Confetti surcharge

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Confetti surcharge

Confetti is not just hard to clean, it is impossible. It clings to hard to see or reach spaces like the bottom of the couch (I am not going to turn it upside down every time I clean!) and later comes out flying when air conditioning or heat comes on. No matter how well we clean, we can find it in the middle of the living room days later.

Here are my choices as I see them:

1. say no confetti. I do have groups who like to decorate though and I also hate limitations and endless house rules. I also know they will still bring it and think they can clean it up and I will not know. Or they will argue that what they have is somehow not confetti 

2. charge a confetti surcharge. Let's say $25 and you still have to make a reasonable effort to clean it

3. I offer a "worry free package". Walk out in the morning and clean nothing. If you decorated- leave it all up; if you used the grill - dont clean it; have lots of trash- we will take it away. It has worked well for both parties so far. I can make the "worry free" package mandatory for confetti users. It is $100 (if you are gasping, this is a five bedroom three story house, I need to hire an extra cleaner when someone pays for the worry free)

4. do nothing and keep complaining about it here

8 Replies 8

@Inna22 $100 is not nearly enough for "worry free." That's just an open invitation for your house to be covered with far, far worse than confetti.

But anyway, is this a recurrent problem for you? As in, multiple groups of guests all decided it would be "fun" to throw confetti around in their Airbnb rental? Maybe that's just an American thing, like gender reveal parties (lord help us all). But even if you're allowing parties in the house, no guest should find it necessary to decorate in a short term rental - especially if that involves attaching things to your walls, confetti, or (horror of horrors) glitter.

Personally, I wouldn't allow parties in an Airbnb rental in the first place. This platform is not cut out for that. But if I were renting out an event location, I'd supply decorative items as a package deal, including removal, and require any additional items to be approved in advance, with a mandatory inspection with both client and host present before departure in order to release the deposit.

And of course there would be a real deposit, so obviously Airbnb would not be an option. 

@Anonymous I don’t allow parties as an a group of locals cannot rent my space to come together for an event. I also have a two night minimum, noise restrictions etc. Majority of my bookings come from groups traveling together to celebrate something. Whatever that as being the reason for their trip. They usually if not always go out at night. They are easy to host and I don’t mind them. Almost all of them do decide to decorate. Yes, shockingly I would say a third  have all of my stays think it is a good idea to throw off confetti around!

I thought of selling the decor but don’t want to bother. 
While I have had my place damaged, it was never by these people. They don’t want trouble. They pay really good money to be together and  are generally happy and considerate (minus the confetti)

I love the idea of a higher fee and inspection. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Inna22  totally agree with @Anonymous ,   the cost of worry-free cleaning 5 bd , 3 story house in Croatia would exceed  100$

The price for an organized party should be much much higher than ordinary nightly prices

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Inna22  a third! How bizarre! What the actual...? If it's this high, I would say 'no confetti' in your rules.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Inna22 these types of groups are fairly easy to spot (I used to host them too) bc it's all women in the guest list and they're happy to describe how much they're looking forward to celebrating Michelle's upcoming *****graduation*engagement*wedding*birth*birthday*promotion*divorce******. Rather than giving them a $100 get out of jail free card (I'd charge more for that), I'd probably try the scare tactic. "We're SOOO looking forward to having you and I know you'll have a great time celebrating Michelle!! I hope you've had a chance to look over the planning info I sent you and I did want to tell you about one thing that I could really use your help with. Post-pandemic folks have been really glad to be out and about again and it's led to some folks overdoing their celebrating, what happens in Chicago stays in Chicago, and such, but my cleaning lady has put me on notice that if she finds even one more piece of glitter or confetti in the house again that she's going to a) impose an excessive cleaning fee of $200 and b) quit working for me. I definitely want you all to have a great time, but I adore my cleaning lady and I absolutely cannot go thru the trouble of retraining a new group. I hope you don't find that petty but I'd so appreciate your help, I do know you'll love your trip, please lmk if I can help you with any plans prior to your trip! See you soon!! Best, Inna"

might be worth a shot

@Kelly149 you are too funny, I love this! And will use it! I can not wait to see their reaction. And you are spot on with their opening message quote

Hi Kelly @Kelly149 

I’d love to see your planning info you send your guests. Would you mind sharing with me? **

Thanks so much for your help! I love your response to confetti, it’s spot on for me!

**[E-mail address removed - Community Center Guidelines]

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Lee4338,

You need to remove your personal email address, because it's against the forum's policy.  @Kelly149 can send you a private message via this platform.