Convicted violent felons

Daniel1797
Level 1
Missoula, MT

Convicted violent felons

I had a convicted violent felon book my listing. He became aggressive with my and my 3 month old daughter.  I contacted airbnb. They proceeded to charge me for cancelling a reservation which is contrary to their policy below. Does anyone else find this dispicable?

What are the crimes for which you remove users from the platform?

Users with serious criminal histories may be removed or referred for further review if our checks show convictions within a certain time period.

Less serious convictions will never result in removal (such as disorderly conduct or marijuana possession).

Some other crimes may result in removal for a period of 14 years (such as felony burglary or felony larceny) or seven years (such as fraud or property damage) from the date of conviction.

Severe crimes may result in removal for a longer period of time or even permanently (such as murder, terrorism, rape or child molestation).

9 Replies 9
Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Daniel1797 I have a slight struggle with where you went on your post. Trying to understand it. 

If ANY guest got agressive with me and a kid in my place - out they would go, and  Police would be called if I was fearful for me or the kid.  I think calling Airbnb with that alone should have been plenty and enough to have them rehoused and OUT without penalty to you at all..................

and since that didn't happen - my guess is you went on the convicted felon thing and got way off the real issue here and pointed at Airbnb for what was wrong with a felon being on the platform and they got all defensive and you got shut down - AND that's a real drag. And it shouldn't have happened.

That a person  is a convicted felon is a whole other thing. So you have shifted it all to Airbnb doing wrong about  knowing or not knowing and keeping them off the platform- they might be doing some background checks but they don't have the time or monies to invest in all that. 

So I think you approached the issue incorrectly and you see the results - Sorry you had this happen.. there is NO room for anyone being aggressive and I am sure if that had been the full focus - Airbnb would have gotten him out of your place ASAP.  I could be way wrong here but  its just my take on it with your info.

hope it never happens again. 

there are some evil folks out there and unfortunately you got one. 

And the lesson I get from this is when we call Airbnb for help we have to be really cool and focused as they very quickly determine where they will go with a topic and so we have to be really cautious where we go, what we say and how we say it. Just learning myself Daniel.  happy hosting, Clara

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Daniel1797 well, I see your listing has been pulled - deactivated and when I see your review of this guy and what he wrote crazy and that's what happens...............I would call Airbnb and demand they remove his calling you names.............of course, it wasn't a good idea calling him A FELON!

good luck 

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Daniel1797, I agree with @Clara116 that you should have called the police! If anyone was aggressive toward me in my own home, they would be the first people I'd call! However, I'm curious as to how you know he was a convicted violent felon? Did you know this before or after he booked? And how did you find out? Did he tell you? If you knew beforehand, why would you accept him?

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Kath9 Hey, in the USA we have so much crime and so many criminials - there's data banks of information and if you have a full name and general idea where they are from or any info you can find out what they have done and usually too much about it. So I imagine @Daniel1797 did a background like check and came up with stuff on this dude.

I just reread the first post @Daniel1797  HOW DOES A GUESTS BECOME AGGRESSIVE WITH A 3 month old baby?? Are you kidding me - I wouldn't allow folks anywhere near a new baby or young child esp. when you don't have a clue what they are about and what their story truly is. As you see - there is unfortunately so much evil out there and when you invite a stranger (all guests) into your personal space with your family you are putting trust in ???? I am not sure ----- Airbnb CAN NOT police and check the bad guys for you - the world is just too big and people are too smart - as you see they get around stuff and scam at every opportunity and angle..............

And to give them free access and keys to your home and they learn all your habit/schedules/and more??? I guess I have just lost trust in that part of people and I also have seen real evil . 

I know there are hosts that rent to only women in their private homes - I wish I didn't have to be so honest with my thoughts and feelings but with the familes having to have a code word incase someone grabs their kid - perhaps rethink who enters your place. The child would certainly be confused when they are older - who to trust and not??? Seriously, women might pose less of a threat - or couples. But I would truly think about hosting just single men.

I wish you all only the finest and best and wish I could remove all bad from our planet - however, we must be either wise, smart or cleaver in how we motivate our worlds and those that have impact in it. Blessings, Clara

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Daniel1797 CURIOUS - did airbnb shut you down??? that last review on your listing is really something - him cursing you and you saying you called his probation officer! Really, who does this stuff???  

Some folks are not made to be hosts

Some folks just can not be our guests

Clara airbnb has been begging us to come back. Not sure why you're so up in arms about this issue. We took all our listings off. Isn't the main reason of leaving guest reviews to give other hosts an idea of your experience with that guest. 

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Daniel1797 I'm not up in arms as you say - but, it's obvious we have different ways of living and that's fine.  yes reviews are to give the experience you had with that guest or host. I am sure you could never understand where I am coming from if you were more concerned that Airbnb charged you for cancelling then that you had an aggressive man in your home. 

I can't seem to wrap my brain around you calling Airbnb and telling them about this guy and THEY didn't cancel him or was it you just cancelled him and that's why they penalized you. Its all crazy. And I am done.

Peace, Clara

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Clara116

Oh Clara, we all love a bit verbal 'biffo' !

Clara, I think there is a fair bit of reading between the lines here. @Daniel1797 does not mention this guest was aggresive in person, just on the phone. I am sure she would have made some mention in the review if he was face to face aggresive with her and her infant child.

If safety had been involved Airbnb would have acted instantly, you are probably right in that Daniel maybe concentrated more on the guests past than his present!

What I find interesting is, how did she find out he had an element of criminality in his past.

Is it really that easy to get details of a strangers past history over there just like that?  Just do a bit of a Google search!

Privacy and freedom of information laws in this country make that virtually impossible. You certainly can't just Google up 'criminal past'!

I know it would be handy to know at times but I personally find that a bit disturbing!

Cheers.....Rob

@Robin4 You can find out so much you would be blown away. Like when a person was charged, when they went to court, what happened, when they go again, what and who charged what against someone. We have so much bad stuff here and so before any volunteer work for your community - you must  be fingerprinted and a full background check it cost companies about $80 for each person - wild that it is so. There are so many with bad motives and so it is almost you will be checked out long before you are allowed entrance into a company or place to work/volunteer or such. I am quite embarrassed by my country often especially when I return to be with my dear friends in Germany - I lived there 8 yrs and so I see the world much differently than most of my usa people. And I never thought I'd have to use the German word for embarrassed having to do with my country and its leaders. 

So if I know your full name/ and/or AKA other names used,  date of birth and location - we can access all criminal info! Alot is public and now you can pay and find out everything on someone - what they own, how much money have have, all their debts, anything legal, marriages/divorces, any transactions cause over here in the Land of the Free - its Public................go figure Robin

p.s. I guess in Daniel's post - her very first 2 sentences threw me off as it sounded like in person???

I had a convicted violent felon book my listing. He became aggressive with my and my 3 month old daughter.  I contacted airbnb