Complaining guest from the start

Athena45
Level 2
Cheshunt, United Kingdom

Complaining guest from the start

Hi everyone 

first time posting as only been doing Airbnb for a few months and have had my first difficult guest.

she moved in today and within half an hour has bombarded me with things that are wrong with her room. 
it’s dirty (it’s not, I cleaned it an hour before she arrived) the clothes rail is broken, the bed is wobbly, there is a gap under the door! 
I have offered her solutions, asking a relative who lives nearby to go and clean her room again when he finishes work and to fix what he can but she is still complaining. Shall I just ask her politely to leave and refund her?

its obvious she’s not happy and there is only so much I can do. 
many advice greatly appreciated x

5 Replies 5
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Athena45 

"but she is still complaining"

About what ?

Offer her to shorten the reservation, so she can book another accommodation

You probably got one of those guests who are never pleased, whatever you do.

Best regards,

Emiel

Athena45
Level 2
Cheshunt, United Kingdom

I’ve advised her that it may be best for her to find somewhere else and I’ll just refund her, as you say, seems she will never be happy. Thanks so much for responding xx

@Athena45 Be careful with this one. If she comes back to you and says 'no, no it's fine I"ll just stay', insist that she leave. She 'may' be fishing for a way to stay for free. Some guests have been known to stay despite their complaints and then go back to Airbnb post stay and (successfully) obtain a refund, listing off the problems they supposedly had. No free stays at your place!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Athena45  Yes, I agree it's best to get rid of a guest (I use that term loosely, as people like this really have no concept of what being a "guest" in someone's home means) like this ASAP. No good whatsoever will come of letting her stay, and a lot more bad is guaranteed.

That said, if the clothes rail really is  broken, or the bed really is  wobbly, you should get those things looked after. But offering complaining guests remedies, if you know their complaints are bogus, is pretty pointless, because guests like this are never satisfied, and running around trying to make them happy is an exercise in futility, nor will it ward off a bad review.

She is looking for refund and to stay for free.Send her away! I had few of them over the years.