Confusing Transaction reports show host fees for taxes/incorrect transaction type-Sales Taxes

Confusing Transaction reports show host fees for taxes/incorrect transaction type-Sales Taxes

I have been trying to interpret the last quarter transactions to file and pay my sales/lodging taxes.  For some reason the report has several transactions that were for tax collection incorrectly shown as reservation type, rather than pass through type.  There are also breakdowns for cleaning fees and hosting fees on these tax collection transactions.  While it appears AirBNB in fact paid me for the taxes to remit, the cleaning & host fees totals are now incorrect.  

These errors caused me a bit of extra work to 1. understand what the heck was going on, and 2. make corrections in order to complete my tax return.

I have called AirBNB twice to receive support on the issue and still await resolution, of just letting them know this is a problem.

I just want to caution others to look closely at your reports!!!

1 Reply 1
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

I use a basic spreadsheet that comes stock with the OS I’m using.  I keep track of income and expenses there, and I created formulas for the different taxes.  My payout is calculated from these numbers, and I crosscheck with Airbnb as a sanity check.  I find it is necessary to do this to analyze the business and file my taxes correctly.  Once I input the formulas, it has been pretty automatic and not a lot of work.  Everything is already totaled.