Compromise with Strict/Moderate Cancellation: A TRAVEL CREDIT FOR GUESTS

Zappa0
Level 10
Key West, FL

Compromise with Strict/Moderate Cancellation: A TRAVEL CREDIT FOR GUESTS

We've all been there...a guest has some sort of issue and we graciously over ride our strict policy or moderate policy as the promise they will book with us in the future. They never do. We lose income.

The Solution: A TRAVEL CREDIT that we can issue to guests to use on OUR listing (s) at a future date. Guest is happy, host is happy, airbnb doesn't lose out.

Of course, we can do this ourselves right now by offering to apply that amount to a future booking - but here's the problem. Now you have to dig through old emails to find out how much their previous booking was for, and the guest gets confused as to what the credit is.

Example: Current guest freaking out because there is forecasted rain storms and they are staying on a boat. There are always forecasted rain storms from may-november. It rains for 10 minutes and moves along..it's an island. I tried telling her this, but she is nervous....three days out. I offered her a 25% refund and cleaning fee refund...She declined and said she would stay. The day of she tells me she doesn't want to stay because of the weather forecast asking for a travel credit to apply to a future date. I tell her I will apply the amount she paid as a travel credit when she rebooks if she cancels by a a certain time (allowing me to attempt to rebook the dates). She doesn't cancel until 11pm. 

She is now requesting a full refund as her "travel credit." So here we go again...

It would be so much easier if I can just click "issue host travel credit" the same way we do for a refund with a one-year expiry date (or something similar).

5 Replies 5

@Zappa0

you may want to provide a link to this and a brief suggestion comment here

https://www.airbnb.com/help/feedback

as these feedbacks get directed to the necessary department ..(doesnt mean they will do anything mind you !!) 

Thanks @Mike0.. Will do!

The easy answer is no. She didn't follow the rules, she is entitled to no refund at all. 

Think about it a minute. Do you REALLY want this person as a guest in the future? Sometimes we override our instinct and make all kinds of concessions.

You were kind about the refund when you didn't have to be. She then made things more difficult. No hotel would accomodate her this way. You shouldn't either. 

There's bending over backward for a guest (I offered a travel credit for a guest who didn't check in - turns out there was an illness in the family and they couldn't travel. Also he didn't ask for a refund, I offered after the fact because he was so nice to communicate with.). Then there's turning into a doormat for a guest which increasing requests and needs after I make a concession. In the latter case, I've learned the hardest, yet best, word to use is "NO!"

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Zappa0 One of the toughest, but shortest words in the English language - NO. (I see @Christine615 is also a great fan of it).

@Christine0@fred I've used it plenty of times. Had a guy trying to blackmail me for a refund now...he is getting nothing. 

But there are instances where a travel credit would be useful.