Condo Board Sent me a notice to stop hosting

Answered!

Condo Board Sent me a notice to stop hosting

I have to cancel my reservations starting in a week after recieving a notice from my condo board.  What is the best way to do this?  Does this count as an extenuating circumstance?

A real bummer, I was having a great time hosting and meeting people.

Thank you

1 Best Answer

@Alexander, you could try to talk airbnb into considering the cancellations as caused by the same event and error and that they should apply only one penalty to all of them, not one to every single one. You have understandable cause for your error and it would encourage you to continue hosting with the same account and on airbnb.
Call them and keep trying. Try to get a case manager or get higher up and plead your good will. That you tried to minimise damage to guests and airbnb image should help, insist on that.
When the airbnb founders started to lodge students on an airbed in their living room, they did not have permission to do that either. Their "illegal" idea is worth billions today.

Unfortunately, this forum is getting more hostile by the day. And I could not even say if the unsolicited attacks are worse or the unmotivated All-is-well-be-happy nonsense the same people post on other triggers. It's just pavlovian reflexes is action.
I'm very sorry that you got that straight off when asking for help.
Good luck for your negotiations!

View Best Answer in original post

84 Replies 84
Lori26
Level 1
New York, NY

My former coop board allows any legitimate business to be conducted by owners in their apartments.  I followed the rules completely and was always at home while hosting.  yet they severely fined me and I had to stop.  Does anyone have experience with a good attorney on this issue?  Thank you.

Stuart21
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

Has anyone fought a condo board in Ontario , CAnada - I own the condo and they have a declaration that I cant rent it out on a weekly basis.....I find this un fair as other owners can rent them out monthly and make money - also my building is suppose to be a work /live building - so a lawyer can have clients in daily and I cant.....has anyone fought this legally ?

"I fought the law and the law won." - Old 50's song.

You bought into a Home Owners Association / Consortium.  Not a good idea.  Now you follow their rules.  Not your own rules.  Suck it up and move on.

Mike
AirBnB Treehouse for Rent
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7292887

Winnie-and-Danny0
Level 1
Vancouver, Canada

I get that as a tenant, running an AirBnB is a sublet and may not be allowed, but I am the owner of my condo and being told I cannot host. We rent out our spare room for spare cash and also to meet people... AirBnB is akin to a paying house guests and I don't think a condo board has the right to govern what I do with my room when I live here.

Ann169
Level 1
Vernon Hills, IL

how is association can find out that I'm a host?

If it's not frequently, they could be myu own guests. ?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Ann169. Perhaps it was through some neighbours? Difficult for anyone to know.

What association are you referring to?

Shannon75
Level 2
Paris, France

GOOD! people like you ruin the serenity and peace one should feel in their own home. It is terrible to have AirBnB guests coming in and out of the building you live in. I hope all condo boards follow suit, my condo board is now going to impose a $1,000 fine and I coudl not be happier! My Long term tenant has been subletting my condo without my permission, and it will be he who pays the fine, not me. All it would take would be for one of his illegal guests to break their ankle and my insurance would have to pay. Plus he's making money off of my back. It's called STEALING!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Wow @Shannon75

That's a bit harsh.

If you know your tennant is illegally sub letting - just evict him for breaking the terms of your lease.

Some people on this forum are rude and disgusting.

Many guests choose my home because their fur babies aren't welcome anywhere else. I'm currently babysitting a baby pomerainian for my sweet guests who are out kayaking and it's perfectly fine.

It seems as much as there are people who are pro Airbnb, great hosts, great guests, help bring another income for your household, you have others that are super assholes and want to try to ruin it because they have nothing better to do with their **bleep**ty, rotten lives than spy on their neighbors and make a lot of trouble for them where there isnt any. I hope you fall in a hole.

And as far as HOA, they can be fought. You just have to have the balls to fight them. You could even become board member or president of your HOA and change the world. Don't cowtow to anyone, especially these people.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

I know this conversation here has been going on for quite a long time and although I believe many of these older comments are not a true reflection of our community here, I do feel that the conversation includes quite a lot of personal remarks now, which are really not constructive to anyone.

I would like to remind everyone that being part of our community here is about respecting everyone. As I have mentioned before here in the Community Center, we are not always going to agree with everything that everyone says, but the way/manner we respond is really important. Not only does it greatly impact the direction of the conversation, but our comments can be really hurtful, not only to the person you are addressing, but to the others reading it. I hope reading this, you too agree that this is not an environment we want to create here.

If you disagree with something or you think a person could have done something in a better way, this is a great opportunity to pass on your experience in a supportive way. None of us are perfect and we can all learn from each other, I am sure we would all like to be treated in a way that doesn't make us feel embarrased, but welcomed and not alone. 

Let's be supportive and respectful to one another, I know this is easier said that done sometimes, but this doesn't mean agreeing with everything, just remembering that we are all together as part of a community and once in a while we always need a little help.

Thanks for your time and I am going to close this discussion to new replies.

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.