Community Spotlight: Suzanne302

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Community Spotlight: Suzanne302

Community Spotlight image.png

Hi everyone, 

We know many of you enjoy getting to know others here in the CC and I’m very pleased to say the Community Spotlight series is back. 

Many of you know that the Community Center is actually made up of eight different languages. From time to time, we Community Managers get our translation hats on and share some of the great topics created by you across these languages. After all, we are just one community at heart. 

This is why, going forward, we thought we would expand the Community Spotlights to all the languages, so that we can hear from active community members from all across the CC, all over the world and really show that language is no barrier. We hope you like the sound of this and we would love to hear your thoughts and ideas to build this further. 

Getting back to the most important thing of today, our first Community Spotlight of 2020.

This month, we are speaking to … 

Suzanne.png

@Suzanne302 

Wilmington, NC, USA

Community Spotlight - Suzanne.png

How long have you been hosting for and why did you first start?

I’ve been hosting since May of 2018. After an amazing long-term roommate moved out I knew I’d never be that lucky twice in a row so I didn’t want another roommate. Airbnb was an attractive choice because I could try renting out my room, and if it turns out I didn’t like it, I could always just remove my listing. No pressure!

Tell us a little about your listing

My home is located in a popular coastal area in North Carolina. I live in the home and rent one of my spare bedrooms. It’s not a big or fancy house, but I do take great pride in making sure the guest room and bathroom are cute, comfortable, cozy, and clean! It’s a great set up because my bedroom and the guest bedroom/bath are separated by the living room and kitchen, allowing the guests to feel like they have their own private little suite.

How long have you been part of the Community Center and why did you join?

I became a part of the Community Center as soon as I made my listing live. You can read all the FAQ’s and tutorials and help articles you want, but nothing will give you an idea of what hosting really means like the collective experience of seasoned hosts. I sought it out first as a great place to get feedback and answers about personal experiences. What I love about it now, though, is that just as the name implies, it is truly a community. 

What is your favourite thing about the CC and if you could make it better what one thing would you improve?

I’ve never met any of the hosts here, but I feel like I know many of them and there’s a wonderful sense of camaraderie. 

When you are not hosting, what do you like doing?

In my spare time you’ll usually find me seeking out social opportunities with my dog! I love to explore hiking trails and visiting dog-friendly breweries is a great way to spend an afternoon.

What is the one thing you cannot live without?

Coffee. Wine. And, my dog, of course! Not necessarily in that order. Yeah, I know that’s three things.

Where would your dream holiday be?

I love to travel so that’s a hard question! My dream holiday would be somewhere between doing nothing on a sandy beach and exploring the rich history of someplace in Europe.

If you could have lunch with a famous person (past or present), who would it be and why?

Betty White! One, I love her. Two, she is an animal lover and an amazing role model for women. And who else do you know that is not only still witty in her 90’s, but also worked well into her 90’s?

What's your food weakness?

Crab legs. Take me to an “all you can eat” crab leg night? It’s not pretty.

Do you have a fun fact?

When I was 5 I won runner-up in a “Little Miss” pageant even though when asked what my favorite things were I answered, “Matchbox Cars and The Dukes of Hazzard.” Not exactly pageant material!

Anything to add

I am so grateful for the Community Center as I continue my hosting journey. I’ve learned so much from this community and members have been so welcoming and helpful. I really feel like the Community Center has helped me to become a better host and if I can give back even half of what I’ve gained here, I feel like I will have accomplished something.

Thank you so much Suzanne for sharing your story and insights.

Please do feel free to ask any questions or share any nice comments,  I am sure she would love to hear from you. 

Thanks, 

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

15 Replies 15
Mary116
Level 3
Austin, TX

Neat. Thanks for sharing.