Council Tax or Business Rates Edinburgh, UK

Phil3085
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Council Tax or Business Rates Edinburgh, UK

Hi everyone, I was looking to get some advice regarding council tax/buisness rates in Edinburgh.

I've been renting the entire flat out constantly since I bought it 4 years ago and paying council tax.

I'm looking to move onto business rates as supposedly I'll get a 100% discount as the rateable value would be so low. 

I think i'd also get entrepreneurs relief on CGT when the time comes. 

Has anyone got any experience with this? What about water/sewage rates? bin collection?

I called the council t try to discuss it informally but they said i'd have to write to them with my address. I would rather have more info on it before doing that!

Thanks!

2 Replies 2
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Yes you should be registering for business rates. You will need to arrange for/pay for commercial bin collection. Normally a list of providers on your councils website. @Phil3085 

Water - I would check with your water company .

Jie177
Level 1
Portsmouth, United Kingdom

Hello, Just find these posts.  Do you know what's the threshold for business rate to come into force? Is the "rateable value" the same as rental income? I'm thinking of hosting by letting out a flat - never did anything like before, would really appreciate expert advice.

Many thanks!