Create a "LGBTQIA Friendly" Badge for hosts

Create a "LGBTQIA Friendly" Badge for hosts

My house is not suitable for little children, many items not kid safe and I have poisonous indoor plants. I am glad Airbnb has an option where we can "opt out" guest with children. I'm sure parents appreciate that hosts specifically caters for children.

In the same vein, 

As the world has many diverse cultures and beliefs, it would be beneficial for LGBTQIA guest to filter out hosts that has an LGBTQIA Friendly Badge.  It will give the guest peace of mind that they will be thoroughly welcome to the home and may boost the bookings for those who display this badge.  

I also Imagine single women travellers may be more accepting to live in a house where the live in owner is a single male, but has an LGBTQIA Friendly Badge , thus open more doors for hosts whereby single female travellers may avoid the house if the host picture was just of a single male owner.

If Airbnb could trial this for a few months that would be great !

Note: I'm just stating from observation of  "world scenarios" like the new emergence of female only train cars in many developed countries and not just putting stereotypes cases , again there's always exceptions to the rule.

35 Replies 35
Lando2
Level 2
Berlin, DE

being queer myself, i know very well that is does make a difference if i know - the place is welcoming  truly this part of my identity, or it's just tolerating it (because it "has to", and because i'm bringing money)!

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

I'd put that badge on my listing. I know there's still need for it.

I host in a conservative area. We've had hate crimes against gays. My friend in an interracial relationship feels uncomfortable holding her BF's hand in some places. A cop in my town was fired after showing up at an Anti-Trump rally with a huge confederate flag on his truck to shout down protesters.

No wonder guests tell me they appreciate the inclusive messaging on my listing and rainbows on my house.

People can feel the difference between "I'm barely tolerating your presence" and "You're welcome and accepted here". Nobody should have to spend their vacation time and money with a host who disdainfully deigns to host them. 

My concern is that by having this kind of endorsement, those who don't "opt in" are essentially "opting out" of the non-discrimination agreement that ALL hosts should uphold.

I also wonder how many other badges we'd need to create:

Hijab+ so my Muslim sisters know they're welcome?

Interracial+ so interracial couples feel safe?

Poly+ so non-traditional couples feel welcome?

Immigrant+, Vegan+, Fragrance sensitive+, Autism+....

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Mel140 you inspired me to make a thing and add it to my listing photos.aviary-image-1565166663891.jpeg

Thank you!

GREAT ONE  seriously imagine if the host  hate LGBTQ people and are are forced to let them stay in their homes because of Airbnb. I dread to think of the consequences.

Cristina2055
Level 2
Bretteville-Saint-Laurent, France

Yes! Totally agreed.. as a gay woman I would really look for this and I think I would love to host people from my community :))

@Cristina2055  Opening my home up to guests means I am open and welcoming to all- I don't feel like I need some special badge to show that. Because I host only solo travelers, I have no idea what my guests' sexual orientation is, unless they wished to share that with me. It matters not a whit to me what color my guests' skin is, what nationality they are, what their sexual preference might be. The only thing that matters is that they communicate well and behave respectfully. 

One thing you might consider conveying to Airbnb as a gay woman who might be discriminated against- Airbnb removed hosts' ability to see guests' profile photos until after a booking is confirmed. It's supposed to cut down on discrimination, but I think that's the wrong way to go about it. I know a few guests have mentioned on the forum that they would prefer the host see the profile photo before a booking is confirmed- if a host is prejudiced, they would prefer that the host get to see a photo of them with their same-sex partner or see that they are black, or Asian, or whatever, before the booking is confirmed, rather than after, because they wouldn't want to arrive to find that they got bad vibes or treatment from the host, nor would they want to put any $ in the pocket of those who discriminate.

What are your thoughts on that?