Complimentary Wine Concept Feedback Please

Connor84
Level 2
Bellevue, WA

Complimentary Wine Concept Feedback Please

For all those that hosts that provide complimentary wine - looking for directional feedback on a concept that I've been tinkering with. Basically I've seen several “product placement” startups emerge around the short term rental space (e.g. Glimpse, Spree, etc.) but nothing strategically focused on the wine industry.  Obviously there is some legal red tape to contend with but I really do think there is a niche to be filled that sits between a simple complimentary bottle of wine and a full-blown AirBnB wine tasting experience.

At high level, the idea is to pair local wines with AirBnB stays. The service would provide distribution & attribution infrastructure that would expose guests to local wines and serve as a lead gen tool for wineries/wine experiences.  In practice:

- Guests would opt in to the wine experience

- Wine would be delivered "just in time" per booking calendar

- Wine would include marketing materials to expose guests to local wineries (for follow on experiences & purchases)

- Hosts would receive a commission for any downstream wine purchases by guest

Looking to perform some validation in the WA region BUT first looking for general feedback, thoughts, & opinions on whether this idea would even hunt (i.e. is it something you'd entertain as a host?)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/comments/feedback!

17 Replies 17

@Connor84  anytime! Happy to be a sounding board. Provided, of course, that I am paid in wine....

Russell49
Level 10
Katoomba, Australia

AirBnB can be complicated enough with some of the new guests on it's platform. Adding alcohol to the mix may sound classy, but could end up messy.

Edward225
Level 2
San Mateo, CA

Have a little experience with this since I work for Showplace (www.showplacehq.com).

Showplace helped a brand place some alcohol and instead of putting actual bottles in the listing, they placed a rebate coupon in the listing instead. That allowed the brand to get recognized without having to place any physical product in the home. If your wineries products are available online, you could place a coupon code on a postcard.