Concerned about negative reprisal review

Eric433
Level 1
Rosarito, Mexico

Concerned about negative reprisal review

We just got through hosting a group failed to check out timely, then the local manager had to return two additional times to finally get them checked out because the entire party was too drunk to make it out of bed. They eventually departed around 6pm for a scheduled 11am departure. I feel this is information that other hosts should know about, but I'm concerned that if I leave this negative review the guest will leave a negative review of the property in reprisal. We've not been made aware of any issues or complaints from the guest but I'm concerned that they will be angry with the negative review and make up something negative about their experience. Being new to this and having relatively few reviews so far, a negative review could reallly impact our listing.

How can we post honest reviews without fear of reprisal from a guest?

Eric

2 Replies 2
Jeanne7
Level 8
Nice, France

Your guest won't be able to see your review unless he has left one. Each other's review is hidden until every one has reviewed or until the delay of 14 days has passed. That's why you can review honestly without being afraid of a vendetta. 

Amitiés from France 

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

So what you don't know, @Eric433, is that it is a double-blind review process. If you post a review, the guest cannot read it until he posts his review - but that lasts only 14 days. After 14 days the whole world, including your guest, can read it. But after 14 days, he cannot post anything. 

And vice versa. If he posts, you cannot read it until you review or 14 days go by. After the 14 days, if you have not reviewed, you see the review, but there is nothing you can post.

It makes revenge reviews, based on a review alone, impossible. 

Of course, they might know you will say something about their tardy departure and lash out proactively. You cannot prevent that. What you can do is reply to their review - but be really careful about that. In most cases, just say nothing and a bad review will get buried. But if something is said in the review that needs to be addressed, write it briefly and unemotionally. Keep to the facts. The worst thing is to rant on in a reply to a review that looks okay but is low on stars (no one can tell but you), or to a review that is indeed untruthful, but needs only a few words to correct it. 

Hope this helps. Hope you get a good review 🙂