Coronaviru

Diane479
Level 2
Amble, United Kingdom

Coronaviru

I have someone who has just requested a stay if 2 nights from tomorrow.

I was under the impression that Airbnb was preventing stays that start before 18/4/20...this is an entire property.

Help?

7 Replies 7
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Diane

Yes the guest shouldn't have been able to send a request. Easiest thing for you to do is block your calendar for April and May.

With the current guest, just decline the booking.

If you want to take guests you can register on Airbnb to accept key health workers.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Diane479 @Helen3 @Susan17  I was under the impression that Airbnb were blocking calendars for shared homes, but had just blocked IB on entire listings, whilst 'Request to book' remains?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52229021 

I don't see why hosts of entire listings have to register on the new scheme? Morally & legally hosts are to enquire as to the purpose of travel, and turn away, tourists, people visiting friends/relatives, any non-essential travel..... Not all key workers are health workers. So Diane's prospective guest MAY be an 'allowed' key worker...? - Then again, it's a pretty seaside retreat, so probably A JOLLY! - ASK!

I personally continue to accommodate (in my own home) a children's social worker 2-3 nights a week, who has been with me 3 years. (After 3 years we have social distancing off to an art!) He was horrified when I told him about the Airbnb restrictions. And he's an ex-nurse!

I also host a home carer, on & off, I'm not sure he would qualify under NHS worker schemes... Or be able to afford alternatives... Or know how to access them...... The carer is an ex-airbnb guest, who thankfully had my phone number before the lockdown... 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

No they introduced a block on whole listings too because sadly a large number of UK hosts with whole listings ignored the legislation and continued to let their places to holiday makers and others who aren't key workers helping to contribute to the spread of the virus.

An ex nurse should no better than to be horrified at such a sensible precaution.

Care workers are recognised by the government as key workers.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Helen3 Ah right! I just did a test in our area, & see you are correct! - I was going by the BBC news article which said requests were still OK, - either incorrect or has been superceded, owing to naughty people on jollies!

Incidentally, our local news tonight reported a district nurse having her tyres slashed, whilst she was temporarily billeted in a Lake District hotel, whilst helping out ..... Sad.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Yep.

Airbnb director Patrick Robinson said: "Restricting bookings on Airbnb to key workers and other essential stays will allow hosts to continue supporting frontline workers while following government guidance.

Bookings were being blocked from Thursday morning until 18 April at the earliest - and if the government extends the lockdown as expected, the ban will continue"

I could see private rooms in "serviced apartments" in London available to book on Airbnb earlier this morning. All regular private rooms and apartments did seem to be blocked off but of course, the ubiquitous Hotel Tonight link was right there at the top of the searches.. which it appears, still allows you to book hotel rooms and serviced apartments in London instead.

Nothing on the Hotel Tonight listings I looked at indicated that they were for key workers only, and while I didn't actually complete a booking for a hotel room or serviced apartment on there, so don't know if there would be a block on booking when you try to complete booking, it did let me proceed right the way through to payment stage (incl breakdown of costs etc), without any banners coming up to suggest it's not possible. 

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Susan17 

Conflict of interests and double standards. What next? Travel coupons available for use at 'Hotel Tonight' ?

Jesus @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 - don't be posting that.. you'll be giving them ideas! :))