Complaint

Christine977
Level 1
Banora Point, Australia

Complaint

I am new to bnb and loving it my first 5 guests left glowing reports of cleanliness and friendliness . My last guest wrote a loverly report about me. But mentioned that the room was dusty and needed a vacuum . I always vacuum dust and restock everything after a guest has left. This has left me very disheartened . I feel the room is very clean I have taken blinds down cleaned them had carpet shampoed, thank you to all the other guests who have left loverly reports. 

Christin

7 Replies 7
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Christine977 You will encounter that every so often an otherwise ok guest will yes leave a solid review, but say something that doesn't quite 'fit', always publicly not privately. I could almost 100% fore-tell which will do this,  usually is a guest that is passive-aggressive and/or egotistical by nature. To me is the height of ignorance.

Christine977
Level 1
Banora Point, Australia

thankyou ,makes  me feel better, 

Bruna-and-Siana0
Level 10
Santa Clara, CA

It seems you are putting a lot of effort and majority of guests wrote nice reviews. Even if everything is perfect, you'll eventually get a guest that complain about something. You'll see some guest will never give 5* whatever you do. As a host you just have to accept it. Continue providing a good experience to your guests and collect more 5* reviews so your rating improves (and the review gets pushed down). 

One suggestion: some guest might give 5* overall but 4* on an individual rating (communication, cleaninless, location, accuracy, etc). Feedback on individual ratings is only visible to you. You have a review that seems very positive. However, your reply makes obvious that there was an issue with cleaning. That wouldn't be noticed if you haven't said anything.  Use the public replies to thank guest and only address issues/concerns if they written them in the public review. You can always send a private message to guests to ask for feedback or appology if something was wrong. 

Oooh good catch @Bruna-and-Siana0. Aye @Christine977, never bring private discussion to the public area; we all done it, at the very beginning.

This happens occasionally. I'll have many reviews that call my place squeaky clean and then someone will say that my baseboards were dusty. One guest rated me a three and complained she found many lightbulbs out (there was only one we could find afterwards) and my house needed a deep clean (even though it's thoroughly cleaned between guests), including wiping down surfaces and baseboards.

You won't please everyone. Don't let it sour you on the experience. Hotels face the same things - guests who are appreciative and guests who can never be pleased. You are doing just fine!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Christine615 

Christine, you can't please them all and even doing your best is still going to result in a smack in the face sometimes.

I have mentioned it before but for those who might not have seen it, one guest gave me a 3 star for 'cleanliness'! Her comment was...'rug looked old and shabby'!

Cleanliness A.png

That rug that looked old and shabby to her was a genuine certified Turkish triple knotted silk rug which was probably worth more than the vehicle they arrived here in.

I fixed that problem in a flash. I went down to Ikea and grabbed a cheap bit of synthetic nonsense about the same size and, the problem has been solved, nobody has complained since.

You try to give guests the best experience you can, but Christine,  they don't appreciate it.

If you gave them a fillet steak, they would criticize it because it wasn't a McDonalds 'Big Mac'!

Cheers.........Rob

You are so right @Robin4I once got downgraded because my freezer needed cleaning. 

The only thing in it were ice trays. And it’s white so easy to see there was no dirt or stains. I was livid but didn’t respond.

Most of my guests are wonderful but there’s a few that are 12 eggs short of a dozen.

😢