Covid Vaccination Certificate Requirement

Covid Vaccination Certificate Requirement

We closed our BnB cottage in March 2020 because of Covid. Yesterday we began accepting reservations for June 5 and beyond.

I thought we were being original. Our listing was updated with an opening statement that Covid Vaccination Certificates are required for every guest prior to them being given a key.  In addition to the Airbnb listing, we will include a statement with our response to their reservation request.

I soon discovered that we are not alone with that requirement.

Has anybody else done this? Has Airbnb made a statement about it. 

187 Replies 187

I'm in a state that approves regulations. To that I add that in 1905 the US Supreme Court ruled that states can mandate vaccinations. They seemed to uphold that precedent just this month when they ruled that Universities may require that their students must be vaccinated.  

Kim937
Level 4
Portland, OR

An Airbnb rep told me today that I cannot require that a guest be vaccinated in order to stay in my guesthouse.  Any info out there or did I just get wrong info from him?

I posted this question on Airbnb's facebook page. Waiting for a reply.

@Kim937 I've had this in my house rules for over a year (previously, "must be vaccinated if/when vaccines are available") and nobody has stopped me.

Thanks!

@Kim937 Please let us know. I haven’t had luck with responses from them.

@Kim937 It’s your property, your not obliged to accept anyone at all, the rep is wrong. It’s like saying, oh he/she is a prolific career criminal but you still have to accept. 

I have already added this requirement to my house rules.  I had a couple spend a week in my Airbnb and she came here with Covid and passed it on to her husband who is now hospitalized with Covid.  She exposed me, her PA family she visited and people living in my area.  I will not let that happen again.  People who refuse vaccination will not be welcome in my home.

I totally agree. I spoke to Airbnb help desk. I was told that I have the right to post that we require vaccination certificates. 

@Deborah1051  That’s horrible. I’m with you.  Please send Airbnb feedback requesting they add the option for both hosts and guests they want to stay at a place where host proves they are vaccinated or want guests to show proof of vaccinations before they stay. It gets rid of any tension if one feels the need for proof.

I have added the requirement in two places in my listing, house rules and description.  If I'm able to restrict the age of children due to safety at my Airbnb the I am able to restrict unvaccinated guests due to health safety.

Link to request AirBNB add an optional vaccination tag: https://www.airbnb.com/help/feedback

Anne8506
Level 2
Asheville, NC

Deborah1051  

I have only recently reopened my Airbnb for reservations after closing for a year and a half due to Covid.  I will definitely do as recommended in adding the requirement to my listing, but have a question...how much advance notice are you asking for a reservation request or is instant booking still acceptable if they say they've been vaccinated?   Do you then verify through messaging?  I too am amazed how many guests don't read anything!

I have just put the rule on my listing.  I will take an instant booking as that indicates they accept my house rules.  If they can't or won't provide proof, they will need to cancel.  I already require 1day notice and it only takes a minute to send a photo.

How have you worded the rule in your listing?  Are you requesting an immediate photo rather than the ability to provide it upon arrival?  I've had a few guests that are not computer savvy enough to send a photo of their confirmation.