Costa Mesa, CA regulations for hosts

Maria12895
Level 1
Irvine, CA

Costa Mesa, CA regulations for hosts

Hello everybody!

I'm looking for any information about Costa Mesa, CA city regulations for the Airbnb hosts. Should I register with the city and get the license? How to make it all right and legal? Would really appreciate any information about the local laws and tax info.

Thanx, Maria

4 Replies 4
Erik231
Level 1
Costa Mesa, CA

Hi Maria, 

Hopefully you found this out already….no need to register with the city of Costa Mesa nor the county of Orange at this time.  

Any STR with owner or manager residing on the property where the listing(s) is/are located are allowed to operate in Costa Mesa.

Ciao, Erik 

Eric7020
Level 1
Costa Mesa, CA

August 2023 update. City Of Costa Mesa does not allow any short term rentals, even hosted rentals are not allowed.

I have this information in writing from the city direct. 

The good news is that I talk to the largest STR property management company in the area and they say Costa mesa normally follows Newport regulations which does allow short term rental permits, and the city of Costa Mesa should be addressing this subject within the next 6 to 24 months  

The city keeps rolling the subject to the next  meeting, so no accurate timeline of when it will be addressed.

Hi Eric do you know if there were ever any updates on this. Hoping to become a cost in this City bit haven't found any new info about it online. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Look on you local government website for information on their STR regulations @Bianca770