Confused how Superhost star rating criteria works

Punam0
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Confused how Superhost star rating criteria works

So this is what I'm confused about:

From Airbnb website:  'Received a 5-star review at least 80% of the time you’ve been reviewed, as long as at least half of the guests who stayed with you left a review'

Does this mean a Superhost must get a 5-star review for just the "overall experience" OR a 5-star review in ALL of the rating categories?

17 Replies 17
Leonie3
Level 7
Cape Town, South Africa

Hi Punam, you must receive 5 star ratings in all the catogories. If you get 5 star in all of the, the overall will be five as well.

Zandra0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Nope, wrong advice.

The ONLY thing that counts towards superhost is overall experience .
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

If overall you get 5 stars then you are doing very well - occasionally when you get 4 stars for one of the categories (like the dreaded 'location') then you may see something that says your rating is 4.9 but it still shows overall as 5

I so wish that the location rating was removed.  It is extremely frustrating to give as much information as is possible regarding the location of your listing and its proximity to local attractions etc only to have the guest decide you are in the wrong location, or not quite right for them.  As I have said on this subject previously, I have two rooms in our home that are let out and on a number of occasions one or the other (sometimes reversed) have been flagged by airbnb 'room for improvement' suggesting I should try to give more accurate location details, whilst at the same time praising me for having a space in such a great location.... They are in the same building for goodness sake!

I do realise, of course, every guest will have their own ideas regarding overall experience, value etc., but when, as a host, you have done exactly what you always do and yet you can get marked down for the one thing you cannot change - I give up.

Punam0
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Sorry, I am still confused???  So when they rate for:

1. Overall Experience

2. Cleanliness

3. Accuracy

4. Value

5. Communication

6. arrival

7. Location

if they give 5 stars for ALL of these...that's a '5 star rating?    

Zandra0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

No you just need to get 5 stars in the overall rating category 🙂
Sharon114
Level 10
Lincoln, United Kingdom

Just so.  No one will give you a 5* rating for overall experience if they only rated your cleaning or value at 3* or 2* for example. 5* for overall experience suggests that everything was pretty much top notch and as they expected.

Zandra0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Though you will get guests who give you five stars in every category and then 4 stars overall ! Sad times when that happens.
Punam0
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

no, that's not right either. You can still get 5* for overall experience and 3 or 4 star in the categories. I know, I've done it before as a guest!

Punam0
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hi Sharon, when I check my Stats. I have 76% for overall experience and over 80% in all the other categories. So your Overall experience rating doesn't reflect the categories.

Well you would think that this would be true but I just had one that I had 5 stars overall & 4 stars on a couple other categories & 3 star value. So I’m glad to know only the overall counts 

Barbora3
Level 1
Bratislava, Slovakia

I'm also confused - my overall experience: 5 stars 72% of the time (almost all other I have around 90% - sad times as Zandra said - I have basement apartment, It is written with big letters, but still - many guys probably didn't catch that) But: 5 stars trips - 81% of your trips .. . Hmmm - it might be counting with my travel stars also maybe? .. . 

Also: what percentage of overall 5 stars reviews I have to have for showing 5 stars in general?

It is not mensioned anywhere .. .

thanks for any answer (:

Zandra0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I'll repeat:

Only overall experience counts towards superhost status. It's really not complicated so no need to overthink this one.

72% refers to the amount of guests who have given you 5 stars overall. And yes they can give you 4 stars for location and still give you 5 stars for the overall experience. They can also give you 5 stars for everything and then bizarrely decide to rate the overall 4 stars. It's up to your guest what they want to do with the ratings.
Zandra0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I forgot to add if you've been hosting over a year suddenly the numbers don't match

For example on my dashboard it says 74% 5 stars overall and then it says 67% somewhere else. I think this is to do with one number referring to this year, and the other referring to all time.