Coronavirus Cleaning Tips

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

Coronavirus Cleaning Tips

Thought would pass on a sanatising tip.

The remote control has probably been sneezed on, touched with semi-clean hands, stepped on etc. and recognised as a major germ trap.

Rather than buying special remote control bags (if you can get them) I wrap mine in cling film, so that after each guest the cling film is removed, sanatised the remote control with a wipe and then wrapped again in fresh cling film.

If you have any tips, post them here to help everyone

6 Replies 6
Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

Thats good advice, just dont wrap it very tight or you will be changing batteries and responding to "Tv is doing funny things" calls @Chris232 , also, I suggest using microban 24 hour on the touch surfaces before guest arrival.  It proactively helps protect  surfaces like remotes and doorknobs from acting as petri dishes.  Stay well, JR

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Chris232  sorry, I don't get it. If you are sanitizing it between bookings, what's the point of wrapping it in cling film?

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 

Gives guests reassurance and its a quick cheap method. Besides general sanitizing can not guarantee you will get all the bugs from between the buttons etc.

Maybe I am being paranoid but I can not afford to get this virus, and I need to start getting some income in.

From an Electronics Technicians POV @Sarah977 , spraying some of these sanitizers on HID's (Human Input Devices) is often not so great for the HIDs electronics and carbon printed contact switches.  They hate moisture and deteriorate very quickly especially if the propellants have any 'tone's, alcohols or ether's in them which many propellants do.  Most shouldn't be sprayed directly on flat screens either cause they condensate on the edge connectors of the panels and sometimes etch the surface.  One of my profs did the saran wrap on the keyboards of one of the instruments I have to maintain and I have to say it works but its wonky and we still spray it with 80% PGA between uses.  I dont know if any of it works but were trying lots of things...

@Melodie-And-John0  Well, I don't spray things like that, I wipe them down thoroughly with a Lysol wipe or something equivalent.

I'm really familiar with the moisture issue 🙂 It's so humid half the year here that I actually keep remotes, batteries, and other small electronics in a Tupperware box with a tight fitting lid and some moisture absorbing beads when not in use. Years ago my remotes started doing crazy things- fast forwarding when I pressed play, muting when I pressed pause. I had the thought that they were damp inside, put them in that box with the moisture absorber and the next day they worked perfectly again.

@Chris232  No worries about thinking you're being paranoid- I'm being extremely cautious about not getting this virus as well. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Hi,

Wrap your leftovers in cling film to keep them fresh and prevent moisture loss. This convenient and transparent film also helps prevent odours from spreading in the fridge. Just be mindful of the environment and use it sparingly.