Craigslist rental scam used my street address and photos

Susie0
Level 10
Oakland, CA

Craigslist rental scam used my street address and photos

Someone came to my door saying he wanted to rent my place. Someone had posted my address with some photos and details that I include in my Airbnb listing in an ad on CL. Luckily he had not (yet) sent them money.

I just changed my listing setting to not show my precise location.

I also checked the box saying to send guests my details only AFTER the free cancellation period.

Only once have people cancelled after booking.

I wondered if anyone else had had their rental be used in a scam and if you had had people cancel after booking (thus getting your address).

So many theories about how the scammers got this info, but I'm zeroing in on the idea that they could have used Google Maps after seeing the block my place is on to get the precise address.

Would love any thoughts. Thanks

3 Replies 3

@Susie0 While I  haven't had any cancellations I have had photos of my place used by scammers to try and get deposits from unsuspecting renters, with crazy stories about how they had to move to another country and hadn't had time to find a tenant for their property. It was a typical scam that has bee used for several years. They download your photos from your listing, then upload them to their ad on Craigslist. 

As far as exact address goes, if you show the front of your building and a general area, they can search for it on Google maps to get your exact address. They probably used your address, in case someone wanted to make sure the photos were real and decided to drive by.

Ava30
Level 10
Eureka, CA

Hi @Susie0 : I suggest you remove any photos that show the outside of your home and neighborhood that can be seen from the street. I notice you have a red door, that seriously stands out. I have pictures of the front of my listing Only in the Check In Instructions that get sent a couple days before arrival. I live in a smallish town and with the general location and a picture of the exterior, people that are up to no good, could find my home. Since I have also checked that Check In Instructions get sent after cancellation period, I can be pretty certain they are going to a genuine guest. Good Luck! 

Here's my scary situation.  Someone booked an apartment I have on airbnb for a night, copied the key, then posted a fully furnished apartment rental ad on Facebook marketplace and started showing the apartment as if he was the owner!  Easy enough to figure out when it's vacant by simply checking if it's availability on airbnb. He would show the apartment,  and collect a security deposit and give the victims a set of keys. (Not actually for the apartment, just a random key.)  We only found out what was going on once people randomly started showing up saying they're the new tennents!  Feel sorry for them. Needless to say, I'm switching over to a digital smart lock.