured, well, that one leaves me scratching my head. The only reason it is in the flow of Hosting posts at all is I was perplexed as to why it was nearly the end of May but it still had not been posted - I have an incredibly busy schedule and I did take a chunk out of my day to answer all the questions - just sayin'.

After being unable to find the Spotlight in any forum threads I decided to do a search on 'Community Spotlight' the other day and found my Spotlight buried way down in the 2017 Spotlights (?). I added photos of my listing, and this is what got it into the flow of posts in the Hosting forum. It was not featured anywhere on the main home page of the CC.

When I questioned this, I was told by a mod that Spotlights are not featured unless they get three thumbs up (huh? And, how can it get 3 thumbs up if it can only be found by doing a search for it in the search bar?) Then I was told it was being featured on the Home Page where all the other ones have been featured, historically. This was not accurate either (except perhaps in Australia, per one report). Then I was reassured it WOULD be featured, just not yet (apparently, the post featuring the Japanese couple in the photo takes precedence - Odd, as from what I hear from hosts in Japan, many are not able to get their license and are having to shut their Aribnb's down). Of course, all this is happening while Lizzie is gone. Perhaps it will be featured for a day or two when she returns before the month of May ends. Again, it is not that I need the attention. It is simply very confusing to me - Why is my Spotlight being handled in this way? 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Rebecca181

I always really enjoy your contributions to the CC and value your advice so it's great to hear the story behind your Airbnb journey and to also hear that Blue is on the mend! 

Your place is so beautiful. It looks tranquil and relaxed, but with plenty of style thrown in. No wonder you are always fully booked.

Thank you, @Huma0. I count you among the hosts I have learned the most from during my short time here. Always astute, sensible, and practical, and loaded with common sense!

@Rebecca181

I really enjoyed reading about how you got into hosting and love all the pics you posted of you home, and Blue and the kitty!!!!!!!!!! I tried leaving a short post a couple days ago but couldn't tag you..... but looks like ABB fixed whatever bug there was.

If I'm ever in your corner of the world...... I know where I want to stay 🙂

@Jessica-and-Henry0 Appreciate your comment, and also appreciate that you came here twice to do so!  I am nearly dead from an overdose of kitten cuteness right now! I would love to host you, you are welcome any time, just say when!

@Rebecca181

I like your fighting spirit and am fond of your pictures! Stay forever our friend in the CC!

@Lilly28 I do hope that I will - It is a lovely community and I enjoy connecting with other hosts here immensely. Thank you for taking the time to comment!

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Rebecca181 Well call me cynical, Rebecca but I can't say I'm shocked that your wonderful piece sadly hasn't been given the same visibility and promotion that other hosts enjoyed with their Spotlights, or that you've repeatedly been given the runaround when you've tried to determine why. You talk too much sense and get too close to the truth to be allowed free reign, lady!! 🙂

@Susan17, Well, we are slowly moving in the right direction. It IS being featured now, after a bumpy take-off. Not sure why it was not included in the update that went out recently, as has been done for all other Spotlights, but perhaps @Lizzie will amend this now that she is back. If not, c'est la vie!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

It is a lovely spotlight @Rebecca181, thank you again for taking the time to share more about yourself. Blue is a real beauty, I love the photo you have included, I remember seeing it also in the Meet the pets thread too and still think he has a lot of character in this photo. 

I am sorry to see there has been a little confusion over the use of photo in my original post here, for all the Community Spotlights we have had in the CC, I always use a more generic image of seating, to display more of an in conversation situation. Without a certain size image, I am unable to feature a thread on the homepage, so this is one of the reasons why I include this. I agree, it has cropped up a couple of times in our spotlight conversations now, so I am going to go back to the drawing board with the images I think–but ideally, it would be lovely to have a photo of the community member's listing. 🙂 

It is also wonderful to hear you are a singer, we are starting to get quite a musical bunch here in the CC, if only we could come together. Do you have any particular composer's works you like to sing? 

Thank you again Rebecca and I look forward to hearing more. 

Lizzie

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie Yey, you are back! I hope you had a splendid vacation and it was everything you hoped it would be.

Yes, the photo issue is a bit confusing. If this cannot be amended for future Spotlighted hosts, perhaps just let them know the photo they see will not be of their Airbnb, and then they will know to just go ahead and add their own. 

Regarding my favorite composer(s): As a soloist and when performing professionally with symphonies, I most enjoy singing Verdi and Mozart (I am a high soprano coloratura). I imagine this applies to choral work as well (I love a good requiem, myself). We high sopranos have a 'joke' that Mozart must have had some sort of ill-fated love affair with a high soprano / coloratura, which is why he wrote such excruciatingly difficult Arias. It was his form of revenge. And, honestly, having sung these myself, I have to believe it! I also enjoy singing German Lieder very much. Thank you for asking, Lizzie!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Rebecca181, I certainly will. 🙂 

Yes, the trip was really nice thank you, I just love being outdoors and near water, so I'm quite easily pleased really. hehe 

Wow, it is wonderful to hear about your singing. Yes, I can imagine Mozart doing that, hehe. I always find that Beethoven wasn't always kind to voices, singing some of his choral music makes you need a lie down afterwards. OOo I'm so glad you like classical music... 🙂

--------------------