Creating a rule so check out is not allowed on certain days

Sarah1349
Level 3
Charlotte, NC

Creating a rule so check out is not allowed on certain days

Hello everyone, 

I just submitted feedback to Airbnb that I would like to be able to create a rule that prevents guests from checking out on certain days. The check in rules are helpful, but don't always work as intended. For example, I created a two day minimum rule for December 31st and January 1st, saying that guests must check in on December 31st. I was trying to avoid any check outs on January 1 out of respect for my cleaning crew. However, a guest booked from December 30th - January 1, getting around this rule. I have had this happen before as well on holiday weekends; I have a three day minimum set, but the guest starts the reservation before the holiday weekend (and therefore the rule), and ends up checking out half way through. 

If we were able to create rules that prevented check out on certain days instead of just night minimums, I think this would solve my problems. I encourage other hosts to submit this feedback as well. (I tweeted, spoke to customer service, and then was also given the feedback link.)

Has anyone found any other solution to this type of problem? I still have my "rule" created for Christmas but also added wording to my listing to please not check in or check out on Christmas. Any other ideas? 

8 Replies 8

Yes, I would like to have that too. OR is something like this already exisitng that anyone knows how to do it?

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Sarah1349 ,

When booking only the check-in date and is considered which rules are  attached. So yes, a rule 31 dec-1 jan works not on 30 december. It is  a common mistake hosts think a rule acts also like a "wall".

But it is possible to set the days preventing a check-in and/or a check-out. It is a setting in the rules set !

Best regards,

Emiel

Sarah1349
Level 3
Charlotte, NC

I'm not sure you can do that other than blocking your calendar. I am fine if guests stay over holidays, I just don't want them to check in or out on those days. Airbnb didn't seem to think there was a way to prevent check out on certain days. If you know of different settings, I would love to know where to find them! 

Emiel1
Level 10

@Sarah1349,

I included a screenprint, so you can see what i mean. The rulesets can be created from the multikalender section.ruleset.jpg

Thanks so much for this screenshot! It looks like maybe this is rolled out for your area and not for where I am hosting (Savannah, GA, USA). I can't find anywhere that check out rules are available - but regardless, I want them for specific dates vs every single week. I think it would be a helpful tool for peak times for hosts. I really appreciate you digging into it for me. It looks like we have the same setting without the option to set check out. Screen Shot 2018-11-13 at 4.57.05 PM.png

Emiel1
Level 10

@Sarah1349,

The screen you show is the one when managing a listing under "availibility"

Mine is the one which can be used in the multicalender (and has much more options for rulesets), but as you have only 1 listing, you probably do not have the multicalender.

But when i look at my screen in "availibility" settings, it looks the same as yours, but the "specify days of the week when guests can't check-out" also there !ruleset1.jpg

Ohh that makes sense. A multicalendar! That makes me so curious about what tools are available to hosts with multiple properties. Hopefully they will expand more to one property types like me. 🙂 Thanks for teaching me something new! 

Matt3332
Level 1
Washington, DC

Yes, hosts need this flexibility to maximize occupancy.  My unit is in Washington, DC, where a lot of bookings are made by tourists coming for weekend trips (or long weekends).  Guests who make reservations with check-out on Saturdays decrease the likelihood of another guest booking that Saturday night.  I understand if some markets would be in the opposite situations, such as beach communities where the  norm is to rent for 7 nights from Saturday to Saturday, but it is more important in other markets to keep Friday and Saturday nights in tact (setting day-specific night minimums would be counter-productive (except for a 3-night minimum on Thursdays); hosts would eliminate themselves from too many prospective guests if they made rules requiring all guests to stay on Friday and Saturday nights regardless of which day of the week they check in).