Covid Cancelations up until 30th June

Paul60
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Covid Cancelations up until 30th June

Hello all,

It is my understanding that a guest is required to provide supporting documentation such as a cancelled flight (and no other options available) in order to be eligible for a penalty free cancelation.  Am I wrong?

The reason why I ask is Im having guests based in the same country cancel and be refunded because their concert was cancelled.

Thank you all,

Paul

Sorry I found the answer in the policy

''' In order to cancel under the policy, you will be required to attest to the facts of and/or provide supporting documentation for your extenuating circumstance.'''

- Some battles ahead I think ...

Airbnb are Snakes.
21 Replies 21
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I had to cancel a June trip to Tel Aviv, @Paul60, and had to upload proof of: 1) airline not flying that route anymore, 2) the UK 'don't travel' advice from govt. website, and more. Whether they paid much attention to the docs, I'm not sure.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Paul60 I had UK guests able to cancel for June weeks ago when their reason given to me in a message was that the festival they were attending had been cancelled. Airbnb told me that they qualified through other means but, of course, they were unable to reveal what this was due to confidentiality. At the end of the day the cancellation may become valid as its unlikely it would be legal to holiday here in June but that was by no means certain when they cancelled.

Good luck with any battle - Unless you take them to arbitration there is no way to find out if the cancellation is valid as they will just quote confidentiality at you.

@Gordon0 @Mike-And-Jane0  Thank you guys.

If there is one piece of policy that I would like see changed is for hosts to be allowed access to this documentation.  It can be done.  

Airbnb are Snakes.
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Wit redacted info, possibly, but it's never going to happen (very pleased for you to prove me wrong, @Paul60). 

@Gordon0 oh yes I agree its never going to happen.  However there is no reason that it can't. ie it can be built into the policy.

Airbnb are Snakes.
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Paul60 If there is one aspect of Airbnb that I definitely do not like is their capricious application of their EC policy;  in reality it has always been part of the risk of doing business with them. Personally,  in two weeks I am coming out with a whole new set of pictures showing all the changes & improvements I  made during this shutdown and concentrating even more towards direct bookings and advertise also in a lot other booking agencies. The reaction to this virus, in many quarters not just by Airbnb should serve as an object lesson, which is - beware of too much dependency on one single entity or even a society in which one really has no control of.

Shaun69
Level 10
Hurstpierpoint, United Kingdom

@Fred13  I must agree with you on this one, we have been looking at lessons learnt during the pandemic and it is clear to me that multi nationals like "you know who" are incapable of incorporating national laws into multi national policy. HMG here in England have made it clear to everyone that "holidays" are banned until 4th July at the earliest, so it doesn't matter what policies are put out by a multi national company, its national law that takes precedence!  Anyway, anyone who puts all their "eggs in one basket" needs some serious help and an introduction into the real world!

Be safe and be happy Shaun.

Aye @Shaun69 I am not cynical at all by nature, but forever wary of society in general and like to have more than one option to at least economically survive, especially during their customary herd mentality. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Paul60  To add to the above I have just read that under English law (which is apparently similar to most English speaking countries law) a stay would have to be cancelled and all monies returned if the purpose of the stay had been to attend an event that was subsequently cancelled. All very interesting and it does suggest that Airbnb are actually doing the right thing in allowing some cancellations.

Read all about it here

www.theguardian.com/money/2020/may/22/frustrated-contracts-law-holiday-refunds-coronavirus

@Mike-And-Jane0 

I disagree.

First presumption from that article: 

"So long as the parties know what the purpose of the stay is, the cancellation of the event makes the contract impossible to perform as envisaged, as is likely to be the case where hotels market themselves and raise prices for a specific event".

Second diversion from the article:

"A stay would have to be cancelled and all monies returned"

You're missing that Airbnb are not the Oracle in knowing every Host's situation with bookings between them and their Guest, so cannot "do the right thing" because they have no clue of the circumstances. You are also forgetting one crucial little factor in giving Airbnb credit for that  "doing the right thing" - in the vast majority of cases, all monies are not being returned, and guests are being palmed off with vouchers instead.

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 providing vouchers is just a good business practice. Saving cash is key to survival AND ensures guests will return to Airbnb - Both of these benefit those of us who rely on them for our bookings.

If guests want cash then they can demand cash - The law is on their side provided they have done their research.

@Mike-And-Jane0 

Not providing a cash refund when it is expected is simply deceitful.

Corvid-19 is not a cash cow for Airbnb to milk for its own benefit, and you know - I'm pretty peeved when Airbnb say they're not fulfilling my cancellation policy for health reasons and will be giving my guests a full refund. Then, deciding not to give my guests a full refund but some manipulated promise instead, they keep hold of the cash, then have the Guest make the ridiculous ride of attempting to contact customer services with all its foibles to simply get the rightful resolution they were told to expect.

@Mike-And-Jane0 Yes,  English Law is the basis of all English-speaking countries and about another 1/3 of of the rest of the world today. 

Denice0
Level 10
Placitas, NM

I agree, Airbnb is deceitful in taking guest's money.  I just refunded my half, of a strict cancellation policy, to a guest (because they had no cancelled flight documents).  I personally don't think it's right to keep the guest's money during a pandemic.  This time, Airbnb kept the booking fee (which was expected); but they also kept the 3% credit card fee, that they charge me! 

Last week I was able to return that 3% cc fee to the guest.  This week while refunding, I was only given two options: refund (less the credit card fee), or a partial refund.  It wouldn't bother me, if they weren't deceiving the public with their "caring" PR spin.  Without a canceled flight document,  Airbnb pockets the 15 -16% booking fee, the 3% cc fee, throws the blame to the host - "ask the host for a full refund", and basks in the "we're doing the right thing" propaganda..  Hosts beware - watch the $ amounts they are refunding and explain it to your guests.  They appreciate it.