Connection bewteen 'Overall rating' and individual ratings?

Chris1492
Level 5
West Kirby, United Kingdom

Connection bewteen 'Overall rating' and individual ratings?

Just recently I got an 'Overall rating' of 3 stars (my first ever). Given that the guests had nothing but praise for the venue, I'm a bit put out - but that's not the issue. The guests gave the following ratings for the individual areas (in addition to positive public comments and zero private feedback):

2 stars - value

5 stars - accuracy

5 stars - check-in

5 stars - cleanliness

5 stars - communication

5 stars - location

Based on this, I think 3 stars overall is somewhat mean. Here're my questions:

1) Do guests get to select the 'overall rating' in addition to the individual areas? (Or, is the 'overall rating' calculated directly from the individual scores and not under the control of the reviewer?)

I have 74 reviews in total: this single 3-star review, four 4-star reviews and the remaining 69 are 5-star reviews. Two of the 4-star reviews and this recent 3-star review fall within a month of one another (approximately). My 'headline' overall rating has dropped from 5-stars to 4.9. I'm not unduly worried - however it got me thinking...

2)  How does Airbnb calculate the headline 'overall rating'? Does it come just from the 'overall ratings' of indiviual bookings, or do they go deeper than that?

It's a bit curious, isn't it? Would it be possible to cause havoc by leaving a 1-star review overall, but with a string of 5-stars for the individual areas? See my point?

With regards to this particular case, should I bother doing anything, or just roll with the punches and carry on with life?

Thanks for you thoughts, as ever, Chris  

Chris, UK
40 Replies 40
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Jenny349 

Our listing is identified as "unique" for good reason. We are not catering to hypercritical rich twits and one would hope that they would be reluctant even to enter the state of Arkansas for fear of contamination.

We're looking for the country boys who somehow got lured away to the city. They weep when they hear Hank sing:

I live back in the woods you see
My woman and the kids and the dogs and me
I got a shotgun, a rifle and a four-wheel drive
And a country boy can survive
Country folks can survive

I can plow a field all day long
I can catch catfish from dusk 'til dawn (Yeah)
We make our own whiskey and our own smoke too
Ain't too many things these old boys can't do
We grow good-ole tomatoes and homemade wine

Because you can't starve us out and you can't make us run
'Cause we're them old boys raised on shotguns
We say grace, and we say ma'am
If you ain't into that, we don't give a **bleep**
We came from the West Virginia coal mines
And the Rocky Mountains, and the western skies
And we can skin a buck, we can run a trot line

Maybe I ought to tuck that into my listing somewhere?
Jenny349
Level 10
Bordeaux, France

You should indeed @Brian2036 ! Seems to me you are offering a 100% genuine, authentic experience, in a 100% wholehearted way. In my book, that can only be A Good Thing !! 👍👍

Richard531
Level 10
California, United States

@Chris1492 @Brian2036 @Kia272 @Jenny349 @Sarah977 

I think if Brian can synthesize what he's saying a little bit more, I actually do like the general message.  And if whole-house hosts could meet guests, yes, we could try to discuss how the rating system work with them.  But if you are unable to meet the guests (most of us), we have to try and explain to the guests how devastating a 4-star review is while you have their 2 seconds of attention on the app (if you even get that).  

But let's all agree on one thing: ANYTHING less than a 5-star review is absolutely a failing grade.  If we don't agree on that, there's no sense discussing this.  

I've stayed at around 75 Airbnbs.  I've left less than 5-stars only a handful of times.  For example: a wet bed, filthy sheets, promised central A/C in the desert when it was a hallway swamp cooler, being mauled by a dog we were never warned about.  That's 4-stars.  The listings failed.  However, I gave them 4-stars because otherwise the homes were clean enough, the water was hot and the room’s door had an operable lock.  Less than 4 stars?  You are a competitor trying to hurt a listing.  Or, you are a downright bad person.  Period.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Richard531 

"Less than 4 stars?  You are a competitor trying to hurt a listing.  Or, you are a downright bad person.  Period."

That's a valid point that has not really been mentioned lately, although people have remarked that other "Superhosts" are often terrible guests.

Perhaps subconsciously (or entirely intentionally) they are comparing their properties to yours. Of course theirs is better in SO many ways, and you have the nerve to charge a comparable price? Shocking.

Or perhaps yours is obviously better, so, spitefully, they seek to destroy what they cannot have.

I would be very suspicious of a competitor in the local area who tried to book. They might be evil enough to do physical damage in addition to ruining your review record.

Chris1492
Level 5

I'm thinkingof framing this and putting on the wall in the studio. Comments? 

Please review your stay on Airbnb. I leave a review for all Seaside Studio guests.

As I’m sure you know, both Airbnb and Amazon (along with many other companies) use the classic 5 Star rating scale. However, Airbnb is unique in how it applies the scale. In my experience, few guests know this, and it can lead to confusion.

You will be asked to give a 1-to-5 rating in areas such as: value, accuracy, check-in, cleanliness, communication, and location. These ratings do not impact your Overall Rating. Please answer honestly. These ratings help me manage the Studio – they are not processed by Airbnb.

The only number Airbnb monitors is the Overall Rating. You award this independently of the above categories. This is where confusion can occur, as Airbnb applies the 1-to-5 rating in a unique manner for this single score.

For example, suppose you buy a book from Amazon. If it turns out to be a ripping yarn, you give it 5-stars. If it’s boring, maybe 2-stars. If it’s middle of the road, maybe 3-stars.

The above perfectly reasonable logic is not used by Airbnb for the Overall Rating. This is how Airbnb apply the 5 Star rating scale to the Overall Rating.

5-stars

Expectations met. The experience was okay (or better than okay).

4-stars

Expectations not met. The host failed to deliver.

3-stars

In effect, any rating below 5 is viewed by Airbnb as a ‘fail’ – it’s simply a question of degree. A rating of 1 to 3 stars is signalling that the venue is really bad.

2-stars

1-star

An Overall Rating of 4.8 is enough to lose Superhost status. Fewer than 10% of Airbnb hosts are Superhosts and we are rightly held to a high standard.

Non-superhosts are sanctioned if their Overall Rating drops below 4.7.

I’ve published six books and would be delighted with an Amazon rating of 4.3 – however, in the Airbnb universe this score would put a host out of business.

As you can see, applying the (perfectly reasonable) ‘Amazon scoring logic’ to Airbnb could lead to unintended consequences. Reality: the only ‘good’ score is 5 – any score less than 5 is a ‘fail’.

This is not an underhanded attempt to win an underserved 5 Star review. I absolutely want to you to rate your stay honestly. If there reason as to why your stay does not ‘meet or exceed your expectations’, I’d appreciate you telling me while you’re still here and while I have a chance to fix it.

What do you think, fellow hosts?

Chris, UK
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Chris1492 

I like it. Guests need to be informed and polite guests will appreciate it.

Compulsive editor’s note: I think your handy suggestion program caused this error: “underserved 5 Star review.”

@Chris1492  Far too wordy. I also don't concur with your ideas of what the star ratings should represent.

Airbnb should really give this sort of guidance to guests, rather than just 5* "excellent", 4*s "good", etc.

Here would be my explanation of star ratings:

5*: Property was as advertised or even better, host was responsive to any issues which might have arisen, in a timely manner and to the best of their ability. Stay was comfortable.

4*: Property was more or less as advertised. Minor issues were not addressed by the host. Some improvements could be made.

3*: Property was not as advertised, but was adequate. Some advertised amenities may have been missing or  not in working order. Host was not attentive to issues brought to their attention. 

2*: Poorly maintained and cleaned. Not as advertised. Unresponsive or rude host. 

1*: Completely unacceptable. Should be removed from the platform.

Chris1492
Level 5

Thanks for your comments @Sarah977 . I like your explanations / definitions. If they are the ones to which Airbnb adhere, that's great. My understanding (from this thread and others) is that this isn't the case. If there's clear guidence along these lines, I'll happily quote it. I certainly like yours - and if they aren't Airbnb policy, they ought to be. Thanks.

Chris, UK

@Chris1492 As far as I'm aware, Airbnb gives zero guidance to guests as to what the star ratings should refect. So how a guest rates is entirely subjective. One guest might think that because the power went out in a storm, which was outside the host's control, that it deserves a 3* rating. Another guest, in the same situation, may be the type of person who understands that s**t happens, that it was out of the host's control, and be unfazed, and grateful that the host was thoughtful enough to bring over candles and a flashlight and leave a 5* rating.

So in addition to guidance on star ratings, I wish Airbnb would make it clear what should be taken into account in ratings and reviews.

Like: 

An Airbnb review is meant to be an honest review of the accommodation and the host. It is not meant to address issues that arose because:

A. You failed to read the listing information and therefore had expectations which were not in line with what was described in the listing ad.

B. You would have preferred to be closer to the beach, downtown, etc. or in a different neighborhood.

C. The weather was bad and therefore you weren't able to go out to do some of the things you had planned.

D. You failed to communicate with the host to give them an opportunity to correct issues.

E. You didn't read the check-in info provided to you or assumed the check-in window was only a suggestion or didn't bother to ask the host if they could accommodate an earlier or later check-in.

F. You were called out for ignoring house rules, stated guest counts, or causing damage.

G. There was an issue beyond your host's control, like an area-wide power or Wifi outage, or the fridge went on the blink on Christmas morning and there were no repairmen available to fix it immediately.

Richard531
Level 10
California, United States

@Sarah977  I think I'm in love. . .  With your 2nd list above!  It's quite literally - perfect.  While I'm only "in like" with your 1st list on star rating guidance. . .  1 out of 2 ain't bad!  

I think that the 2nd list has to be in a guest's hand BEFORE the 1st list is even considered.  Then and only then can guests be properly educated on how to rate hosts properly.  

The problem is, neither can happen. . .  Guests are going to think "Some improvements could be made." (from your 4-star list) because they decided they don't like the fact that there is 1 bathroom in your 3 bedroom listing (even though they should have known that all along).  Boom!  4-star review.  Or they feel they paid too much to stay with you (they are the ones that decided to pay that much in the first place, though!).  Boom!  4-star review. 

Same with a guest's failure to communicate with a host.  I mean seriously, how about the guest that says NOTHING THE ENTIRE STAY even though you sent them welcome instructions, notification about a spa/pool service during their stay, followed up on how their stay is going, check out instructions, request for a review. . .  Then a week later, boom! A 4-star turd!  Oh, it's so awful.  

It's all a matter of how lucky you get with these 2% horrible guests.  They are all out there and they will eventually find each and every one of us. . . It really sucks!  

Veda3
Level 2
Aurora, MN

We have a large, 3 floor American Four Square house (c. 1907) that was the local hospital; in other words, never a glamorous millionaires place with chandeliers and fabulous millwork.  It is perfect for large groups:  we can sleep 25 or 26 people in the 9 separate units; three kitchens and 6 baths.  All twin beds.  We charge in the neighborhood of $20 to $25 a night.  A guest who rented a small unit with a kitchen and tiny bath for $50 a night left us a 3 because "bring your own pizza cutter.  And, "the tiny bath....).  The place has been gorgeously painted, is deliberately simple, impeccably clean and is great value for the money.  But, a 3.....knocked us out of our standing.  We can buy a pizza cutter, but no way to make a tiny bath bigger.  We have to live with it.