Could you go plastic free?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Could you go plastic free?

Plastic free.jpg

Hello everyone,

With regular stories in the news referring to plastic in our oceans, it does feel that there is more talk than ever on wanting to address these issues. As part of this, recycling comes up a lot, but even more so there is a need to have more of a reusable (circular) idea about the product that we use. However, as an individual how easy is it to reduce our consumption?

With this in mind, if you had to go plastic free, or look to reduce the amount of plastic you throw away, do you think you would be able to do this? Perhaps you are doing this at the moment?

It would be great to discuss and hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

148 Replies 148
Susana354
Level 2
Lisbon, Portugal

Hello everyone we at cosy castle in Lisbon  have some mesures regarding plastic free, for instance we have some coffee cups and bottles that guests can buy and use them during their travel which  helps them to keep away from buying coffee cups and plastic bottles.

all the best for everyone 

Susana

Fiona150
Level 2
Windermere, United Kingdom

compostable bin liners have been one switch we made.I have washable dish cloths and stopped using kitchen "sponges" Refilling toiletries from large volume packs, and eco friendly washing up liquid. I provide bottled water, but would be intersted to hear experiences of a water carboniser. Our drinking water is too nice to filter!

Joseph223
Level 2
Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong

I started to use a water filtered device attached in our kitchen faucet. There are lots of brand available in stores(i got a 5 stage medical grade filter). It is a good investment,besides going green I am saving money from buying bottled water, help save the environment and educating guest(and fellow host)

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

I'm so happy I found this thread!

My wife and I have worked for over a year to create an Airbnb listing that is entirely free of single use plastic waste.  Everything we buy is either via a bulk refill method or using some other kind of packaging, right down to our own supply chain.  It's been a huge project for us and we've chipped away at it over months, item by item, working to eliminate the single use plastic from our lives and our Airbnb.

My wife is an accountant so we also tracked our changes, step by step, to calculate the overall cost of the changes we made.  Overall the changes we made ended up saving us $3860 in annual costs, for everything from bread to toilet paper.  We were stunned and very pleased with the result.

For our Airbnb, here are some of the changes we made:

1. Making our own bread - we eliminated all the plastic bread bags by buying a high quality bread maker and making it ourselves.  We put a loaf of hand sliced bread into our Airbnb pantry for our guests, made fresh that morning (our bread maker has a delay timer).  Ordering bulk flour, sugar, and yeast that come in large heavy duty paper bags. We calculated the cost of each loaf, including electricity and depreciation of the metal breadmaker at NZ $0.89 per loaf.  Prior to this we were paying NZD $3.50 for the same amount of bread, with the plastic.   We get comments from almost every guest at how lovely the homemade bread is.
  2. Little glass jars with food in them - we buy all our guest pantry items in bulk at the 'fill your own container' places in our city, or else we buy them in big glass jars or metal tins at the bulk store.  We then restock little glass jars in the Airbnb with enough for each stay (larger jars for longer stays, little ones for short stays).  This includes peanut butter, honey, jam, marmite, breakfast berries, cereals and museli, coffee, sugar and tea bags.  From the bulk buying and reducing waste (by not giving them the entire jar to pollute with a dirty knife!) we have saved a massive amount.
  3. Milk in glass bottle - we refill our own glass containers at the farmers market every Sunday, who supply farm fresh country whole milk (great for making home made mascarpone and mozzarella cheese!).  We don't save money on this one compared to cheap plastic bottled milk in the supermarket but it's almost the same price.  You can't compare the quality though, we're getting Farm fresh pasteurised Whole Milk that tastes like it came from an actual cow... not the watered down rubbish the supermarkets sell.  People have commented how amazing the milk is.
  4. Cleanning & toiletries - we have refillable pump bottles in our Airbnb for everything from hand soap, to shampoo and conditioner, to laundry liquid.  Everything that goes into them comes from the on-tap bulk fill station at our local Commonsense organics or Bin Inn bulk store.  This applies even to the cleaning products used in cleaning the Airbnb.
  5. Toilet paper - this can be a hard one to solve, but we were lucky to find we could order a massive box of naked toilet paper (no plastic) from Greencane NZ.  They ship it in a box that is made from 100% recycled paper, plus there is no plastic anywhere outside or inside the box.  It works out 23% cheaper to buy toilet paper this way, plus it's not made of virgin tree fibres, it's made from sustainable bamboo fibre.
  6. Soap - We buy cardboard boxed Ecostore soap and cut it up into little portions, then hand wrap it in recycled paper, with hemp string and a bit of sea shell tied on the outside.  We find that people only use 1/4 of a bar you see, so giving them a whole bar to part use then throw away was not only costly but wasteful.  We've therefore saved money and waste by making this change.  People have commented what a nice personal touch it is to see the hand wrapped soap.
  7. Water - I'm sorry to say, we used to buy individual plastic bottles of water.  It's actually quite scary to look back and admit that now.  We have moved now to buying bulk spring water, which is even cheaper and avoids plastic. I'm now using the old plastic bottles from what we used to use as plant pots and have several potato plants growing in them... never seen such healthy potatoes.
  8. Market fruit - for some reason most of the fresh fruit in supermarkets where we live comes in plastic containers or bags.  We switched to buying all our personal vegetables and fruit, as well as Airbnb fruit, at the farmers market on Sunday's.  This cut out the plastic entirely and reduced the price of our vegetable and fruit spend by 60% (that's how overpriced things were).
  9. Tote bags - we provide little tote bags for grocery shopping to our guests, which are made of old fashioned sacking material.  They look like something out of the 1700's and have little labels on like "onions" and "potatoes" as well as a large one with a handle for other things. It keeps the theme going of no plastic, even though we haven't directly pointed it out.
  10. Fully compostable bin liners - we found some that aren't even made of plastic matter, they are made from some kind of fruit fiber.  Actually these turned out to be cheaper than our regular plastic bin liners.

So far we're getting great reactions from guests as, along with all the furniture made from recycled wood and drift wood, people can see the theme.  We don't push it at people or emphasise that our listing is plastic free, but we're enjoying the exercise for ourselves.

IMG_3424.JPGIMG_3426.JPG

It was quite a challenge to work out how to offer dairy items to guests, who expect it (and don't like when you try to offer vegan alternatives!), when we don't do the dairy thing ourselves.  But for a pair of amateurs, my wife and I have done the best we can and found plastic free options for everything we currently offer.  We're always looking for ways to improve too, so it's an ongoing project 🙂

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Wow, you are an inspiration @Ben551. It is great to hear you have managed to go completely plastic free. 

I'm definitely managing to reduce my plastic consumption and I'm certainly seeing a reduction in costs when I'm buying in bulk, such as oats and lentils etc. 

Are there any particular items/produce you find hard to find plastic free?

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

Hi @Lizzie - thanks so much! It didn’t get solved overnight, but we found the best way was to pick one thing per week to research and find an alternative for. 

On the difficult list were mostly things for ourselves, as opposed to the bnb. These were cheese (for the in-laws we found a deli that will cut us a block to put in our own container), bags of crisps (again for the in-laws we now make them), deodorant (switched to pure Alum stones), and my wife had to rethink sanitary items entirely (switched to one of those cup gadgets that last 80 years).

I think we were a little bit lucky already with our habits, like we make our own vegetable stock in a pressure cooker once per week (roughly) from saving peelings, so no carton bought stuff. We already used beeswax paper instead of cling film. We found bulk foil bagged coffee grounds eventually, but it took a while.

Um... nope, that’s all I can think of on the hard list for now. If you have a thing in mind you are struggling with, feel free to ask and I’ll recall what we did.

There are washable produce bags you can get instead of those nasty plastic bags from the roll at the supermarket

Yes!  I use them.  Much better.

Where do you get comparable bin liners?  I find guests often do not want bins in their rooms without liners.  I really dislike plastic ones.  By the way I would need to order them shipped, am on an island in Maine, US not New Zealand (a place I'd love to visit).  I do what you do for jams, etc.  My son gave me a pump bottle for soap that gives it out as foam.  It uses 1/4 the amount of soap, but you'd never know it.  Saves on soap in sewers. 

Thanks,

Joan

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

Hi @Joan157 - I'll see if I can help:

The bin liners we use are called EcoPack.  They are made from natural corn starch; plastic free, biodegradale, etc.  We get them in 2 sizes; 27L and 36L, but they come in loads of sizes.. even 80L.  They are made by a New Zealand company, but you could try contacting them.  The manufacturer is Ecopack (https://www.ecopack.co.nz) but you can buy them from the retailer Ecobags (https://ecobags.co.nz).  Not sure if they will ship them internationally but I'm sure you could contact them and find a way.

Ecopack.png

The best thing to do for jam is buy it in glass jars then, for guests, drop a few spoonfuls into a smaller jelly jar.  The quilted mini jelly jars are the best looking for jam, as it makes it look homemade.  The ones pictured below are about the right size.

quiltedjellyjar4oz.jpg

These cost me about NZD $3 per jar, including the lids.  They hold about 3 good tablespoonfuls of jam.  We also use them for peanut butter, honey, marmite... it looks pretty when they all match.  Plus, if someone pollutes the jar with a buttery knife you don't have to throw away the entire thing.  I wash out the jars and refill them for each guest.  I try to save the contents but not if it isn't super clean looking.  Plus if young children stayed, I just go right ahead and assume fingers have been in those jars lol.  I also found it faster to have a second set of them ready to do a quick swap out on turnover days.

Here is how the whole set of jars look, with the jam in the fridge, and the others on the pantry shelf.  All of them work on the same principle: we buy plastic free and serve plastic free.

Jam.jpgSpreads.jpg

Robert343
Level 2
Scottsdale, AZ

I got large 32oz pump bottles of essential oil body products from a company called Griffin Remedy from San Francisco. The shipping is free if you purchase over $40 at a time. I refill them from their gallon containers which also have pumps. The shower 32 oz bottles have plastic labels so last forever. I started buying it for myself as it was the healthiest shampoo I could find and guests love it. The only plastic that gets recycled are the gallon jars and they last about a year.

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

We decided we wanted to get differently packaged soap today, because even the cardboard wrapped ones we get are a bit wasteful because they are individually wrapped. Big bulk bags of small soaps come ... you guessed it... in a plastic bag.

So I’m heading out now to buy a small stove pot, some soap making oil and a few moulds. The oil comes in glass or tins, and I should be able to churn out 20 at a time. Doing the math it’s a big saving, just less than 60% less, even with the electricity factored in. Excluding setting time, it takes no more time than beans on toast... yep, let’s give this a go.

Sorted.

Maree23
Level 3
Yungaburra, Australia

Great reading everyones comments!

I have tried to go totally plastic free on a few occasions and generally the thing I can't get past is milk!  Where I live milk only comes in a plastic bottle and there's no option to refill. :(. Most other things I can get around by taking my own container.  I tried going milk free but it just made me sad! 

I do feel your pain Paul ... we're just setting up our home as an Air BnB while we reno another place and it's tricky to keep it Eco.  I was writing up instructions on how to recycle everything last night and I realised I sound a little crazy... ha ha!  Oh well see how we go!

Joanne352
Level 1
Castelo de Vide, Portugal

Hi, very interesting topic.

I have a self-contained studio, and I was shocked at how much food/drink plastic rubbish my guests were putting in the bin. I found it worse for short term stays..2/3 nights. So I now encourage my guest to use the appropriate recycle bins that I provided the and compost bin. I also recycle their jars to make preserves in!

I have always used nice refill bottles, and always make sure they are full and CLEAN. All the products are eco-friendly down to the washing-up liquid and washing detergent!

But I still feel I have a journey to go in changing more of the materials I use and educating my guests in a "super" friendly way:) 

Carol678
Level 2
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

We have no recycle here in my town in Mexico. So I leave some food and drink in the refrigerator with glasses that can be washed. Seems to work!

Carol