Confirmed booking wants to see the space prior to check-in date

Laura543
Level 3
Watertown, MA

Confirmed booking wants to see the space prior to check-in date

Hi All,

Just wanted to see what you all think about this...  I don't see a reason to be concerned, but I've been fooled before.  I have a six week booking checking in at the end of August.  They live in the area and plan to stay here while they wait to sign papers on their new home.  They've asked several times if they could come see the airbnb space prior to their visit.  They told me they want to see what they will need to bring with them.  My listing is very throrough with lots of pictures and it lists every item available to guests.  I can't figure out why it would be so important for them to see the space ahead of time.  What do you think?

Thanks in advance for your responses,

Laura

22 Replies 22
Christian65
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

You risk of putting your self in a potential troublesome situation.

Airbnb has ways to protect you during an ongoing booking but I would never let people in prior to arrival.

Tell them that it is highly unusual request but you'll assist them in any way the need - with answers or details or perhaps pictures.

Simply tell them that all they need to know is in the listing that is descriptive and that you'll of course answer all of their questions.

Tell them that the house has guests in it currently and you don't want to impose on those paying guests as it would be rude to them and therefore you can't have them over.

How are their reviews? Are they new Airbnb customers? You really can't be sure about their motive if there's no reviews on them.

Short answer: don't give them access @Laura543

Thanks for the feedback, Christian.  She's been on airbnb since Feb. 2016, but has no reviews.  I will likely follow your advice.  I especially like the idea of menioning that airbnb has protections in place for both of us during a booking, but not prior to one. 

Mostly, I'm curious what the movitive to visit early would be.  Maybe there isn't one and she really does need to decide what to pack or sell based on the size of my space.

No problem @Laura543

It is a good question. I must admit I sometime ago had a discussion in here with a fellow host who let this happen as the situation was similar to yours; people from the neighbourhood wanted to see their home for a month BUT please don't allow it.

Even though they MIGHT not cause any problems and just be the sweetest most honest people you've ever met but you just don't know, so you shouldn't take any risk.

Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

Remember one big thing: AirBnB's insurance does NOT kick in unless the guests have checked in on a current reservation. I would never, ever, let anyone into the unit w/o a reservation.

@Laura543 

@Christian65 and @Jann3 are absolutely correct. Potential guests should not be asking for prior access before their check-date. Do you think hosts asking to meet with guests several weeks before they check-in would be considered appropriate? NO!!! 

My listing is popular with long-term guests, mainly exchange students staying for a whole semester, but I would not entertain the possibility of potential guests waltzing into my home to "see what they need to bring". I would be willing to provide additional pictures and explanations to answer any questions. Also to be perfectly honest, I would be hesitant to allow any local guests - whatever their reason is. If they stay 6 weeks, then doesn't that give those guests tenent rights? I don't know relevant laws well, and from what I know each state is different, but please make sure you are completely comfortable with hosting these guests before you let them into your home. Good luck~!! 

Good point!

"Do you think hosts asking to meet with guests several weeks before they check-in would be considered appropriate? NO!!!"

I did not think of that.  Thanks for the feedback.

@Jessica-and-Henry0 is absolutely right. 

1. In many states stays over 30 nights automatically give tenant's rights to a guest.
  2. A long-term stay for a local person is extremely iffy. First it  gives more of a chance of the guests wanting to BRING guests into the location (as they have "roots" and friends in the area). Those guests of guests are NOT COVERED by the AirBnB insurance policy as they are not on the reservation and thus if they EITHER get hurt or damage anything, it's all on you and your homeowner's/renter's insurance.

I'd skip this reservation with the "uncomfortable with guest" reasoning. Nothing more. You won't get penalized by AirBnB by deliclining for this reason.

I didn't even think of that.  I have a lot to learn!  Thanks for taking the time to write.

Only problem is, they booked a long time ago.  It's really tough to find a room around here.  I would feel awful putting them out if their motives are honest.  Not to mention the $3,500 payout that I would lose.  My listing does not allow for other guests or parties without prior approval.  I live just above the airbnb space and will hear if they break the rules.  Hopefully, that will be enough protection. 

Laura543
Level 3
Watertown, MA

I drafted the following note to send to the guest.  I'm going to sit with it for a bit before I send it.  I may just decide to lie and tell her the space will be occupied right up until her visit.  I don't like doing that though.  Lying does not sit well with me.  Did I leave anything out?

Hi V...,

I have consulted with some folks at the airbnb host help center. Airbnb advises hosts to NEVER meet guests or show a space prior to a booking. But, since you have already booked, I was wondering if it would be okay to show you around. The simple answer is no, for a few reasons.

Asking to meet me or see the space I have to offer prior to checking in is no more appropriate than me asking to meet you before deciding whether or not I will allow you to book as a guest. It opens up all sorts of avenues for prejudice and discrimination.

There are also safety and protection issues to consider. I do not know you. You do not know me. Airbnb insurance is not in effect until after you check into the airbnb space. Neither of us is protected prior to that.

And finally, it’s against the rules. I value my relationship with airbnb. I don’t want to jeopardize that in any way.

I want you to be comfortable throughout your stay. I would be very happy to answer any questions you have about the space prior to your visit. The photos and description are recent and accurate. Please let me know if you have a specific concern.

Laura

@Laura543

I think emphasizing and making sure they clearly understand your house rules might be good to add. 

The only reason I'm comfortable hosting long-term guests is because they are all international exchange students and I know they will be in Korea for a limited amount of time on a student visa - so most concerns I would have about tenant or residency issues don't really apply. Local guests in your home for several months on end........ I'd be pretty worried that they will treat my home like their own and forget that they are GUESTS. Please let us know how things turn out 🙂 

Agreed.  Emphasizing and making sure they clearly understand my house rules is a good idea.  I've been pretty clear and upfront already.  The space is not ideal for their purposes.  I pointed out exactly why in multiple message exchanges.  Bottom line is, it's hard for people to find rentals where I live.  I believe what they are saying.  I will continue to communicate with them through airbnb so the conversations are documented.  On the off chance something goes wrong, I hope airbnb will have my back.   

Like you, I'm pretty comfortable hosting longterm guests.  That's not really my concern, although I will pay closer attention to what goes on downstairs now that I've heard other's concerns.  Thanks for writing.  I will be sure to come back and tell all about it should something go wrong.  Hopefully, it won't!

PERFECT... just make sure it's sent through the AirBnB messaging center. 🙂

Teri27
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

I do not like the sound of this, the continued asking to see your place physically when most listings are as thorough as possible with well lit photos.  How much more graphic can you get short of actually seeing it which is pretty much the same as.  They're obviously

first time home owners and why are they needing an interim place to complete the deal?  If they had a place of their own to begin with Im sure they would have heard of long closings which is what we do when selling to buy a new one so we dont get temporarily

homeless.  They sound very naive or just plain stupid and I am terrified for you they might 'have problems' around costs if theyre demanding to see what you have or dont have so they can bring their silly little traditional items or add thier furniture because they

couldn't afford or were too cheap to find storage if that is the case.  Almost looks like theyre scoping you out to see the square footage you have so they can have cheap storage.  I am speculating-- but as a former landlord Ive seen just about everything.  But my

bad experiences were to do with me being a bit on the desperate side to rent out so I ignored my bad feelings of the people I rented to.  I knew something disatrous cold happen and it did.  On both occasions when I panicked over the prospect of not having an income drove me and I paid for it.  

This is your investment!  Mind you all this could be entirely off course as I don't know all the communication that took place.   And yes I can be overly cautious-especially with things of this nature. . .

Thanks for responding.  I appreciate your concern.  I'm a landlord too in an area where there are more people looking for apartments than there are apartments available.  Plus, rent is expensive here!  I've seen some sad and desperate people.  I'm contantly reminding myself that even though this is my home, I'm running a business here.  I am a kind and generous person by nature, but I don't need to be so kind that it ruins me!

Is your concern that they may become squatters and just not leave?  I will look into my options under those circumstances.  That would be good info to know.