Covid cancelation HYPOCRISY

Jannine6
Level 2
Quinte West, Canada

Covid cancelation HYPOCRISY

My question is this:  Why is Ms. Catherine Powell stating that Airbnb is working to give hosts the authority to make cancelations, related to covid, as they see fit but the "support" staff and the extenuating circumstances policy state that if you have already canceled a reservation without authorization then you are subject to penalties???  

In her video, Catherine Powell stated that Superhosts status will not be effected by canceling due to covid related reasons yet, I have ONE CANCELATION that was done TWO MONTHS PRIOR to my guests arrival and it HAS appeared on my status and is keeping me from being classified as a Superhost.  If that cancelation was NOT considered, I would have a PERFECT SCORE in all criteria!!!  Support just keeps saying that my situation doesn't fall within their covid criteria (and the only possible reason that I can see is providing the best customer experience for my guests BEFORE asking for Airbnb permission!).  If Airbnb is looking to improve its relationships with their hosts then perhaps they should LISTEN to LOGIC and create an environment where host actually DO feel supported!  I have TRIED to get support on several issues with little to no success.  It has not been easy to FIND a PERSON to speak with or to wait for days on end for answers to pressing matters!!!  

It appears that there is MUCH hypocrisy within this organization.  I have found my loyalty and commitment to this organization to be completely unappreciated and taken for granted!  Their are certainly other hosting apps out there and and an underappreciated SUPERHOST reject should have no trouble going independent thanks to their satisfied return visitors!!! 

Such a little thing is being asked of them and I'm very disappointed to see how shortsighted they are being.

1 Reply 1
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Jannine6 

I understand you cancelled a reservation, but it was not matching with the terms in the Covid Extenuating Policy, so it is considered as a normal cancellation (with penalties) ?

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2701/extenuating-circumstances-policy-and-the-coronavirus-covid1...

What are the details of the cancellation which you think it is matching with the policy ?

Best regards,

Emie