Create a "LGBTQIA Friendly" Badge for hosts

Create a "LGBTQIA Friendly" Badge for hosts

My house is not suitable for little children, many items not kid safe and I have poisonous indoor plants. I am glad Airbnb has an option where we can "opt out" guest with children. I'm sure parents appreciate that hosts specifically caters for children.

In the same vein, 

As the world has many diverse cultures and beliefs, it would be beneficial for LGBTQIA guest to filter out hosts that has an LGBTQIA Friendly Badge.  It will give the guest peace of mind that they will be thoroughly welcome to the home and may boost the bookings for those who display this badge.  

I also Imagine single women travellers may be more accepting to live in a house where the live in owner is a single male, but has an LGBTQIA Friendly Badge , thus open more doors for hosts whereby single female travellers may avoid the house if the host picture was just of a single male owner.

If Airbnb could trial this for a few months that would be great !

Note: I'm just stating from observation of  "world scenarios" like the new emergence of female only train cars in many developed countries and not just putting stereotypes cases , again there's always exceptions to the rule.

35 Replies 35
Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

I quite like the intention behind this idea.  I would be quite proud to put a tag on my listing that showed support for all kinds of diversity and inclusion... including LGBTQIA, mental health, special needs... basically so long as our listing can physically accomodate people's needs, we're up for it! 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Mel140 I can't keep up with all these letters 🙂 For instance, I have no idea what the last I and A stand for.

I can see where the designation might make some guests more comfortable with booking, but the fact is that Airbnb has a non-discrimination policy, so that designation could lead people to think that other places weren't open and welcoming to them, which is not the case (Oh, I'm sure there are some predjudiced hosts out there, but I don't think they're that prevalent).

Comparing that to kid- friendly isn't a good analogy. Just because a listing isn't kid-friendly doesn't mean the host has anything against children, just that the listing isn't set up for kids (might be in an adults-only building), or is unsafe for them. I have 3 grown daughters and 5 grandkids- I love kids, but don't accept them as Airbnb guests because my place would be unsafe for them.  

While I'm sure Air BNB  hosts are great overall, but do an everyday host know the various venues that cater for the LGBTQIA community ? They do exist and are growing for this select group of people. Why do they exist ? Because they are a profitable venture. The LGBTQIA community prefers to mix with similar people that's why. What do an everyday hosts know what to say or what not to say in front of a LGBTQIA guest ? What is normal conversation that is deemed inappropriate to a LGBTQIA person ? I believe if hosts are not prepared they may get a low rating or worst a lawsuit on their hands.

In my town, there's a few clubs catered specifically for the LGBTQIA community, there's even a coffee place that is always packed to the brim and frequented by them. On the internet there's a tour group company specifically catered for LGBTQIA people.

It's a growing phenomenon.

What better way to showcase to this group by proudly carrying a badge that says you are welcoming to them ? And that the community can filter out the list to only chose from hosts who have this badge. At least you give them a choice to choose. Some may pick any random house with or without the badge but those that do display it may be fully booked throughout the year !

I am very interested in this option because I'm gay and host a private room in my home. While *I* don't discriminate as a host, I would prefer someone to NOT choose my home if they will be uncomfortable with me being gay. If there is an LGBTQ-safe badge then the travelers can assume that the host may also be a part of the LGBTQ community.

It's also irrelevant if anyone knows all of the words that make up LGBTQIA+. Either you're in the community and we know to support each other appropriately, or you're an ally who understands that the acronym in itself means the person is someone who doesn't want to be lumped into *heterosexual.*

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Mel140  I'm not a sports fan. If I had a guest who wanted to know the best sports bar venues here, I'd be at a loss. So should there also be a badge for "Sports fan-friendly"'?

I should think that LGBTQIA people would do some research into venues they would like to check out when they visit a new area, just like other travelers might research museums, art galleries, restaurants, good places to spend the day with their kids, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to what you're suggesting, and I'm sure it would make a lot of folks feel comfortable about booking a place as opposed to going in blind and encountering some kind of weird vibes or something. I just don't think that a booking platform needs to identify every possible type of host that a traveler may resonate with.

During certain sport season, it would definately be a plus point if hosts have subscribed to a paid for sports tv channel and would be watching the match throughout the night in his converted garage sports bar with his boisterous mates cheering on.....  having a sports fan badge is also a good idea.

As more and more hosts are joining the platform, having a little special highlight that could be filtered out would give guests more selection and a happy stay don't you think ? 

Coming back to the point,  Air BnB should also give the hosts a more wide variety of options like vegetarian , vegans,  or special food requests, maybe even religious background. 

More options to allow our special guest to choose. 

Would a guest who is vegetarian because they love animals be holding back from lecturing their host when the host brings home a fresh piece of bloodied meat from the butcher meat to cook ?  I personally know people who are vegeterians who would only go out with friends who are similar. 

Would a guest chose a house which has pets living in it knowing they are allergic to pet dander? 

Hence a LGBTQIA guest may like to choose a host that have this badge or then again may not care and choose homes because of pricing or location

what is needed is to give a few more options and choices for our guests to choose from (ie , add on to airbnb list of options, kid friendly, airconditioned, near transport, off street parking availible, swiming pool availible ...... and hopefully "LGBTQIA friendly). 

The choices or highlights are really not exhausting lists.

If theres a need there will be an app made for it,  already there are alternatives to Air BnB based on this needs , hence hosts who are LGBTQIA Friendly will have already applied to host for alternate Airbnb type apps. 

It will then be Airbnb  loss of revenue for not specifying clearly to cater to this group.

Article taken from the internet showing the viewpoint of the community:

"Traveling as a lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT) person comes with a certain amount of risk -- especially when traveling on a global level.

This level of risk is intensified when LGBT travelers stay in unfamiliar locations, or have to rely on apps like Airbnb to book rooms in stranger's homes or spaces. For this reason, a new app called [ name removed for obvious reasons] aims to help queer people find safe spaces to lay their heads at the homes or spaces of LGBT individuals, families or allies while abroad.

"When you choose to spend your holiday in an apartment rented online, the risks are right around the corner," [name of app developer removed for obvious reasons] "For an LGBT traveler, these risks increase. [What] if the person who is hosting doesn’t like the idea of an LGBT person in their house, or even an LGBT couple or family?"

"Besides avoiding feelings of unease or discrimination, being hosted by an LGBT or LGBT-friendly host makes it easier to socialize and [gain] knowledge of the local LGBT community......."

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

It will not happen, I am sure of it. However, some hosts and travellers write in their profile who they are. Others use a rainbow filter on their profile picture or a rainbow background.

Many years ago other booking sites had a badge like this, and of course since nobody wanted to miss a booking, everyone ticked it. Was really meaningless.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Mel140 

Word does seem to travel without too much promotion Mel. My eldest daughter is gay and in a wonderful long term relationship and some of her friends have come and stayed here and the word seems to have spread. A high percentage of our guests are now gay couples and they are wonderful to host....very respectfull of the surroundings and so appreciative of the welcome they receive.

Last month we hosted three gay male couples in their late 50's early 60's in unrelated back to back bookings, and you could not wish for better guests. Hugely funny and outrageously colourful and I gained the sense that, for the more senior couples, much of their lives they have faced persecution to some degree or other and when they arrive here it almost seems like they have found a safety island in that pedestrian crossing on the highway of life, they open up and become the most wonderful company and there is a genuine sadness all round when it is time for them to go.

Mel, in this game, we host people, we don't host genders...prospective guests read reviews and get to know the type of hosts and guests they are going to get by what they read, and the experiences of others.

I would not be in favour of a specific identification. They will find their way to you, they don't need a badge to do that!

Cheers......Rob

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I'm with @Robin4 on this one. As one of those LGBTQIA folk myself (although I admit not to knowing what all the letters stand for), I would much rather make my decision on the vibe the host gives, vs a 'badge'. It has always worked for me, and additionally, we get lots of L and G (I know those two) guests who somehow find us. 

Well its all an effort to avoid misunderstandings. As a host we are expected to be utmost impartial. But in that saying , i have three rooms availible, and advertised as a stand alone.

The different guests that arrive may not have the same beliefs,  say one room is with a person or couple who has strong views against LGBTQIA , while another room is LGBTQIA.  And this then creates a negative experince for all.

If the badge is availible, any guests who apply to the house will have an expectation to be more accepting of others. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mel140 The 'couple who has strong views against LGBTQIA' has no place in the world of Airbnb. Personally I'd rather a 'No bigots' badge, but fear that's unlikely to be made available anytime soon.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Mel140

Mel you are prejudging people.....don't!

Last year we hosted John and Tineke, a lovely couple from Norwich in the UK. They had come to this side of the world to visit their daughter and grandson but had a falling out not long after arriving and we had to take John and Tineke under our wing for the three weeks of their stay.

They were lovely people,. but John did have very puritanical views about gender.....I think the only contact he had ever had with gender specific events was with the Gay and Lesbian Mardi-gra in Rio!!

During their stay our Sarah and Lisa, her partner, arrived for a few days . John took to both of them like a duck to water....he actually had no idea what being a loving person in a wonderful relationship was all about.

IMG_0443_2.jpgJohn left here a much more tolerant person than when he arrived! he realised that people just love people and gender has F*ck all to do with it!

Don't prejudge what your various guests may think Mel!

I am not a lefty or a righty.....I am not a wet or a dry, I am just me, and I like to think I just judge everyone fairly.....and it hasn't done me any harm to this point!

Mel, your attitudes belong to a civilisation which has passed in this day and age. We don't hang a tag on people any more, we accept them........ and as long as they are good guests, all in Gods world is OK!

Cheers......Rob

@Mel140, I'm gay myself and have no idea what I and A stand for. I agree with @Robin4 and @Gordon0. I don't see a need for a badge and actually view these sorts of measures as divisive, not inclusive. I too would rather base my decision based on the host's profile and reviews on an individual basis.