Condo Board Sent me a notice to stop hosting

Answered!

Condo Board Sent me a notice to stop hosting

I have to cancel my reservations starting in a week after recieving a notice from my condo board.  What is the best way to do this?  Does this count as an extenuating circumstance?

A real bummer, I was having a great time hosting and meeting people.

Thank you

1 Best Answer

@Alexander, you could try to talk airbnb into considering the cancellations as caused by the same event and error and that they should apply only one penalty to all of them, not one to every single one. You have understandable cause for your error and it would encourage you to continue hosting with the same account and on airbnb.
Call them and keep trying. Try to get a case manager or get higher up and plead your good will. That you tried to minimise damage to guests and airbnb image should help, insist on that.
When the airbnb founders started to lodge students on an airbed in their living room, they did not have permission to do that either. Their "illegal" idea is worth billions today.

Unfortunately, this forum is getting more hostile by the day. And I could not even say if the unsolicited attacks are worse or the unmotivated All-is-well-be-happy nonsense the same people post on other triggers. It's just pavlovian reflexes is action.
I'm very sorry that you got that straight off when asking for help.
Good luck for your negotiations!

View Best Answer in original post

84 Replies 84

well the Good news @Helga0 is, I am raising our 12 year old daughter to be a responsbile educated individual who should always check the laws, rules and get sound advice on anything she might consider doing or getting invovled with.   (what she does at school, dance studio, karate, animal shelter volunteer job, etc,  which is probably why she was recognized for being the most respected, disciplined, Straight A student at her school 4 years in a row.  (Only one student per grade receives this annual award, "Principal Award". Yes I am a proud mommy.

here's a great example of this...this past weekend, she wanted to bring her big floaty raft to a hotel pool that we were going to be hanging out at with our Airbnb guests who checked into a hotel after staying with us for 6 days and invited us to join them. We were looking foward to it because we liked them alot.   She asked me if she could bring her new pool toy which I replied that I wasn't sure. She googled the hotel number, called them and asked the manager if she was allowed to bring her pool toy with her.  She received an approval which provided hours of fun for her and the other kids who were there.  As a good parent, its my job to make sure she understands that just because a friend told her it was ok, doesn't make it so.  Right @Robin4 ?  

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Desr folks, I dropped into this thread by chance and it contained three posts:
Alexander looking for advice and clearly distraught- most people do not rent their own living space for fun or to have company and facing a huge fine is a shock if you are not rich.

Then followed two posts telling him how it was his fault, how he should have avoided that situation and how good humans others are.

Sorry to say, I hate seeing if a man down is kicked for good measure and reading how good people think they are is rather boring. Shame on you for indulging in such self elevation and denigrating of other's without even knowing the background.

This is an international forum and it's improbable that all your moral values and choices will apply. People looking for help usually ask " What can I do now?" They do not ask "What should I have done?" Nor "What choice do you think is the best moral choice?"
Just answer with ideas for the future. After having been hit on the head by the consequences of the past choice, they know already what they should have chosen if they were omniscient.
The moralising is just disgusting, if I wanted that, I'd join a church.

100 Thumbs UP for you @Helga0

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Helga0.....Ok.I give up, I will go and look after my little corner of the 'Cabbage patch'. I had this misguided notion that we were here to offer advice, be it good or bad for others to learn from, but obviously I am wrong!!!!....we are here to hand out sugar coated pills!!!!

God almighty, what is the point of having a forum site....lets all just pat each other on the back.....deary me.....

@Robin4, offer advice, that will be appreciated. Reproaches are not advice. Selfprise is not advice. 
No need to add sugar nor vinegar. Just take the situation in, analyse future possibilities and indicate what is helpful. You can trust that Alexandre had already imagined the horror scenarios. 

I really don't understand you. If you want to speak about your happy life, create your own threads. I remember your opossum story and that was really funny reading. 

Then there are always threads where people tell a more harmless experience and others chirp in with similar experiences and everyone has a nice chat. 

But someone facing a 1000 bucks in fines and the end of a business opportunity does not need stories about how you prepared everything meticulously to comply with every potential regulation in your part of the world.  
- Or the other story, not yours, of an inflatable raft in a hotel pool. What was that? Kafka under laughing gas?

You are always advising to treat guests very kindly, often to the point of self-sacrifice. I’m pleading to treat your fellow hosts kindly too. 

@Maryam-Al-Fakheer0, thank you !

@Helga0, You are spot on again. I have not found my way to the orgional condo thread because it is difficult to navigate this page as things are in horrid order. It is strange in America that the Condo and Home Owners Regulations over ride civil law. Why? It is called a wavier of Civil Rights, when you sign up and pay the board you trade a right for a license. A right cannot be taken away, but can be signed away and one can be dumb enough to pay for it, go figure, us FREEDOM loving Americans, sign away our freedoms, FREELY, but not free, every single day. It is sad really. I live in a city where there is NO HOA and NO Board. I have a fee simple estate. I can challange civil law, sure I probably won't win, but if my research is good and I don't hire an attorney, I might not lose to bad. John Locke would be spinning in a grave if such a thing were possible. What is funny is the rich people are the ones who can afford to pay to have their rights taken away, under the guise of, it is your neighbors rights that MAY be taken away if he does not obey any of the initial rules , or any following rules made up by a board of OCD nut jobs.  I am not an attorney and this not legal advice.

I always enjoy hearing your responses Helga, as you have a measured tone and speak from great life experience. And you have no sense of self-aggrandizement, unlike some of the other hosts who seem to get a real boost to their fragile egos by their constant pedantic and boring responses.

@Deanna0, so nice to see you again. We have to uphold our honor here, that we try to help before judging !

From an European point of view those Condo regulations seem very strange. We have regulations too between co-owners in residencies, but they are good will agreements not higher than civil law and religious commendments combined. 

Wow! Here's some soothing music. Hope it calms everyone down a bit 🙂

Also, at this point, I think it'd be nice if all of us take a quick CC Guidelines refresher 😄

Here are some relevant to this thread.

1) Respect each other: New members and regular contributors, whether they’re Hosts, Guests, or Airbnb staff, all have the right to post their own views and ask questions, regardless of their level of knowledge. Different experiences and backgrounds are a huge strength of our online community! Let’s respect this and each other.

2) Say thank you: Many community members help others out and post amazing and useful content for everybody to see. Remember to say thank you by replying to their posts and clicking the Thumbs Up button below each helpful post. Liking a post can also mean that you agree with the point in the message, or that you have found it funny or useful. However, don’t manipulate the Thumbs Up function by actively trying to get others to give Thumbs Up to your own posts.

3) Stay on topic and avoid pointless posts: Avoid posting off topic replies that don’t offer value or contribute to the discussion. If you want to discuss something unrelated, start a new thread. Community Team staff may move replies/threads somewhere more appropriate if they start to head off topic. If you want to discuss something that doesn’t fit in any other category, or is not related to Airbnb, post it in our off-topic boards: The Living Room (Hosts) or The Cafe (Guests).

4) Encourage Best Answers: Ask or encourage members to accept one of the replies they received to a question as the accepted solution.

5) Don't threaten, personally attack others, or post hate speech: Safety is Airbnb’s first priority. Don’t threaten anyone - we will delete your content and we reserve the right to escalate to law enforcement. While it’s ok for you to speak broadly on people, companies, and issues in the public eye, we will act on any abusive behavior directed at private individuals when it comes to our attention. Similarly, you may challenge institutions, events, beliefs, ideas, and practices, but we strictly forbid attacks on people based on race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, medical condition, or other protected characteristics.

Happy hosting and keep helping 🙂

Jeet

@Jeet0, what is this for? Please explain how any of the posts was in infraction of any of these guidelines.

I hate soothing music, but that's maybe a personal characteristic. 

Hello @Helga0,

Yup, it's a personal characteristic and that's fine, we all are diverse people and that's what makes this community so amazing 🙂

Unfortunately, if you fail to identify posts that violate the guidelines, you might be failing to understand the guidelines itself. I cannot think of any way to explain further.

Maybe someone else from the community can take a shot at helping you out.

Also, just to clarify, the Guidelines Refresher post is for everyone and not targetted specifically at you in case you thought that way 🙂

Jeet

@Jeet0, I was one of the launchpad hosts and my level 10 comes from a lot of hard work in testing the community center and giving feedback on its functions. I have no problem understanding guidelines per se, I fail to see why you feel the need to post your soothing music post like an ultimate crush on a discussion under adults which was not especially turbulent. 

In the original specifications of the setup of the community center it was the aim that this forum should do all that the old forums did but better. 

In the old forums, we helped and still help each other, motivate each other and laugh together. In this thread, at the beginning there was no intention of help nor motivation and no laughter. 

I don't see how soothing everyone or giving moralising feedback could help anyone and it makes me wish to cry. My motivation in life is finding solutions to tricky questions, help people and laugh. 

If you need harmony and soothing so much that it becomes an aim in itself, that's fine for you, but please let other people have differing opinions and let them express them.

If however you wish to insinuate that my mental capacities are not up to understand your level of reasoning, rest assured that that is not the case 😉 If you wish to insult me, be welcome to try but try harder to make it stick.

@Helga0, it's actually funny that you think that my post was about soothing music, especially when 99% of it was about Community Guidelines.

Didn't mean to insult you, but if you still haven't understood the purpose of my post then, anyways, I'm off this thread.

Have a nice day 🙂

@Jeet0, your post was not about soothing music, you used the guidelines and a remark about soothing music to end the discussion. As you were not involved in it and have not delivered a single argument so far, this was inapprobriate - not by definition of any forum guidelines but by the rules of civilised behaviour. 

Have a nice day too.

Jessa0
Level 10
Ngorongoro, Tanzania

*** airbnbs grande roll out of a 'community center' neither managed by airbnb nor by hosts is the reason why the majority of hosts helping each other out on the old forums have no interest in this 'community'. *** I'm guessing it is due to the inflation in listings in the recent months not matching increase in demand that so many hosts find themselves with time on their hands to lecture and scold people for being in legally grey areas. Airbnb is in legally grey waters for that matter, across the globe, from Amsterdam to Cape Town to New York, hosts are fighting legislation. *** Hosts across the globe ignoring legal frameworks is the only reason why airbnb exists so please get off your high horse. As for the 'fines' - airbnb can't fine anyone who stops hosting, they're not the law, handing out fines is a distasteful move imo. @Alexander15 I hope you can, together with your landlord, talk to the condo board and try to sway them into thinking airbnb is nothing to be afraid of, just like some of the commentators here have done amazing work swaying local legislators into thinking airbnb is nothing to be afraid of.