Complaining Guests, no satisfaction

Alamira0
Level 2
Manila, Philippines

Complaining Guests, no satisfaction

Hi, I was hoping to get some advice.

I have a party of four staying at my place. The first night they arrived, they complained that the bedsheets were used and that the garbage bin was full, and that the batteries on the remote were dead.

I’m on travel at the moment but my assistant took care of it as usual. All my previous guests have praised her for how she keeps my unit clean. I knew this was impossible. I assured my guest that the sheets were freshly laundered but they but they may be a little wrinkled because it’s costly to have them ironed as well. As I can’t predict when remote batteries die, I told her she could buy batteries from the convenience store downstairs from the unit and I would happily reimburse her for the cost.

She also wanted more towels and an extra key, so I had them sent over the next day, and asked my assistant to clean a little, as well as a box of cupcakes by way of apology just to appease her.

The next day, she sent me more messages about my AC leaking and how miserable they all were in my unit. No thanks or acknowledgement for the cupcakes I sent over.I apologized over and over. I tried to have an AC technician have it repaired that same day, but he was refused entry by building management because they don’t allow any repairs/renovations on a Sunday.

So I said he would come back on Monday, and I refunded her one night’s stay for the inconvenience of the leaking AC. I also sent them extra bedsheets.

Today, she complained that she was having guests over in the unit and that she was so embarrassed about how dirty and messy the unit is. She also said the previous refund I gave her wasn’t enough. I about lost it by this time. I asked her why would she insist on entertaining her guests in the unit if she knows we have AC repairs scheduled for today? (It’s a one bedroom condo unit, so it really is small.) I told her I would give her until 2pm to find another unit, cancel her reservation and I would even refund her one more night but now she refuses to leave. I’m apprehensive she’ll ruin my superhost rating by leaving a really bad review.

5 Replies 5
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Alamira0 

What a classic case of give a finger, take a hand! You have gone above and beyond for her. Your assistant has already re-cleaned the place so if it is dirty today, it is her own dirt. The leaking air conditioner- does it still work? If it does the job, I do not see how it should bother her. Plus the technician has not even been there to verify the damage. You cannot worry about the review at this point. She will not be happy to matter what. You will get many great reviews after she leaves and forget this person ever existed. Just write factual and composed reply (do not mention any refunds). As for a plan going forward, I do not see how she deserves another penny, even if she finds another place. Just tell her that even though it is your goal to make all guests happy, you realize some just won’t be. You wish her best in her travels and only reply going forward factually to anything specific that needs your attention. Advise for the future: do not give any refunds until stay is over. You set a precedent and you do not know what may happy on the guests end where you want to keep the money (for example they break something). You can give them a general promise of “taking care of them” but evaluate once they leave. Stay strong!

@Alamira0  What a terrible guest! 

I agree 100% with @Inna22 on waiting until the stay is over and the house is inspected before offering refunds. One thing I would add is that if a guest requests any kind of refund before their stay is completed, make it a condition that they first cancel the remainder of their reservation and vacate the property. 

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

@Alamira0 

As you know you can not cancel. At this point if you want her out your going to have to contact Abnb. How much longer is her reservation for?

Do not give her anything more. You have already gone above and beyond and she's just pushing to see what more she can get.  Horrible person!

Stand firm! As the others have mentioned, she has already decided to give you a poor review, it really won't matter what more you do for her at this point.

Keep your responses factual and short. Addressing only the issues she mentions.

I'm sorry you are having to deal with this while away, I'm sure that adds even more to your stress. Hopefully she'll leave soon and the next guests will be wonderful!

Idamis0
Level 1
Philadelphia, PA

I had the same issue all my reviews are excellent . I just had a guest say my unit was dirty and she saw ants . I was not there but I had someone clean and wash all linens before her arrival. Next day I sent a cleaning crew and a fumigator .I had upgrade it her to a larger unit with a large balcony where they can see Disney fireworks every night. Gave her a king size bed instead of the queen she was supposed to get I even got the front desk to waive the $30 resort fee but none of these things mattered to her .  I love what I do so its exciting for me when I can get my guess more for their money. My units are beautiful .When it was time to check out I sent her instructions she replied 2 hours later saying she checked out but claiming that she wanted the cleaning fee back. I did not respond at this point I knew where she was going with this I refuse to give her money . She gave me an awful review. She added lies that I promise to move her to another unit which was impossible . When you are a good person you don't understand how people can be so mean honestly it hurts my feelings . I also don't understand how Airbnb allows theses reviews with out getting to the truth . They should protect us we are making them money.     

Sean433
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

@Alamira0 @Anonymous 

A review is subject to removal if the guest mentions that they will write a poor review unless a refund is given. This is extortion and one way you can ask airbnb to remove it. If she hasn't explicitly said it but you get the sense this is what she is trying to do- to persuade you to giving her a full refund in exchange for her not leaving a review, the trick is to get her to openly say it so that you can get airbnb to remove it afterwards. This can be done easily if you ask her the right way. Has worked many a times but do leave her a honest review so other hosts don't have to deal with such a guest.