Community "Support" - Overriding Refund Policy

Danielle476
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

Community "Support" - Overriding Refund Policy

Today I was contacted by a Community Support representative regarding a reservation for August that was made after March 14th, and cancelled June 2nd.  As you all likely know, this means that the reservation is not eligible for a full refund under the extenuating circumstances policy.  (My cancellation policy is strict.)

Apparently this means nothing to Community Support, who informed me that they can ''also decide on your (my) behalf".  If that's the case, then why even bother reaching out to me to ask what my preference is?  I've had dozens and dozens of cancellations, all of which were fully refunded without any input from me (and I'm okay with that!  I understand the difficult times we're going through and I'm fine with eligible guests getting refunds).  Suddenly I have a reservation that isn't eligible, so I'm being asked about it...only to be told my answer won't matter.

I feel this rep was being deliberately obtuse by answering my question of "To confirm, her refund has not been issued from me, correct?" with "Yes, you have not been paid yet!"...that sounds to me like she plans on refunding the guest, but doesn't want to say as much.  She never responded to my further messages asking for clarification.  In any case, this was a frustrating exchange to have.  If AirBNB is going to make off-the-cuff decisions that don't align with their current policies, they shouldn't be reaching out to hosts and deceiving them with the illusion of having a final say.  Don't spit in my face and tell me it's raining.

**Personal information hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines 

10 Replies 10
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Danielle476 frustrating, but IMO Airbnb CS reps generally achieve high levels of obtuseness without even trying.

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Danielle476  How interesting that we are not considered to be employees of Airbnb, and yet, they can decide to override our chosen cancellation policy on our behalf. This certainly would not happen on other sites I have used to rent my place short-term. Only Airbnb behaves like some kind of 'Benevolent Dictator' in this regard. And the benevolence is invariably extended to the guest, and not the host, even if that means they are violating their own policies and our rights as hosts. 

Here's how I see it: If Extenuating Circumstances criteria were not met, a refund  to the guest is not due. If Airbnb gives the refund, it should be out of their own pocket, not yours. I hope you fight this if they decide in the guest's favor. 

That’s exactly what I said to them - any refund given should be out of their pockets, not mine. She still hasn’t responded so I’m not sure what to think; have they decided and just not told me, or are they still looking into it?  How long does it really take to decide?  Unreal. 

The irony is that I’ve had a claim I escalated to AirBNB 3+ weeks ago for smoking damage left behind & a late check-out by one guest. Haven’t heard a whisper from them about that. But over-riding my policy for a reservation that isn’t refund-eligible?  HIGH PRIORITY.  It would be funny if it wasn’t so frustrating. 

@Danielle476 It's situations like yours that make me wonder if Airbnb Corporate (Mr. Chesky included) ever creep themselves out when reading hosts' justified concerns and grievances on this forum. 

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

Just reading through your screenshots @Danielle476 , was this refund request issued as some sort of  "Payment Request" or "Resolving a dispute" or "Cancellation request" from the guest? Normally, they would just go to the 'Cancel' route and click a few buttons. Perhaps the post 14th March contract is forcing them this way somehow? An 'open resolution centre' suggests something out of the ordinary happening -  and that, as if the correspondence isn't weird enough already?

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

The correspondence reads like a robot wrote it, doesn't read real, if that makes sense. At best, cut and paste. 

@Danielle476 

Way before covid-19, I received a message from Airbnb CS that was more or less identical to your communication. Several years ago I had a potential guest book a 1 month-long stay making it fall under the long-term cancellation policy (normally it's strict). Then about 10 days after booking and 3 weeks before check in the guest contacted me saying she wants to stay with friends (instead of at my single occupancy guest room) and wants to cancel so she can book a larger entire home listing and kept insisting she should get (=deserves) a full refund EXCEPT fees and was angry+upset at me because her refund amount was "0". I was so frustrated at her attitude that I told her rules are rules, read them, and to take it up with Airbnb support if she had issues, and that guests don't need host approval or agreement to cancel or get a refund. Airbnb support later contacted me to pressure and *trick* me into a refund which I flatly refused - told them if Airbnb feels the guest deserves a refund, you can refund her with your own money or apply the Extenuating Circumstance but as a host I absolutely do not agree or have any intention to agreeing to a refund beyond what the cancellation policy dictates and that I deserve to receive my payout per the cancellation policy agreed on at the time of booking. If Airbnb wants to override the cancellation policy and go against host opinion to issue a refund that the guest honestly does NOT deserve, Airbnb can, but absolutely NOT at my expense. 

On a different note, If the guest was nice about it and I got another booking for her dates I probably would have refunded her 50%, per the normal strict policy (maybe a little more, but definitely not 100% because technically it was simply a selfish change of heart cancellation that should not be rewarded) but both the guest and Airbnb were so irritating I felt like I absolutely deserved to keep every cent of the payout I received. 

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Jessica-and-Henry0 

Airbnb support later contacted me to pressure and *trick* me into a refund which I flatly refused

This seems very much the case with @Danielle476 . I have first hand experience of that too. You need to be knowledgeable in 'Airbnb ways' in order exist on their platform. No other platform imposes this sort of control as no other platform attempts to control deposits and payments so much or attempt to impose such ridiculous, against contract benefits.

Shabra0
Level 2
Snellville, GA

I feel your frustrations. I had a guest request to move there reservation to a later date, which I did.  They called again and asked me to move the reservation again to the end of the year because her daughter is having surgery.  No problem I can move the reservation  and I asked for the dates.  The guest never ask to cancel so I assume everything was fine.  Airbnb calls me to let me know they cancelled the reservation because the guest provide information on the daughter's surgery.   If Airbnb is going to cancel my booking why call me or set policies.  

Nadine554
Level 2
Bangalow, Australia

I had a cancellation by a guest and then I got another booking for that same period. In good faith, I called airrbnb support to ask them if they have a formula they use for determining a refund. I wanted to provide a partial refund to the guest, but also wanted to be paid for the administration costs.  Airbnb support told that I was not entitled to the payout (which I had already received) and that Airbnb support would be cancelling the booking and providing a full refund to the guest. My cancellation policy is “strict” and the guest was not eligible for extenuating circumstances.

This occurred 2 weeks ago and is still being investigated. If Airbnb support wish to deviate from my policy and their own then I feel they should foot the bill, not me!