Covert bookings

Duncan118
Level 2
Léguevin, France

Covert bookings

Hi all, 

I need a little advice and guidance please. 

We are hard working hosts and have just achieved Super Host status for the 4th time in a row. We very proud of ourselves and to date, all of our reviews have been 5 star but I think it’s all going to go wrong because of dishonest and covert bookings. 

It states quite clearly on our house rules that we do not accept pets and we are not suitable for children or infants. 

I had a confirmed booking in December 2020 from a lady who later confirmed she would be bringing a dog (not a service dog) I explained our house rules but she refused to cancel so I had no choice but to do so. That’s problem number 1.

Problem number 2 is this, I’ve had a couple of reservation requests for our 2 rooms stating children would be coming. I’ve reminded them of our house rules and the requests have been withdrawn. Both for the same dates and within a couple of hours of each other. I then receive a confirmed booking for the same dates an hour or so later for 2 people for 2 rooms (1 person in each room) and they want to call me to confirm sleeping arrangements. 

I’m a little suspicious that the rooms have been booked via another party for the people that have the children. 

As it’s a confirmed booking where do we stand if they show up with children? Or if the booking guest admits children will be coming can I cancel and not be penalised by Airbnb? I don’t want to lose my super host status because of dishonest guests exploiting loopholes in Airbnb’s booking system. 

can anyone help? 

all the best 

a concerned host

Duncan and Annabelle. 

17 Replies 17
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

I would never cancel a reservation on the platform itself.

For the person with the service dog, hopefully you have kept all correspondence on the Airbnb app. If so, call Airbnb directly, show them the guest’s refusal to cancel, and ask them to cancel for you.

For the person with the kids, it’s more of a quandary. I’m not sure about France, but in the US, I don’t think you are allowed to refuse children. You’re only allowed to dissuade them by marking the checkbox that says your place isn’t suitable.

In general, I would think it would be difficult to spot someone who had been cancelled, but then rebooked as someone else. For instance, a cancelled guest could just ask another member of their group to book. That member will have already been versed on what/what not to say, so it’d be hard to make the connection, unless you always obtain the ID of each guest.

Hi Pat271, 

Thank you for your super quick reply.

However, it’s content raises even more concerns. If by checking the “no children” box on the house rules is only a tool to dissuade people and not a categorical “No children” statement what is the point in the house rules? 

Surely, if it’s my house, my house rules Should always apply regardless and especially if someone has been surreptitious with their booking? I’m not prepared to break my house rules for the safety and comfort of our guests so I don’t find it acceptable that a guest can brazenly do so and I have to accept it. 

Please forgive my tone but I’m astonished that the “rules” are not more black and white. Or have I misunderstood? 

Thank you again for your quick reply. 

All the best. 

Duncan 

The checkboxes on Airbnb are

- Suitable for children (2-12 years)

- Suitable for infants (0-2 years)

The options are worded this way intentionally.

Here is what it says on the Airbnb website:

Age and Familial Status

• Airbnb hosts may not:
    • Impose any different terms or conditions or decline a reservation based on the guest’s age or familial status, where prohibited by law.
  • Airbnb hosts may:
    • Provide factually accurate information about their listing’s features (or lack of them) that could make the listing unsafe or unsuitable for guests of a certain age or families with children or infants.
    • Note in their listings applicable community restrictions (e.g., senior housing), regulations, or laws that prohibit guests under a particular age or families with children or infants.

The “where prohibited by law” is the sticking point, and I imagine the law is based on the locale.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Duncan118,  I don't think there is much you can do at this point except wait. If they show up with children, you are then at liberty to tell them that the property is not suitable for children and they will have to cancel (meaning they will be subject to cancellation fees). I would highlight the pool being a safety issue. If they refuse to cancel themselves, then you can call Airbnb and ask them to cancel on your behalf.

I'm not sure if you send a 'welcome' message to your upcoming guests, but if you do, you could include a couple of the more important house rules (because not everyone reads them). For example, 'Please note that the accommodation is not suitable for children because of the risk of drowning', or whatever. That way, you have it clearly written in the messaging system that you have communicated with the guest that children are not permitted. This would give you a better leg to stand on if you want Airbnb to cancel the guests.

@Kath9 I like the idea of the welcome message, thank you. I may change the description slightly to include the “house rules” as it seems guests do seem to gloss over them when booking. 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Duncan118 regarding children, you need to know your locality’s law on discrimination against families with children. Airbnb defers to local law on this.

For any rule you have that is legal and in compliance with Airbnb’s terms of service, you can always accept any booking with the condition that the rule will be followed. For example, to the guest insisting on bringing her dog, “Our house rules, to which you agreed when booking, stipulate that dogs are not allowed. We will be happy to host you, but your dog will not be admitted to the property. If you plan to stay, you will need to board your dog elsewhere. If this will not work for you, please cancel your stay to avoid paying for a reservation you will be unable to use.”

@Lisa723 Thank you, that’s great advise. I shall adopt your wording. Very well put. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Duncan118 if they turn up with more people (inc children over 2) than have been booked then you can refuse entry.

@Mike-And-Jane0 Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, What if they show up with a child under 2 years old? 
My problem is I don’t have the facilities accommodate babies, no cots, high chairs or the space in the rooms for such. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Duncan118  Just message the guest who booked back to confirm you are happy to accept their booking for two people and to confirm only those on the booking will be allowed to be at the listing. 

make sure you arrange an in person check in with these guests. 

there is a box you can tick on your listing to say you don't accept infants.  @Mike-And-Jane0  Is not correct on this you don't have to accept under 2's.

@Helen3  Thank you for the clarification. I will research the local laws in respect to hosting families in my area just to make sure. 

@Helen3 do you know the law in France? Based on @Pat271 's answer above this seems to be the key here.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Duncan118 I think you have to accommodate under 2s but the parents are responsible for all equipment

As I've already mentioned @Mike-And-Jane0  airbnb says, country laws allowing, you don't need to accommodate under 2s if they are for example safety concerns 

I've never accepted under 2s as I have a pond, open fire etc . 

EEF94C5E-13C0-4441-A289-3366DAE2553B.png