Covid cancellation

Nick86
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Covid cancellation

Need to vent! I had a booking made 2 days before the guests arrived (Wednesday) then on the day they were meant to arrive (Friday) they cancelled. I lost the money for the booking and had also turned down other requests to take her booking.

I get covid is bad but I actually don't believe the guest. She spent 45 minutes talking to me on whatsapp before then going to airbnb support. Is that what you do if you get covid??? Doesn't seem to me it would be your highest priority! 

Airbnb are being very generous with our money. How about they pick up the tab if they want to offer this policy?

I asked for proof and was told this wasn't possible. So I have to trust Airbnb who have done nothing to earn trust in previous encounters.

thoughts? They have closed down the conversation and would really prefer to avoid the financial hit.

thanks

8 Replies 8
Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

@Nick86  What exactly is the reason for cancellation related to covid? Is the guest sick with covid ? If the borders are open and flights are not cancelled, Airbnb will not cancel non-refundable bookings for this reason.

Nick86
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I was never told - I think they were worried that they might have it and were told not to move (but i didn't believe this story). They lived locally in the city about 40 minutes away from the apartment.

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

@Nick86 The guest needs to prove with documentation that they got Covid. Otherwise they won't get refunded. It counts as extenuating circumstances. 

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/2701/extenuating-circumstances-policy-and-the-coronavirus-covi...

Russell49
Level 10
Katoomba, Australia

I would definitely ask them for proof. Tell them their refund depends on this.

Nick86
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

thanks for your thoughts

the refund has was given the same day by airbnb - it has taken over a month to get someone from airbnb to respond to my request for more information and they tell me they can't show the proof since it is private.

But there is no way they could go from suspected (which they told me two hours before checkin) to a proven case in less than a couple of hours . This was in NE Brazil where they definitely didn't have this capacity.

I am being stonewalled by airbnb who just keep telling me that I am not entitled to payment

@Nick86

Guests can "attest" to being sick with Covid (that is, just state to the support agent that they have covid, either over the phone or in the messaging system - no further evidence needed), to receive a full refund, as long as they agree to accept it in the form of a voucher. 

Penelope
Nick86
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

even though they told me that they had suspected covid?

So to be clear, Airbnb doesn't lose any money, Airbnb that multi billion dollar company, whilst the host takes the full hit on the cancellation. That is deeply immoral. I can't believe that is true

That's correct @Nick86, and unfortunately, it's very true. 

Penelope