Covid suggested restrictions - should I cancel?

Nikki339
Level 2
Olalla, Canada

Covid suggested restrictions - should I cancel?

Hi - so I host in a rural area of Canada. Most of my guests are coming from Vancouver to de-stress and relax. We just had a Public Health Order saying that recreational and social travel from the Lower Mainland (which includes Vancouver) should be postponed. That's should - not a ban... I have Vancouver guests coming for a three-night stay later this week... should I cancel them? I wasnt hosting when the pandemic first hit - so dont know how things went then. Any advice, much appreciated. Thank you. 

4 Replies 4
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Nikki339 

Inform the guests about the new rules and leave the decision to cancel (or postpone the trip by  changing the reservation, if agreed by you) to them.

I see your listing offers a separate accomodation (no sharing).

Oh yes - it's TOTALLY self-contained. I very often don't see guests at all. No sharing of anything. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

It's not just a matter of your listing being self-contained. What the govt. is trying to do is discourage people travelling, as when they do they can spread the virus around on their travels. And although you don't need to have any direct contact with your guests, they will probably be going out and about in your community, stopping along the way- do you want to take the chance and responsibility of them bringing the virus there? This is exactly what the Public Health Order is designed to combat. If people ignore it, then you ca look forward to even more stringent orders in the near future.

If it were me, I'd get them to cancel and refund them, because I believe in being part of the solution regarding this virus, rather than doing things that could encourage more infection. Just because it's worded "should" doesn't mean it's something to be ignored. Something called a "order" seems like a pretty clear mandate that you and the guests should follow. 

@Nikki339

That's good advice. Thank you.