Cost cutters

Sara5210
Level 1
Bat Cave, NC

Cost cutters

Hi! My property is outside the Asheville, NC area in the beautiful blue ridge mountains.  We have been hosting for a year and, for the most part, have been extremely happy.

what are your tips on cost cutting while maintaining the feel and look of luxury and comfort? I already do the wholesale (sams, Costco) stores for detergents

sheets

bedding

soaps

cleaning supplies

towels

3 Replies 3
Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

I stopped buying pre-ground coffee (goes bad fast and I have to throw out what's left). So I bought a coffee grinder for $30. I let guests grind beans as needed. Only about 1 in 4 drink coffee. I provide Starbucks breakfast blend beans.

It's cheaper to just provide a $3 container of Suave shampoo (and $3 conditioner) than to provide these travel-size shampoos and conditioners. When it gets halfway empty (after several guests) I use the rest for myself. I bought some of these travel-size Airbnb shampoos and conditioners on Amazon. They smelled like janitor's cleaning detergent and they're just plain more expensive. I returned those immediately.

CVS Pharmacy sells 10 bars of Ivory soap for like $5. After a few guests use it I'll "retire" it and use it for myself, then stick a new wrapped bar of Ivory in there for the guests.

As far as sheets, I like the quality of plain old Target Store sheets. Target towels are too cheap though. I buy Bed Bath and Beyond Turkish ribbed towels. They last longer, especially if you can dry them in the sun, then tumble in the dryer.

I do my own repairs, including electrical work. I recently installed countdown timers for the bathroom ceiling heater and exhaust fan. Now I don't have to worry about a guest burning the house down because they left the bathroom heater on.

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

How do you feel about providing liquid soap in a pump instead of bar soap?  I am reading that many of the younger generation think bar soap is “gross”. 

Ann783
Level 10
New York, NY

In the US, January is usually white sale time… a good opportunity to pick up linens, bedding at a discount.  I don't go for a luxury feel - more like cozy and comfy as we market to families.