Country location

Rima8
Level 2
Victoria, Australia

Country location

I am in a country location and my listing appears under a town nearby which is not really a tourist location but I am out of town and close to beaches and a national park that people want to visit. Can I adjust my listing to appear under the search for those places?

6 Replies 6
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

You will have to contact Airbnb directly, @Rima8. Search the forum - there is a topic how to do it.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Julia66
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

@Rima8  While you're sorting out the best way to enter your address details with @Marzena4 's help, you can maybe change the name of your listing to indicate the location you choose.  It won't change the search result pages, but could make your listing stand out.  Your headline photo shows your rural setting.  You have a beautiful house!    

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Rima8 I'm Rob, an Airbnb Superhost from Australia and I would like to offer you a bit of advice on your listing location issue.

Rima, when I do an incognito search, you are showing up in area search results, but near the bottom of the third page which means that most potential guests that are looking in your area will not get as far as your listing. There are 30 or more listings above you!

It is not so much the case that it is showing as 'Foster', it is that it is not showing in the general area. You need to to improve your visibility and the best way to do that is to get some activity happening on your listing.

My observations are as follows:

1/. Although you don't state it in your description you list a two night minimum stay and that is fine but, you charge the same amount for 10 guests as you would charge for 2! This is going to somewhat limit your appeal. Obviously you are not going to have the same servicing costs for 4 guests as you are for 10 and I would suggest to gain yourself a bit more appeal your should consider setting a lesser base charge and increasing that charge per additional guest....say $15 per guest after 4. This way you could bring your base cost down to an amount that would be very competetive with other comparable listings in your area that are sitting around the $200 mark per night.

2/. The algorithm that governs search placement responds to 'Activity'! The more activity on your listing the higher it will show in search rankings. It is wise to keep refreshing your site....every few days raise the price by a dollar or two and the next day reduce it! Add another photo or move them around. Change a house rule. Get a few friends to hit that 'Contsct Host' tab and ask a question. It doesn't commit anyone to anything, it just gets a bit of activity going on which will lift your visibility!

3/. The most important thing which will govern your search placement is the use of Instant Book. I was dead against Instant book until I was forced to use it and I have now become a fan. Of the 76 guests I have had this year 68 have come via IB and I consider IB guests to be of better quality than those you request a reservation. IB guests like what they see, just want to pull out their credit card and book! They don't want to ask lots of questions that would no doubt be answered in the house rules if they bothered to read them. They don't want to haggle over price or something or other....they just want to book.

IB hosts get preference in search rankings and IB is becoming the default search option.

Rima, there is much more that I could talk about when it comes to lifting your profile but I have to stop somewhere. The measures I have covered here will certainly get you up on the first page if you adopt them. I would forget about the 'Foster' issue! Nobody is going to put Fish Creek or Sandy point ....or for that matter Foster into there search options! They are going to search the general area. Make yourself as visible and attractive as you can in your area......and Rima, the bookings will come!

Cheers.....Rob

Rima8
Level 2
Victoria, Australia

Thank you for your responses. I only added the house today so I am not expecting results immediately!

I just wanted to make sure that being in a country location I would still be visible. I note that when I search the other nearby areas my house is also coming up. In terms of the pricing, the area has a peak season which is coming up shortly and I can see there is very very little to rent. This is why I have not offered discounts or special terms for less people. I will adjust that going forward.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Rima8 Sorry Rima, I hadn't realised it was a new listing and most of what I said related to a listing that was getting tired through inactivity.

Good luck with it, I hope your hosting career turns out to be as good for you as mine has been to me!

Cheers.....Rob

Rima8
Level 2
Victoria, Australia

Thanks Robin for the info I am sure it will be useful as I go along